I'm gonna buy me a Soundsmith Strain Gauge.

theophile

I was bequeathed some money in a will. The addition of the KRKs and the Hornshoppe 'The Truth' preamp plus the optimisation of the 21 Clearaudio Magix under my turntable have my system singing to a very high degree. I've been thoroughly loving my Soundsmith 'The Voice'(ebony) for about 4 years now. With this little windfall I was thinking of doing this or that to the system. I reckon that the Soundsmith Strain Gauge would be a really nice way to enhance what I have already.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
BUY IT! Is that unambiguous enough? I've been running one for the last couple of months, and in my system at least it's the most impressive cart I've ever used (incl. an impressive list of Roksan Shiraz, Transfiguration Temper and Orpheus, Lyra Skala and Parnassus, ESCCo modded Zu Denon 103, all thru a top of the line Tom Evans groove plus SRX phono).

theophile

BUY IT! Is that unambiguous enough? I've been running one for the last couple of months, and in my system at least it's the most impressive cart I've ever used (incl. an impressive list of Roksan Shiraz, Transfiguration Temper and Orpheus, Lyra Skala and Parnassus, ESCCo modded Zu Denon 103, all thru a top of the line Tom Evans groove plus SRX phono).

Oh yeah. I'm going to.

I considered a better phono stage or some subwoofers, mains conditioner etc. However given that the turntable, preamp and speakers are superlative(I say that as one of the fussiest audiophiles you could ever meet), I realised that I had a system sufficient to step up to the Strain Gauge.

The cheque will clear tomorrow or the day after. As soon as it does, I'm taking the plunge.

My system sounds rapturously superb at the moment. It tracks the sound of the recordings beautifully. More like an electronic chameleon than a sound system. I cannot anticipate how it will sound with the Strain Gauge.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Yes but the Orpheus and Parnassus are long discontinued and don't represent the latest products from each company (Plus the Kleos is a better bet than the Skala). The Zu Denon while good just isn't in the league of even the aforementioned cartridges.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I was bequeathed some money in a will. The addition of the KRKs and the Hornshoppe 'The Truth' preamp plus the optimisation of the 21 Clearaudio Magix under my turntable have my system singing to a very high degree. I've been thoroughly loving my Soundsmith 'The Voice'(ebony) for about 4 years now. With this little windfall I was thinking of doing this or that to the system. I reckon that the Soundsmith Strain Gauge would be a really nice way to enhance what I have already.

I'll break it in for you :)

theophile

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Myles, surely you don't fall into the easy trap that the latest is definitely best? Not always the case. I would take the Parnassus over the Titan in a blink. No experience of Atlas. The Orpheus surpassed the Airtight I heard. And the Zu is the biggest giant killer in carts. The Straingauge is just so right, almost artifact-free, matches well with my direct rim-drive tt/air bearing linear tracking arm. The closest I've heard yet from lp to 15ips tape imho.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles, surely you don't fall into the easy trap that the latest is definitely best? Not always the case. I would take the Parnassus over the Titan in a blink. No experience of Atlas. The Orpheus surpassed the Airtight I heard. And the Zu is the biggest giant killer in carts. The Straingauge is just so right, almost artifact-free, matches well with my direct rim-drive tt/air bearing linear tracking arm. The closest I've heard yet from lp to 15ips tape imho.

Hardly. Anyone who has read my reviews over the years can vouch for that.

1. Sorry but there's simply no way in hell that the Parnassus is better than the Titan. You're looking at the sound of the Parnassus with rose colored glasses or using it with a solid-state system The Parnassus is soft, romantic, undynamic and very colored compared to the Titan. It's low output also made matching it to a phono stage all the more important.

The Titan, which I still consider among the best cartridges available, Achilles' heel is strings. Still it's worlds better than the Parnaussus. The Atlas leaves them both in the dust. (FYI, this is all personal experience in multiple arms.)

2. Buying the Airtight PC1 was possibly the worst purchase I ever made.

3. Reread what I said about the Zu. It's still not in the league of the super cartridges. It's major failing is its lack of resolution of spatial information. The other issue is matching the Denon of Zu/Denon cartridge to the right arm as has been discussed elsewhere on WBF.

4. The Orpheus was very good and that's why I have the Proteus in house for review.

theophile

I've just paid for the SG-200 Strain Gauge and two spare SG-6 stylus assemblies. The wait begins.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I hope you have patience, Soundsmith have a very long waiting list for the S'gauge. Additionally, make sure you've ordered the Mk2, not Mk1. Not sure what the difference is technically, but it's a much more satisfying sound. Will never look beyond this cart - reasonable price of entry, replacement stylus costs a fraction of retipping similar carts, money back selling defunct phono stage...and the best sound in high-end carts I'm aware of. What's not to like?!

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
I've just paid for the SG-200 Strain Gauge and two spare SG-6 stylus assemblies. The wait begins.

Congratulations!!!

I have one that I love!

theophile

I hope you have patience, Soundsmith have a very long waiting list for the S'gauge. Additionally, make sure you've ordered the Mk2, not Mk1. Not sure what the difference is technically, but it's a much more satisfying sound. Will never look beyond this cart - reasonable price of entry, replacement stylus costs a fraction of retipping similar carts, money back selling defunct phono stage...and the best sound in high-end carts I'm aware of. What's not to like?!
I have no choice but to be patient. I was told that presently Peter is in Hong Kong at a High-End show. I realise that he has much on his plate. There is no point in getting hot under the collar with impatience when the situation is completely out of one's power to influence.

I'll be getting one that is made from scratch in the latter part of 2013. So I guess that it'd be the latest model.

Congratulations!!!

I have one that I love!

Thank you. I too eventually will have one also (plus two spare top of the line stylii). :b

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
The only downside to S'gauge ownership is that it is EXTREMELY fussy when it comes to setup, esp. re azimuth. Luckily my air bearing arm uses a 2-point pivoting system, so azim changes were rel. easy to physically manage in my system, but I hear it can be a bitch! My dealer used the Dr. Feickert digital app. With azim not dialled in, the cart can sound thin and lifeless, but when correct, WOW!
Amazing tracking, like a veritable bloodhound, my most bass-laden dance music, and crescendo-filled orchestral doesn't cause it to raise a sweat (my Lyra's always sounded like they might come off the rails). Ignore even the positive reviews that suggest it's potentially terse and overly leading-edge orientated without filling out the tone/decay of each note - nothing could be further from the truth: bass is warm and effusive without falling into the euphonic colouration of so much analogue, full textures and fretwork is on display. Mids are solid and transparent. In my system at least, treble is crystalline and seems to extend upward forever, quite the best I've ever heard. Surface noise really is relegated to a layer well away from the soundfield.
All this without drawing attention to itself, no "listen to me" like some top carts screaming for attention. It's the perfect complement to my direct rim drive tt/air bearing linear tracking arm, I'm just not detecting any artifacts in the sound, amazing in a medium that has so much potential, but with shortcomings that can always prevent this potential being realised.
Finally I can listen to the message, not the medium.

theophile

The only downside to S'gauge ownership is that it is EXTREMELY fussy when it comes to setup, esp. re azimuth. Luckily my air bearing arm uses a 2-point pivoting system, so azim changes were rel. easy to physically manage in my system, but I hear it can be a bitch! My dealer used the Dr. Feickert digital app. With azim not dialled in, the cart can sound thin and lifeless, but when correct, WOW!
Amazing tracking, like a veritable bloodhound, my most bass-laden dance music, and crescendo-filled orchestral doesn't cause it to raise a sweat (my Lyra's always sounded like they might come off the rails). Ignore even the positive reviews that suggest it's potentially terse and overly leading-edge orientated without filling out the tone/decay of each note - nothing could be further from the truth: bass is warm and effusive without falling into the euphonic colouration of so much analogue, full textures and fretwork is on display. Mids are solid and transparent. In my system at least, treble is crystalline and seems to extend upward forever, quite the best I've ever heard. Surface noise really is relegated to a layer well away from the soundfield.
All this without drawing attention to itself, no "listen to me" like some top carts screaming for attention. It's the perfect complement to my direct rim drive tt/air bearing linear tracking arm, I'm just not detecting any artifacts in the sound, amazing in a medium that has so much potential, but with shortcomings that can always prevent this potential being realised.
Finally I can listen to the message, not the medium.

I love my Soundsmith The Voice. I am very much looking forward to this next step.

I have read your thoughts as posted on Audiogon. I will make every effort to I get the best out of the Strain Gauge with regard to set-up. Thank you for emphasising that.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Would love to hear JTinn's thoughts on the Straingauge. However since the Ortofon Anna is held in so high regard by his clientele, maybe there isn't the freedom to promote it's potential superiority. Personally, I find it can do no wrong.

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
Jonathan, How does it compare to the Ortofon Anna?

They are both incredible. The Straingauge is lightning fast with excellent dynamics and probably edges the Anna out in that regard. The Anna has the advantage of a bit more transparency. Both are extremely "alive and lifelike" and I am happy listening to either.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing