Feedback Article

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Sure to cause controversy... The comments are worth reading, too.

http://www.edn.com/design/consumer/...fiers--Why-there-is-no-such-thing-as-too-much

Nice maths, but the first comment by Bill Whitlock, president & chief engineer of Jensen Transformers says most of it:

Many audiophiles have understandably lost faith in science because the audio community has been using measurements that don't correlate well with their listening experience. I believe it's a fact that two amplifiers can have the same THD characteristics yet sound very different. I look forward to Part 2!

IMHO problems due to poor sounding amplifiers with high feedback are probably due to implementation. Unless the scientific community manages to find why these amps sound poor and says it openly the public will never trust them as audiophile advisers.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Thanks Andy!

@microstrip: Limited loop bandwidth and phase margin that combine to cause HF peaking is one obvious culprit for the bad rap negative feedback has gotten in the audio world. I am not sure I have ever seen a design that does not have a little local feedback for bias and gain stability, even in the "no feedback" designs. I think most of the latter mean "no global feedback"; it is almost impossible to build a real circuit without some local feedback even if just parasitic. And though I shy away from absolutes, in this case I am sorely tempted to strike the word "almost".

Last edited:

andy_c

Sep 24, 2010
www.andyc.diy-audio-engineering.org
Bob Cordell's audio power amplifier book has a chapter about the feedback controversy that's quite good. Posts #1805, 1806 and 1807 beginning here are a good read also. Post 1807 is worth quoting.

Bob Cordell said:
Now let’s look at the same BJT stage wherein we apply the negative feedback simply by means of emitter degeneration. This is a very important case because emitter degeneration is seen as benign by the no-feedback camp, and is given special dispensation by them. Most so-called no-feedback amplifiers depend extensively on the linearizing properties of emitter degeneration.

Remarkably, the curves look very much like those in the last post! But why should we be surprised, after all? The theory is the theory. Nevertheless, even I was surprised by this result. The application of negative feedback, even by means of benign emitter degeneration increases the production of high-order distortions. So if this Baxendall phenomena is making NFB bad, then the so-called no-NFB designs are suffering from it just as well!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing