Capital Audiofest - Thoughts, Reviews?

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Anyone have any post-fest things to share?

My highlights were the two reel to reel rooms. Meeting Jonathan Horwich and hearing his tapes on that system was amazing. When I walked in I told him that I was afraid that I couldn't buy any of his tapes. He looked at me a bit funny until I announced that I owned them all already. He gave a little background or critique on each tape he played.

Bruce in PA

Greg Beron / UHA

Member Sponsor
Apr 5, 2012
Washington DC
www.unitedhomeaudio.com
Hi Bruce,
I thought the venue was a bit better this year, access to the hotel may have been better and free parking in downtown Silver Spring was nice. Not to mention a short walk to Ray's steak house, great food.

However some of the rooms upstairs were small, like Jonathan Horwich's room, what was it 7 or 8 feet wide???
It was good he had MBL stand mounted speakers in there, a pair of floorstanders may have caused a boom fest, but he did get great sound in there.

Maybe it was just me but I thought the attendance was lower than last year, however the last show I did was Newport and I was on the main floor, first room off the bar area, we were mobbed!! That show is really BIG, what was it 6000 or 7000!
Gary Gill and his group were most accommodating, the hotel staff was great and surprisingly we got all our gear off the truck right on busy Georgia Avenue straight down the hall to our room with little trouble.
Everyone who attended seemed to be happy with the equipment, manufacturers, dealers and distributors that materialized for the event, hopefully we'll have another Capital Audiofest next year.
Gary also did a great job of bringing in the press, Peter Breuninger, Myles Astor, Art Dudley, Scot Hull, Mike Fremer, who am I forgetting???
Myles and I had a chance to have some adult beverages at the bar and catch up, you know sometimes what is great at these shows is just hanging out with like minded folks.
We had the usual fun at the after hours Master Tape Events but when we drank up all the vino I think some may have regretted starting on that Tawny Port at 2am??
Hindsight...

BTW Bruce, I liked the R2R rooms too.

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Another highlight was walking into the Odyssey Audio room and seeing Peter Breuninger filming an AV Showrooms segment. I had spoken to him on the phone just three days before and it was great to meet him. To be honest, he was the reason I had jumped on a train from Philly to make the show on Sunday.

I also enjoyed the Washington Audio Society room. Very nice guys with fun vintage/DIY equipment and a very "non-audio-show" selection of music.

Great show, kudos to all involved.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing