REW doesn't see RME line in

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Nyal and I were doing some measurments today and we got stumped with my RME hdspe aio soundcard. I have a tascam I can measure with so we still took some good sweeps but I would prefer the setup to be as synchronous as possible.

We had jriver setup in WASAPI loopback so I can send REW's sweep out to my DAC over the RME's AES out. That part works great. I can hear the sweep and see it in the RME mixer. But when I set the RME line in on the REW input I can only see the mic signal in the RME mixer, so I know its not a mic, mic preamp or cabling problem. The problem is that REW doesn't see the input signal. We also tried routing the input through default windows recording device to "line in" which is the RME's stereo input and using the direct output in jriver instead of ASIO. That didn't work either. Anyone have any Iidea what we are doing wrong? Mojave? :)

Last edited:

prerich

May 21, 2012
Nyal and I were doing some measurments today and we got stumped with my RME hdspe aio soundcard. I have a tascam I can measure with so we still took some good sweeps but I would prefer the setup to be as synchronous as possible.

We had jriver setup in WASAPI loopback so I can send REW's sweep out to my DAC over the RME's AES out. That part works great. I can hear the sweep and see it in the RME mixer. But when I set the RME line in on the REW input I can only see the mic signal in the RME mixer, so I know its not a mic, mic preamp or cabling problem. The problem is that REW doesn't see the input signal. We also tried routing the input through default windows recording device to "line in" which is the RME's stereo input and using the direct output in jriver instead of ASIO. That didn't work either. Anyone have any Iidea what we are doing wrong? Mojave? :)
Mojove is the expert, but I'll take a turn at it. Nyal is very well versed in HTPC's so my suggesstion may not help but it's worth a try. Using the loopback function - you must use a "dummy" sound card (like the one on your motherboard. Since the loopback is working - the problem is not in your PC settings. I think the problem may lie in your REW soundcard preference settings. Which soundcard are you reading from? The problem has to be in the soundcard routing. I actually use a Dayton UMM-6 Microphone so I don't have to calibrate my soundcard and REW automatically selects the proper input - it's not an earthworks but it works ;) . It's just a thought - I'd do like you've started to and trace down your soundcard routing ...good place to start at least. ;)

.... your thoughts Mojave?!!!!!

mojave

Oct 29, 2010
Elkhorn, NE
Did you try just the most basic setup in REW without the JRiver loopback?

What is your input signal chain? From you're post I understand you are using a mic preamp and the analog input on the RME.

I had a similar problem a while back and I think the issue was in my mixer settings. Like you, I could see the mic input in the mixer, but couldn't get it to record in REW. I either had the mixer routing incorrect or had muted the input in the mixer.

But when I set the RME line in on the REW input I can only see the mic signal in the RME mixer, so I know its not a mic, mic preamp or cabling problem.
Now that you said "I know . . ." there is an 80% chance that it will turn out to be a mic, mic preamp, or cabling problem. :D

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Thanks Mojave! I am on vacation now so I can't fool with my system. I needed a break anyway. I think I will be able to get it all working if I try again. Getting synchronous loopback has proven to be very difficult to achieve in my case. I think it's still possible to use REW effectively with seperate devices in and out as long as I am not relying too much on the time measurements in higher frequencies. I got what looks like accurate measurements using the rme out and the tascam in. My other problem has to do with my DAC. The totaldac uses a 1023 samples jitter rejection buffer. REW will take the measurement but I need to reduce the buffer in jriver and rme card as much as possible, otherwise REW won't take the measurement. Of course, I could use another dac but I want to use my real listening gear to measure.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing