I'm gonna buy me a Soundsmith Strain Gauge.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Thanx, Jonathan. I can't comment on the Anna, but I'd second your thoughts on the S'gauge. The top end is so unlimited, attack on the money, and decay of notes so natural, that it's as close to live music as I've heard from analogue. The closest I've ever heard to analogue 15ips tape. It sure helps that timing and tracking issues are eliminated further with the rest of my rig, that the cart can really strut it's stuff.
And surely replacement styli at only just over 10% the cost of retipping an eg Atlas, and money saved taking the phono stage out of the equation, are massive selling points.

theophile

Thanx, Jonathan. I can't comment on the Anna, but I'd second your thoughts on the S'gauge. The top end is so unlimited, attack on the money, and decay of notes so natural, that it's as close to live music as I've heard from analogue. The closest I've ever heard to analogue 15ips tape. It sure helps that timing and tracking issues are eliminated further with the rest of my rig, that the cart can really strut it's stuff.
And surely replacement styli at only just over 10% the cost of retipping an eg Atlas, and money saved taking the phono stage out of the equation, are massive selling points.

I have ordered mine to come with two spare stylii. Heck, I might even pay for one more. It obvious that the initial cost of entry, even for the SG-200, is what puts most people off. I got lucky and was left some money via a deceased estate. I considered a pair of subwoofers for my KRKs or a better phono stage. I know that the magic in my system is generated at the Source. A new and better phono stage would have move the sound quality in the right direction without doubt. In the back of my mind was the lowest price Soundsmith Strain Gauge option for only a few thousand dollars more than the phono stage I was considering. The possibility of a stunning advance in sound quality from the Strain Gauge cartridge was just too good to resist. My esteem for the cartridge I currently use, Soundsmith's The Voice, spoke to me of the quality of the Soundsmith brand, convincing me to make a move further up the ladder. Now that I've taken the leap of faith, despite the considerable outlay which is the single most expensive component I have ever purchased, I am at ease with the choice I have made.

I'm sure that many who look at the list of the other components would argue that the money would have been better spent upgrading them. I'd beg to differ.The other two major components the Truth and the KRKs won't be going anywhere for a long time because they are the best I have heard at their price range and for a fair way beyond. My turntable is also a mighty performer, especially when properly isolated. The possibility of a stunning advance in sound quality from the Strain Gauge cartridge was just too good to resist. The only qualm in my mind is the current satisfaction with the sound of my system. Hopefully the arrival of the Strain gauge will destroy that qualm.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Theo, any news on your Straingauge purchase? You want to get on with it, it's my final destination in carts. Don't delay, you're missing out :cool:! There must be other WBF contributors that have got this cart and could comment, let's hear you all!

theophile

som,

I got an e-mail from the Aussie distributor and he said that Peter was attempting to get it to me before Christmas. That leaves today(it's Dec 23rd here) and tomorrow. I'm not expecting it until the New Year....

The last sentence was not meant as a jab directed at Soundsmith. It is a bespoke item. Made as ordered. Not 'off the rack'. I can wait. It has been paid for and the rest is just setting it up. To be honest my Soundsmith The Voice is a key ingredient in the best sounding system that I've ever heard once the turntable isolation is optimised. I can't imagine what the Strain Gauge will bring to the system. As it stands I never knew that any recorded music could sound as good as the reproduction that I experience in my current system.

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
som,

I got an e-mail from the Aussie distributor and he said that Peter was attempting to get it to me before Christmas. That leaves today(it's Dec 23rd here) and tomorrow. I'm not expecting it until the New Year....

The last sentence was not meant as a jab directed at Soundsmith. It is a bespoke item. Made as ordered. Not 'off the rack'. I can wait. It has been paid for and the rest is just setting it up. To be honest my Soundsmith The Voice is a key ingredient in the best sounding system that I've ever heard once the turntable isolation is optimised. I can't imagine what the Strain Gauge will bring to the system. As it stands I never knew that any recorded music could sound as good as the reproduction that I experience in my current system.

Peter is truly one of my favorite people in this business. Totally trustworthy. Nothing at all to worry about.

theophile

I have complete confidence and absolutely no reservations

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Theo, not familiar with other S'smith carts, but you're going to be well and truly STOKED with your new acqusition. The only caveat, and it's a major one, is that you MUST set it up correctly esp wrt azimuth. Then you can forget about a slight tendency to thinness, and really revel in a tonally full sound, but with lightning reflexes and speed. And with no spotlit, attention seeking character.

Jhellow

Jul 12, 2011
Hardly. Anyone who has read my reviews over the years can vouch for that.

1. Sorry but there's simply no way in hell that the Parnassus is better than the Titan. You're looking at the sound of the Parnassus with rose colored glasses or using it with a solid-state system The Parnassus is soft, romantic, undynamic and very colored compared to the Titan. It's low output also made matching it to a phono stage all the more important.

The Titan, which I still consider among the best cartridges available, Achilles' heel is strings. Still it's worlds better than the Parnassus. The Atlas leaves them both in the dust. (FYI, this is all personal experience in multiple arms.)

I suppose it depends on which variant of the Parnassus we are talking about. The original ventilated blue body has Platinum alloy magnets and the purest iron cores imaginable. Those parts are reused in the Olympus build. The original Parnassus is very very good, and a far different and better cartridge than the later Parnassus DCT. I have not heard a comparison of the Olympus with the Atlas, but the folks at Lyra seem to think the Atlas is the better cartridge, but then again they cannot source the parts to make an Olympus any more.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hardly. Anyone who has read my reviews over the years can vouch for that.

1. Sorry but there's simply no way in hell that the Parnassus is better than the Titan. You're looking at the sound of the Parnassus with rose colored glasses or using it with a solid-state system The Parnassus is soft, romantic, undynamic and very colored compared to the Titan. It's low output also made matching it to a phono stage all the more important.

The Titan, which I still consider among the best cartridges available, Achilles' heel is strings. Still it's worlds better than the Parnassus. The Atlas leaves them both in the dust. (FYI, this is all personal experience in multiple arms.)

I suppose it depends on which variant of the Parnassus we are talking about. The original ventilated blue body has Platinum alloy magnets and the purest iron cores imaginable. Those parts are reused in the Olympus build. The original Parnassus is very very good, and a far different and better cartridge than the later Parnassus DCT. I have not heard a comparison of the Olympus with the Atlas, but the folks at Lyra seem to think the Atlas is the better cartridge, but then again they cannot source the parts to make an Olympus any more.

I've pretty much had them all over the years and now use the Atlas (I'd like to hear the Etna one day in my system but have too many to review right now). I don't agree on the Parnassus and possibly some of the differences are maybe attributable to the arm/phono stage then since they were pretty low output. My biggest complaint was the lack of dynamics though eventually using the Graham 1.5 arm partially reversed that observation.

I still hear that softening/softness in the Olympus. Pretty, but not quite right. YMMV...

theophile

I've just got the news that my Soundsmith Strain Gauge cartridge has landed in Australia. I should be getting it within the next few days. I won't be installing it immediately however. I have a new set of inteconnects to audition(High Fidelity CT-1) and I don't want to make too many changes to the system at once in order that I get a clear picture of the contribution of each element.

I'd also like to buy a SME style headshell with adjustable azimuth. Any suggestions?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sorry Theophile, can't help with that. My Trans Fi Audio Terminator T3Pro air bearing linear tracking arm has twin pivot points to allow reas easy adjustment of azimuth. You won't get the beat out of the cart unless you can get a handle on azimuth.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Just about to receive my new Red Wine Audio Black Lightning battery psu for the Straingauge SG200 energizer, to replace the cheap'n'cheerful twin DC wall warts that came with the cart originally. Will post my impressions in due course.

theophile

Just about to receive my new Red Wine Audio Black Lightning battery psu for the Straingauge SG200 energizer, to replace the cheap'n'cheerful twin DC wall warts that came with the cart originally. Will post my impressions in due course.

I'll seriously look into the ps option. I noticed when I unboxed mine that it has a smps. Not impressed. I have yet to mount it.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Theo, it sounds amazing despite these cheapo wall warts. The promise of a massive boost in SQ with an overspecced batt psu has me pretty stoked.
Important note, if you go down the Red Wine Audio Black Lightning batt psu route, make sure you email Vinnie Rossi first. It appears the SG200 has different voltages for each input terminal, and the twin batt pack (two batts in one chassis with two o/p leads to replace the two separate wall warts) will be rendered non op if the cables aren't specced correctly. I found this when I first imported the BL psu, and it didn't work out the box. I had to send the batt psu AND SG200 to Red Wine, and after testing the leads have been configured, and we're all hoping things will be ok to go...

theophile

Because the Strain Gauge is one of a few uninstalled major upgrades to have arrived here, and it would benefit from having the others already in place when the Strain Gauge is introduced into the system, plus it will take a little rearranging of the physical layout/positioning of my preamp amongst other things, I'd like to introduce each element incrementally. I won't introduce a new component until I grow used to the changes in the system and the presentation of the reproduction. Time is necessary in order to learn how to fine tune the minutae of factors that go with introducing a new element into a high performance system environment.

My present system is flying beautifully. The Soundsmith The Voice just sounds like a masterpiece. Done well, even ordinary pressings sound like audiophile remasters/repressings of the most excellent variety and the truly worshipable best of the best discs simply transport you to a first hand experience of the venue and the event(or so the illusion appears). The sound can/does fool you. I can get that now when I nail the fine tuning of my turntable isolation. It is truly the most profound 'make or break' factor and when I get that right( easier said than done and I personally believe that everyone is using the Clearaudio Magix in the wrong manner) something takes place that has to be heard to be credited.

I need to purchase a headshell which allows for azimuth adjustment in order to get the optimum from the Strain Gauge.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Agree 100%. Let things bed in. I've had the SG for 6 mnths plus now, so ready for batt psu now I "know" the cart.

theophile

Agree 100%. Let things bed in. I've had the SG for 6 mnths plus now, so ready for batt psu now I "know" the cart.

I like to listen to the basic, stock item as supplied by the manufacturer. It gives a real nice aural baseline by which to perceive the improvements rendered or visa versa. Many months from now when I finally get to install the SG-210, it may be partnered with a wonderful pair of interconnects and placed upon a mag-lev support which will give a great impression of the Strain Gauge and that might be considered an enhancement of the stock sound, but that will be the environment in which the Strain Gauge will be used from day to day.

I can tell from what has been written about the SG that I won't be prepared for what I will hear.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Peter showed a new SG -230 at CES (IIRC around $12-13,000) with upgrades to both the transducer and electronics. It is too bad he doesn't have the time to post about differences between cartridge technologies and how that affects playback. It's not as cut and dry as some would have you believe.

But the funniest thing he shared with me was how soon many people are misinformed and spread myths about analog playback and "groove noise." Groove noise is not a physical but electrical phenomena related to the sum and difference reflecting back down the cantilever. The proof is in the pudding as they say. When you hear his new SG-230, LP playback is as quiet as digital. In fact, the background is shockingly and eerily quiet.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
When I bought my Sg200 in the Spring, I believe I was one of the first to get a "Mk2" version. Maybe this is the one in the SG230.
So Myles, how do you think this cart ranks with the other SOTA contenders, Lyra Atlas, Ortofon Anna, Transfiguration Proteus, various Goldfingers etc?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing