Vibrations and cable network boxes

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I own Transparent Audio REF XL speaker cables. Someone suggested that I experiment with either raising the network boxes up on spikes or isolating them from floor born vibrations. I am a firm believer in isolating components and own three Vibraplane platforms for under my turntable and each SS amplifier. I have been exchanging emails with a fellow in Hong Kong who has DIY amp stands which involve a sandwich platform with bubble wrap as one of the layers.

So the other night I constructed a rather crude DIY isolation solution made up of stuff I had lying around the house. I placed my two network boxes up on a paperback book and bundle of bubble wrap and then placed a heavy book end on top. I listened to some of my reference LPs and can report the following:

The difference is subtle, but audible and repeatable. There is a slight increase in perceived detail, overall clarity and dynamics. It is not nearly as significant an improvement as when I added the Vibraplanes to the system or even later added the steel ballast plates to preload the Vibraplanes, but the areas of improvement are quite similar. The signal is cleaned up a small amount and as a result, I hear more contrast in dynamics, a bit more depth definition and overall information. Thus encouraged, I plan to experiment a bit more and perhaps find a way to support the networks on my Vibraplanes. Has anyone else tried to deal with vibrations effecting these network boxes?

Here are some photos of my DIY contraption:

DSC_2205.jpg

DSC_2204.jpg

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Thanks Peter...

I've tried it with the Opus and really can't hear a difference. Guess my hearing is shot! :)

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Speaking with regard to my MIT Oracle MA-X SHD boxes, which are huge, I have them spiked through the carpet into the concrete floor. Considering that the network boxes (MIT) are completely filled with epoxy, I don't think much can resonate inside them, so I will not be buying expensive stillpoints for them.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Same here; we may already be getting the benefits, by virtue of construction, including the extra hard outer shell plus spikes, in the higher end MITs.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Speaking with regard to my MIT Oracle MA-X SHD boxes, which are huge, I have them spiked through the carpet into the concrete floor. Considering that the network boxes (MIT) are completely filled with epoxy, I don't think much can resonate inside them, so I will not be buying expensive stillpoints for them.

I put Ultra 5s under my MIT speaker boxes and IC boxes some time ago. I keep thinking I'm done with squeezing out improvements from my current set up but when I put the Stillpoints under the MIT boxes I got small but noticeable improvements in all areas. View attachment 10966 View attachment 10967

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I put Ultra 5s under my MIT speaker boxes and IC boxes some time ago. I keep thinking I'm done with squeezing out improvements from my current set up but when I put the Stillpoints under the MIT boxes I got small but noticeable improvements in all areas. View attachment 10966 View attachment 10967

nice Frank....only a $5,600.00 tweak. Your rock ! ;)

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
nice Frank....only a $5,600.00 tweak. You rock ! ;)

Good news and bad news. Good news is I didn't pay $700 a piece for them. Bad news is you don't see the other 6 I'm using under the IC boxes. :p

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I own Transparent Audio REF XL speaker cables. Someone suggested that I experiment with either raising the network boxes up on spikes or isolating them from floor born vibrations. I am a firm believer in isolating components and own three Vibraplane platforms for under my turntable and each SS amplifier. I have been exchanging emails with a fellow in Hong Kong who has DIY amp stands which involve a sandwich platform with bubble wrap as one of the layers.

So the other night I constructed a rather crude DIY isolation solution made up of stuff I had lying around the house. I placed my two network boxes up on a paperback book and bundle of bubble wrap and then placed a heavy book end on top. I listened to some of my reference LPs and can report the following:

The difference is subtle, but audible and repeatable. There is a slight increase in perceived detail, overall clarity and dynamics. It is not nearly as significant an improvement as when I added the Vibraplanes to the system or even later added the steel ballast plates to preload the Vibraplanes, but the areas of improvement are quite similar. The signal is cleaned up a small amount and as a result, I hear more contrast in dynamics, a bit more depth definition and overall information. Thus encouraged, I plan to experiment a bit more and perhaps find a way to support the networks on my Vibraplanes. Has anyone else tried to deal with vibrations effecting these network boxes?

Here are some photos of my DIY contraption:

View attachment 10964

View attachment 10965

Try tiptoes. I think the improvement is sizable eg. as big as you might gain by going up two or three levels in models. At least in my system with the Goldmund cones that I consider the best-though not perfect-tiptoes that I own. (BTW years ago had done a huge survey -- read 12 or so cones --that sadly never got published in Sounds Like... Magazine. OTOH it was a very educational experience listening to all these products!)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Thanks Peter...

I've tried it with the Opus and really can't hear a difference. Guess my hearing is shot! :)

Different material used for construction of the network box. In fact, Andy Payor used carbon fiber to address these issues in the Opus level model.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
My MIT Oracle V3 network boxes had always been used with the metal cones MIT provided. I substitued the now-discontinued Stillpoints cones for these a few months ago. The improvement was obvious. To my surprise, some bloat was removed from the bass that I had always assumed was room-related. The Stillpoints also brought the music into better focus. I noticed a similar but far more profound effect when placing Stillpoints cones under my Aerial 10T speakers. I suspect that there is some synergy due to my use of Stillpoints cones under everything.

I'll repeat here what I also mentioned in another thread where this topic was brought up as this was a real ear-opener. The other surprise was hearing the benefits from placing Stillpoints cones my Quantum QBase QB8 power strip. Very obvious improvements from this too - more so than from placing Stillpoints under my network boxes.

Roy Gregory has argued that our power loom offers a pathway for vibration to enter our components. Stillpoints used under power strips help to drain some of this off. I wonder if this may also be part of the reason that placing Stillpoints under my Oracle network boxes helped as much as they did. Having the networks spiked directly to the floor through the carpet provided a nice path for vibration to be passed. While that's hard for me to visualize, you never know with this crazy hobby.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
My MIT Oracle V3 network boxes had always been used with the metal cones MIT provided. I substitued the now-discontinued Stillpoints cones for these a few months ago. The improvement was obvious.

I'll repeat here what I also mentioned in another thread where this topic was brought up as this was a real ear-opener. The other surprise was hearing the benefits from placing Stillpoints cones my Quantum QBase QB8 power strip. Very obvious improvements from this too - more so than from placing Stillpoints under my network boxes.

I tried putting some Ultra 5s under my Shunyata Triton and Typhon but didn't notice any change. The Stillpoints are staying under the MIT boxes though. The improvement is obvious and significant enough for me to commit the $$.

Christian mocks me now but one of these days he'll try them out under his MIT boxes and he'll be hooked!

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Peter, why would you place weight on top of the network boxes; wouldn't that partially defeat the isolation gained by the bubble wrap?

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Did you try ultra 5'a under your amps yet ? They made the biggest difference under my amp's compared to other componentry treated.

I tried them but I have SRA Ohio XL+ isolation platforms that were made for the XS300s. I didn't really notice a difference when I inserted the Ultra 5s.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Peter, why would you place weight on top of the network boxes; wouldn't that partially defeat the isolation gained by the bubble wrap?

Well, I did this thinking it would dampen vibration through mass, similar to the damping plates made by HRS and others that are used on the top plates of electronics. I'm still in experimentation mode. I first tried isolation (with the bubble wrap) which was free. I may next try some kind of spikes. It's interesting to me that doing anything to these network boxes can make a difference.

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing