LAMM ML3 with Magico Q7

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Has anyone heard this combination or have an opinion on its subjective synergy and objective specified match?

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
IMO it would be wonderful to hear this speaker with tubes. If someone wants to bring their Q7's over to my place I will hook up my ML3's :)

Steve - always impressed with your willingness to help others.:D

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
94db efficiency, might just work.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have spoken with 2 people who loved the Zanden 9600 monos with the Magico Q7 and am aware of a reviewer (Soundstage...Marc Michelson?) who reviewed the ML3 and compared it to the Zanden 9600. sorry, Roysen, that's the closest to 2 cents I can come on your question.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Some folks over in Audio Aficionado who heard them in Hong Kong said it was not a good pairing. RH on the other hand said the Q7 ML2.2 which is a less powerful amp said that combo worked. Personally I'm a bit skeptical myself. Sealed box and low wattage then again Magico says the woofers are not built with usual parameters. Now I am curious too.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I know, I've heard them remember? :D My speakers are 94dB too but I know the ML3s couldn't drive them full tilt without keeling over. God knows I wish this wasn't the case. My speakers are sealed affairs.

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
I bet tubes on the Q7 would sound wonderful

Yes, I think so too. My initial thoughts for a tube amp without knowing how they are able to drive the Q7 would be the LAMM ML3 or the Zanden Chouku.

Paul Weitzel of Tube Research Labs and I have also thrown around the idea for him to make a 120W - 150W 300B based SET amp by connecting a number of 300Bs in paralell. He says he is able to make an output transformer to make that possible.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Have heard the pairing in HKG and simply put 'it don't work' . While there was an acceptable purity to simpler vocal fare , read 'girl with a guitar type', it was dynamically muted in expression amongst other things, clearly the amps running out of puff on more demanding tracks. Wonder why the dealer would do such a dis service to two individually great products , the lack of compatibility being so obvious rather than subtle . The room itself was less than ideal to display such SOTA gear. Mikey Fremer has wrapped up his review on the ML3 and it be safe to say .. he more than likes them . photo 2.jpg photo 3.jpg .

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
i heard the q7 with zanden 9600 and it was great but on the edge ,i think i wouldnt go lower and they are 90 watts per channel iirc,i agree with the above poster about matching

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
i heard the q7 with zanden 9600 and it was great but on the edge ,i think i wouldnt go lower and they are 90 watts per channel iirc,i agree with the above poster about matching

Well, you could buy 2 sets of Zanden 9600 monos, have more than enough headroom, and also have about $25K +/- leftover (relative to the ML3) to put towards the rest of the system...dare to dream!

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
dream,,,,
or spend around 15-20 k euros on my own `soon to be ready` full range statement design, keep the zanden 7000 and be done with it
bi amping who needs it anyway:D
a smart designed speaker can unleash a storm with 8 watts

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Check out NAT Audio from Serbia. "Transmitter" SETs 100W/ch, "Magma" SETs 160W/ch. That should do it!

strapper211

Aug 6, 2013
Hi,I have the LL1 and LP1 Lamm Signature with the CAT JL3s driving Avalon Isis speakers.The Isis is rated at 90db with a pretty flat 4 ohm impedance that dips to 3.6 min.,I am told it is a very easy load for a amp.I just love the Lamm signature series it is nothing like I ever had before,it recreates the instruments and placement and timbre is so very addictive.
Anyway I am dying to try the ML3s with the Isis and complete the triad of Lamm signature,what do my fellow music lovers think?
Regards Robert

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi,I have the LL1 and LP1 Lamm Signature with the CAT JL3s driving Avalon Isis speakers.The Isis is rated at 90db with a pretty flat 4 ohm impedance that dips to 3.6 min.,I am told it is a very easy load for a amp.I just love the Lamm signature series it is nothing like I ever had before,it recreates the instruments and placement and timbre is so very addictive.
Anyway I am dying to try the ML3s with the Isis and complete the triad of Lamm signature,what do my fellow music lovers think?
Regards Robert

Hi Robert. You kindly gave me insight regarding your experiences with Tripoint. Thanks for that, and as you may have noticed here, there has been a little thread going on Entreq and Tripoint.

Regarding Lamm ML3s, at the level of your system, you really owe it to yourself to have the Dealer bring them in and set them up in your system. I have to imagine any Dealer who knows you and your system would be delighted to do it and confident of what it will do in your system.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi Robert. You kindly gave me insight regarding your experiences with Tripoint. Thanks for that, and as you may have noticed here, there has been a little thread going on Entreq and Tripoint.

Regarding Lamm ML3s, at the level of your system, you really owe it to yourself to have the Dealer bring them in and set them up in your system. I have to imagine any Dealer who knows you and your system would be delighted to do it and confident of what it will do in your system.

My only slight concern is the decreased efficiency on the Isis speaker which IIRC is 90 Db. Shouldn't be a problem but I'd be interested in comparing thoughts of the amp in your system and in mine where my speakers are 95 Db efficient.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing