LAMM ML3 with Magico Q7

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi,
First off,I will be getting a pair of ML3s the end of this week(Sept 13) to go with the Lamm LL1 and LP1.The Lamm Signature series is just another level in my audio quest,The way it recreates instruments behind,inside and next to the speaker with full body and accurate timbre is beyond me.I just hope one day I can find a speaker that I love as much as the Isis with higher sensitivity to do the ML3s justice,maybe Avalon tesseract knowledge will trickle down to a tesseract jr.

As for the Tripoint Troy,the Original Troy was a revelation untoitself.It removed noise and grundge that most of us took for granted as being part of the music,but when it is gone your noise floor goes way lower and you can hear much deeper into the music instruments sound more natural,mirco details and cues are uncovered that were covered by noise.When you here this there is no going back.
The Troy Signature takes it a step further by removing as far as I can hear almost all the noise and dropping the noise floor to almost nothing,at that you can hear even more information and the transients and speed of the music seems to come out with no effort.The Signature is not a subtle upgrade,as soon as I hooked it up I was really impressed.Thats my take on the Tripoint Troy,I highly recommend trying one and would be very surprised if most of the audiophile didn't buy one.

Robert

you're in for a big treat. You just might have made your last amplifier purchase

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Isn't The Sentinel a semi-active design?

strapper211

Aug 6, 2013
Hi,
The sentinel is only 88 db efficient,the tesseract technology is much more efficient and a much more amp friendly impedence curve.The Isis was the beginning of the more efficient more friendly impedence and the tesseract took it a step further,a big step I think.
Robert

strapper211

Aug 6, 2013
Hi,
I was reminded by certain people that I should disclose that I am a Lamm dealer,but that in no way has affected my opinion of the Lamm line,especially the signature line.I did not pick up the line until I heard the M1.2.LL1 and LP1 in my system,then I was sold.I am also a Convergent Audio dealer ,I will try to be unbiased in my opinions on this thread.

Robert

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I picked up the line when I heard L1s and M1.1s at fellow WBF member Mullard88's home many years ago. Just add your affiliation(s) to your signature strapper. It's all good. Lots of dealers here. Probably the largest concentration of any forum. :)

strapper211

Aug 6, 2013
I just hooked up the Lamm ML3s last night and they are in combination with the LL1 and LP1 are the most musical,accurate and enjoyable combo I ever had or ever heard.I will add much more as I listen but talk about being sucked into the music,WOW!.I am very sure these are my last electronics I will ever buy.If Avalon comes out with a tesserat Jr. or a offspring with 93 0r 94 db. eff.,I will be all over it,but for now I am quite happy.

Robert

Steve Williams

I just hooked up the Lamm ML3s last night and they are in combination with the LL1 and LP1 are the most musical,accurate and enjoyable combo I ever had or ever heard.I will add much more as I listen but talk about being sucked into the music,WOW!.I am very sure these are my last electronics I will ever buy.If Avalon comes out with a tesserat Jr. or a offspring with 93 0r 94 db. eff.,I will be all over it,but for now I am quite happy.

Robert

As I told you Robert, I will never buy another amp/preamp

The ML3 is in a league of its own and with the LL1 an absolute winner

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
I just read the RH test of the Q7 in TAS again and noticed that one of the amps he used was the LAMM ML2.2. He wrote that it was a combination which was a little restricted in dynamics. He did however write that the sound was beautiful. I assume the ML3 would at least be the equal to the ML2.2 with the Q7.

Maybe a bi-amp configuration would work with the ML3 on the top and something else for the bottom. The big question would be what amp for the bottom.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
look forward reading about some'' objective '' opinions on cat versus lamm
I should visit the dutch importer someday he is driving his avalons Time with the hybrid monoblocs iirc

Robert

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
If they need a good kick in the butt , put a Boulder in the shoe :D
I just read the RH test of the Q7 in TAS again and noticed that one of the amps he used was the LAMM ML2.2. He wrote that it was a combination which was a little restricted in dynamics. He did however write that the sound was beautiful. I assume the ML3 would at least be the equal to the ML2.2 with the Q7.

Maybe a bi-amp configuration would work with the ML3 on the top and something else for the bottom. The big question would be what amp for the bottom.

strapper211

Aug 6, 2013
Hi,
I have been putting some hours on the ML3s and yerterday Lloyd Walker was over with Fred and we put it through some exercices and they still need some breaking in but I think they handle the Isis fine.They are incredible sounding amps and as they get some time on them the the bass is getting stronger and more powerful.Keep you posted.

Robert

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi,
I have been putting some hours on the ML3s and yerterday Lloyd Walker was over with Fred and we put it through some exercices and they still need some breaking in but I think they handle the Isis fine.They are incredible sounding amps and as they get some time on them the the bass is getting stronger and more powerful.Keep you posted.

Robert

Great stuff and enjoy!! Look forward to reading more...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi,

Robert

Are you referring to the Avalon Isis? I have found that they are great , but very difficult speakers, and I know of a few people who loved them and gave up because their amplifiers were not powerful enough. IMHO, if the Lamm ML3 does handle them it will be an almost miraculous achievement!

Steve Williams

Are you referring to the Avalon Isis? I have found that they are great , but very difficult speakers, and I know of a few people who loved them and gave up because their amplifiers were not powerful enough. IMHO, if the Lamm ML3 does handle them it will be an almost miraculous achievement!

I tend to agree but would love to be able to compare sound from my system with speakers at 95 Db efficient and Robert's with his Isis at 90 Db efficient. I get very good bass with mine but still use a pair of Fathom subs to augment the bottom end below 43 Hz

strapper211

Aug 6, 2013
Hi,

I think I get what you fella's mean,the Isis driven by the Lamms does not produce wall shaking bass but my CAT did not either,the CAT had more power and slam but the Lamm's bass is so articulate and defined I can live without absolute bottom for now.But what the Lamm does from the bottom up is incredible,these are my last amps.
I really hope Avalon uses their Tesserat technology for a scaled down verision,it is much higher sensitivity and load for the amp.In the mean time I talked to the distributors from Verity Audio and Marten.Does anyone have any experience with the Verity Lohergrin 11s or the Marten Momento both are interesting.Any input would help.

Robert

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Yes, I think so too. My initial thoughts for a tube amp without knowing how they are able to drive the Q7 would be the LAMM ML3 or the Zanden Chouku.

Paul Weitzel of Tube Research Labs and I have also thrown around the idea for him to make a 120W - 150W 300B based SET amp by connecting a number of 300Bs in paralell. He says he is able to make an output transformer to make that possible.

Roysen, that would be kool. Did you get your 800s from Paul?

Citizen

Mar 20, 2014
Norway

Last edited:

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
The 800s are ordered from Paul, but have not arrived yet. I have been waiting 6 years now. I am getting tired.

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
The 800s are ordered from Paul, but have not arrived yet. I have been waiting 6 years now. I am getting tired.

Hi Roysen. Welcome back to the land of the living! I was wondering what the hell happened to you. At least you were fastidious enough to answer me four months later.

I am sure the amps will be worth the wait....;)

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I hate to ask this question, but why the hell does it take six years to build some amps for a customer? I mean really...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing