I'm gonna buy me a Soundsmith Strain Gauge.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Jeffrey, unfortunately my air LT arm is a real bugger to finetune re azimuth, SRA etc. I may v well be missing out on an extra degree of magic.

My advice to you would be to investigate after market PSUs for the energiser. In my case it's night and day compared to stock.

JeffreyB

Mar 13, 2019
I'm curious whether the wall warts you received from SoundSmith were SMPS, given you reside in the U.K. and the analog warts supplied here in the U.S. would probably not work for you. They do seem to work very well here -- with care of setup, the result is very satisfying.

In any case, this would be interesting to try. I wouldn't doubt for a second that changing power supplies would change sound.

Best regards.

Jeff

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Jeff, I believe they're cheap'n'nasty
I can only go on what I've heard, and that is that a bespoke overspecced psu, w audiophile pwr cord, DC leads and fuse, makes a massive difference. Lower noise flr, more delicacy and air.

JeffreyB

Mar 13, 2019
Hi

I understand you believe they are not ideal, I just wondered if you ever used them yourself.

Thanks!

Jeff

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I did, they came as standard when I bought the cart.

JeffreyB

Mar 13, 2019
Thanks, I had assumed the 120V linear supplies would not be provided in the U.K..

I can't imagine it getting better! It's amazing now. I only hesitate because there's no way to try it before committing. But that's pretty much how things have evolved in the high-end I guess.

Best,

Jeff

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing