LAMM ML3 with Magico Q7

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Coming from a person who loves power. I would not pair the Q7 with a Lamm ML 3. The Q7 seems to require power. It will certainly play music with almost anything you put to drive it, even a Home Theater receiver. To perform its best howeverm it will require a stout, powerful amplifier able to control its sealed woofers and mid-woofer. This said I have heard the LAMM and it is a great amplifier, I continue to prefer higher power amplifiers, and these days I am extremely partial to what SS amplifiers are doing.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi

Coming from a person who loves power. I would not pair the Q7 with a Lamm ML 3. The Q7 seems to require power. It will certainly play music with almost anything you put to drive it, even a Home Theater receiver. To perform its best howeverm it will require a stout, powerful amplifier able to control its sealed woofers and mid-woofer. This said I have heard the LAMM and it is a great amplifier, I continue to prefer higher power amplifiers, and these days I am extremely partial to what SS amplifiers are doing.

Hi Frantz, sorry if you've posted elsewhere...just curious, what high powered SS amps or brands are catching your attention these days? Among my favorites, I have heard and really liked Boulder 2060 and Gryphon Colosseum. I have spent time in a few different setups with Constellation and preliminarily impressed with what I heard but have not studied extensively. I have never heard a high quality behemoth like the Analog Domain ref monos which are supposedly superbly built to a world class standard, absurdly powerful with both high current/amperes and high wattage (1,000 watt monos).

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi Frantz, sorry if you've posted elsewhere...just curious, what high powered SS amps or brands are catching your attention these days? Among my favorites, I have heard and really liked Boulder 2060 and Gryphon Colosseum. I have spent time in a few different setups with Constellation and preliminarily impressed with what I heard but have not studied extensively. I have never heard a high quality behemoth like the Analog Domain ref monos which are supposedly superbly built to a world class standard, absurdly powerful with both high current/amperes and high wattage (1,000 watt monos).

Lloyd

I have heard some Constellation (i can't remember which models) they were monos .. Good but nothing to write home about. OTOH The Bryston 28B SST2 (the big powerful monos, 1000 watts/ch) and the Spectral 400 are the real deal and that at real world price. In the audiophile world their low price may be a detriment: The Bryston monos are about $20,000 and the Spectral less than $30,000 .. Both will run circle around more celebrated and costly offerings. Both are in my opinion SOTA. I haven't heard the recent Boulder offerings or the Gryphon so will not say much about them. In the here and now I would gladly ( and likely) will take one of these two amps: The prices are right and the performance as high as anything I have heard... IMO up there among the elite best at any price.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi,I have the LL1 and LP1 Lamm Signature with the CAT JL3s driving Avalon Isis speakers.The Isis is rated at 90db with a pretty flat 4 ohm impedance that dips to 3.6 min.,I am told it is a very easy load for a amp.I just love the Lamm signature series it is nothing like I ever had before,it recreates the instruments and placement and timbre is so very addictive.
Anyway I am dying to try the ML3s with the Isis and complete the triad of Lamm signature,what do my fellow music lovers think?
Regards Robert

Robert,
You will have to try to know. IMHO most probably it will not be power enough. Some years ago I almost bought a pair of used Isis that showed at a dealer, but even the Avalon distributor warned me they would need a really powerful amplifier that can supply a lot of current. And do not be mislead by the CAT JL3 experience - JL3s are known to drive even the MBL 101s!

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Hi,the 90db has me a little concerned,but if you read the hi-fi plus review by Roy Gregory he said he thought the sensitivity was very conservative.
So I think it will work very well. Robert

I loved the Isis, but my Pass Labs just didn't have enough juice. Otherwise, they would have stayed!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Lloyd

I have heard some Constellation (i can't remember which models) they were monos .. Good but nothing to write home about. OTOH The Bryston 28B SST2 (the big powerful monos, 1000 watts/ch) and the Spectral 400 are the real deal and that at real world price. In the audiophile world their low price may be a detriment: The Bryston monos are about $20,000 and the Spectral less than $30,000 .. Both will run circle around more celebrated and costly offerings. Both are in my opinion SOTA. I haven't heard the recent Boulder offerings or the Gryphon so will not say much about them. In the here and now I would gladly ( and likely) will take one of these two amps: The prices are right and the performance as high as anything I have heard... IMO up there among the elite best at any price.

Frantz

agreed about Bryston and Spectral but in the same league as the Spectral 400 monos is the soon to be released stero version called the 300 with IIRC an MSRP of $18K

when Russ (mobiusman) paid me a visit a few years ago one of the things we did was audition the Spectral gear played on Wilson Sashas with a full Spectral front end at Music Lovers in Berkeley and a similar experience one year earlier than that when marty visited . We heard the same Spectral system driving Sophia lll's also at Music Lovers and the sound both times was SPECTacular. At that time cabling was all Spectral. So I was there when Marty and Russ (and I) were smittren with Spectral

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd

Frantz

agreed about Bryston and Spectral but in the same league as the Spectral 400 monos is the soon to be released stero version called the 300 with IIRC an MSRP of $18K

when Russ (mobiusman) paid me a visit a few years ago one of the things we did was audition the Spectral gear played on Wilson Sashas with a full Spectral front end at Music Lovers in Berkeley and a similar experience one year earlier than that when marty visited . We heard the same Spectral system driving Sophia lll's also at Music Lovers and the sound both times was SPECTacular. At that time cabling was all Spectral. So I was there when Marty and Russ (and I) were smittren with Spectral

Thanks Gents...would love to hear the Bryston 28BSST2 monos...i have always read great things about them...just never had the opportunity to audition. will keep an eye out for them.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
The Lamm ML 3 is the most "dimensional" amplifier I have ever heard. If you can get it to work with a speaker, like the Alexandrias, it is going to be hard to beat.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Well it seems strapper is also quite impressed by lamm and him
coming from Cat. ref series i get more intrigued myself by lamm ,which i heard only once with kharma exquisites.
regarding loudspeaker factory numbers ; some manufacturers are a bit optimistic.
here is the j.a. test of the q 5 , rated 87 db measured 84 db , min imp; around 2,5 ohm that is quite low.
It would be interesting if j.a. or anybody else would test the q7 ,....maybe its alreadydone i dont know.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/magico-q5-loudspeaker-measurements

ps. to elaborate further on the eff number;
what i always do is draw a line through the response ,giving me an average , the efficiency of
a loudspeaker is not a absolute as it varies with frequency ,same as that the resistance varies with freq [impedance].

Last edited:

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Just to shed some light on post #11, the set up was requested by Alon Wolf as he was curious to know how the Q7 would react to the Lamm ML 3.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Just to shed some light on post #11, the set up was requested by Alon Wolf as he was curious to know how the Q7 would react to the Lamm ML 3.

Doesn't shed much light to me ... All very well to know how it would react , but when clearly evident that the synergy was lacking there was no further need to leave it as a demo pairing .... was a deal breaker for me .

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thanks Gents...would love to hear the Bryston 28BSST2 monos...i have always read great things about them...just never had the opportunity to audition. will keep an eye out for them.

It would be really nice to read from owners of systems using these amplifiers. We read great thinks about how good they should be, but never in the real context of a complete system.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Hi,I have the LL1 and LP1 Lamm Signature with the CAT JL3s driving Avalon Isis speakers.The Isis is rated at 90db with a pretty flat 4 ohm impedance that dips to 3.6 min.,I am told it is a very easy load for a amp.I just love the Lamm signature series it is nothing like I ever had before,it recreates the instruments and placement and timbre is so very addictive.
Anyway I am dying to try the ML3s with the Isis and complete the triad of Lamm signature,what do my fellow music lovers think?
Regards Robert

Hi Robert,

Would you be willing to share your experiences with the Tripoint Audio Troy (and maybe the Troy signature as well) in your audio system with us on the post that I opened recently on the WBF forum regarding the Troy signature? Thanks, audiocrack

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Robert,

Would you be willing to share your experiences with the Tripoint Audio Troy (and maybe the Troy signature as well) in your audio system with us on the post that I opened recently on the WBF forum regarding the Troy signature? Thanks, audiocrack

+1. Robert has been very helpful off-line in describing his great experiences with Tripoint Troy...to the extent he is comfortable posting something here, I think a lot of people would enjoy reading his experiences.

strapper211

Aug 6, 2013
Hi,
First off,I will be getting a pair of ML3s the end of this week(Sept 13) to go with the Lamm LL1 and LP1.The Lamm Signature series is just another level in my audio quest,The way it recreates instruments behind,inside and next to the speaker with full body and accurate timbre is beyond me.I just hope one day I can find a speaker that I love as much as the Isis with higher sensitivity to do the ML3s justice,maybe Avalon tesseract knowledge will trickle down to a tesseract jr.

As for the Tripoint Troy,the Original Troy was a revelation untoitself.It removed noise and grundge that most of us took for granted as being part of the music,but when it is gone your noise floor goes way lower and you can hear much deeper into the music instruments sound more natural,mirco details and cues are uncovered that were covered by noise.When you here this there is no going back.
The Troy Signature takes it a step further by removing as far as I can hear almost all the noise and dropping the noise floor to almost nothing,at that you can hear even more information and the transients and speed of the music seems to come out with no effort.The Signature is not a subtle upgrade,as soon as I hooked it up I was really impressed.Thats my take on the Tripoint Troy,I highly recommend trying one and would be very surprised if most of the audiophile didn't buy one.

Robert

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Hi,
First off,I will be getting a pair of ML3s the end of this week(Sept 13) to go with the Lamm LL1 and LP1.The Lamm Signature series is just another level in my audio quest,The way it recreates instruments behind,inside and next to the speaker with full body and accurate timbre is beyond me.I just hope one day I can find a speaker that I love as much as the Isis with higher sensitivity to do the ML3s justice,maybe Avalon tesseract knowledge will trickle down to a tesseract jr.

As for the Tripoint Troy,the Original Troy was a revelation untoitself.It removed noise and grundge that most of us took for granted as being part of the music,but when it is gone your noise floor goes way lower and you can hear much deeper into the music instruments sound more natural,mirco details and cues are uncovered that were covered by noise.When you here this there is no going back.
The Troy Signature takes it a step further by removing as far as I can hear almost all the noise and dropping the noise floor to almost nothing,at that you can hear even more information and the transients and speed of the music seems to come out with no effort.The Signature is not a subtle upgrade,as soon as I hooked it up I was really impressed.Thats my take on the Tripoint Troy,I highly recommend trying one and would be very surprised if most of the audiophile didn't buy one.

Robert
Would it be possible to place your comment relating to the Troy and Troy signature (also) on the post regarding Tripoint Audio Troy signature grounding device I recently opened on WBF, Robert? Thanks in advance, audiocrack

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing