Amp for passive YG Anat III Professional Signature

Hammer

Jun 10, 2013
I can't remember the exact messurment, but its close to 1". Mine are about 9.5' apart. It's always tempting to set speakers up as far apart as possible, but you will find the soundstage will be pretty huge even with them fairly close together. Use a mic to set them up. You will be able to find the best bass for them much faster that way.

Good pointer. Do you mean 1" off from having the speaks face the back wall directly? I think that's less than how I have mine currently. Perhaps that's why when I play at loud volume, the highs seem a bit too much. Are yours setup as an equilateral triangle?

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Yes, my sidewalls are pretty straight so I can measure in relation to sidewalls. I just take one laser messurment from the front corner of the woofer cabinet to sidewall and another from back corner of same and subtract the numbers. Off axis response is killer so they don't need much toe in.

I currently sit at an equilateral triangle mainly because I measure flatter bass in this position. I will be adding a couple of subs next month and cross the main R/L at 50hz. This should give me a bit more freedom with my seated position. Assuming the bass is the same, I would prefer to sit a little behind the triangle. That's just my preference.

Good pointer. Do you mean 1" off from having the speaks face the back wall directly? I think that's less than how I have mine currently. Perhaps that's why when I play at loud volume, the highs seem a bit too much. Are yours setup as an equilateral triangle?

Hammer

Jun 10, 2013
Yes, my sidewalls are pretty straight so I can measure in relation to sidewalls. I just take one laser messurment from the front corner of the woofer cabinet to sidewall and another from back corner of same and subtract the numbers. Off axis response is killer so they don't need much toe in.

I currently sit at an equilateral triangle mainly because I measure flatter bass in this position. I will be adding a couple of subs next month and cross the main R/L at 50hz. This should give me a bit more freedom with my seated position. Assuming the bass is the same, I would prefer to sit a little behind the triangle. That's just my preference.

Thank you again. Sounds like I have some experimenting to do.

Hammer

Jun 10, 2013
Thank you everyone for their thoughtful advice. Wanted to report back that I went with the Bryston 28BSST2's and they sound phenomenal. I mostly made the decision based on price, but listening to them, they are doing everything I felt I was missing with the 14BSST's. The sound is much richer, fuller and unrestrained. If more is better, then I can't wait to try the Krell's, but for now, I'm pretty satisfied. With this setup, I am hearing new things from recordings I thought I new and that is amazing to me. I do notice that at very high levels, with some recordings, "s" sounds are a bit "harsh", but I think it's the recording, but I wonder if anyone's found a way to tone that down a bit. Perhaps with a tube per-amp?

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

The Bryston 28B SST2 are phenomenal amplifiers. The unfortunate aspect of our hobby is that we assume them to be not entirely competitive with the "upper echelon" which usually translate in more expensive, because in Audio terms they are "inexpensive". They are not merely good: They are superlative , one of the great amplifiers of our time.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thank you everyone for their thoughtful advice. Wanted to report back that I went with the Bryston 28BSST2's and they sound phenomenal. I mostly made the decision based on price, but listening to them, they are doing everything I felt I was missing with the 14BSST's. The sound is much richer, fuller and unrestrained. If more is better, then I can't wait to try the Krell's, but for now, I'm pretty satisfied. With this setup, I am hearing new things from recordings I thought I new and that is amazing to me. I do notice that at very high levels, with some recordings, "s" sounds are a bit "harsh", but I think it's the recording, but I wonder if anyone's found a way to tone that down a bit. Perhaps with a tube per-amp?

I have heard wonderful things about those very amps...very good things. Congrats and enjoy them. As to your observation of a little sibilance, a few questions:

1. How long have you been running your amps? You may find it ameliorates a bit over time as the units burn in...capacitors, etc...some manufacturer suggest couple hundred hours? It may not.

2. If it is minor as it seems you are saying...you may not need to go with another piece of equipment. Cables, powercables, even isolation of the amp can sometimes help. By removing my Gryphon Colosseum (180lbs) off the wooden floor onto an Auralex isolation platform (60 bucks) and then mass damping an Artesania damper on top...I was surprised that I experienced as much refinement as I did.

I am wood over concrete slab, but it is an apartment building so there is definitely vibration. The amp transparency improved, and while it did not get sweeter or smoother, the amp's signal density did improve, and with it disappeared an element of hash. Perhaps if you found the same hash-removal, your sibilance might lessen? Just a thought since these kinds of things are far less expensive than a tubed preamp.

Good luck...and enjoy!

vivant

Apr 7, 2014
Hello Hammer,
How much was the upgrade. I am considering a pair that are standard Anat III Pro Sig. Are the amps removed? What were the differences as heard with your existing amps? For what it's worth, I heard the big Brystons drive MBL 101E's very well.
Thanks.
Mark

Hammer

Jun 10, 2013
Hello Hammer,
How much was the upgrade. I am considering a pair that are standard Anat III Pro Sig. Are the amps removed? What were the differences as heard with your existing amps? For what it's worth, I heard the big Brystons drive MBL 101E's very well.
Thanks.
Mark

Mark, not sure if you are still looking...I just saw your reply. I got the upgrade through GTT and would highly recommend them and Bill. I think the upgrade is well worth it...a much more coherent sound. I matched the Bryston's with an ARC Ref 5SE and the combo is simply amazing with the speakers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing