Amp for passive YG Anat III Professional Signature

Hammer

Jun 10, 2013
Hi, I recently purchased a pair of Anat III's with the Sonja 1.3 passive crossover upgrade and am looking for some amp recommendations. Currently, I am using a bryston 14bsst with good effect and so the 28bsst is an obvious choice, but any other thoughts? I'm very happy with the sound right now, and so would be looking for a significant jump in performance. Thanks! Hammer

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Hammer,

Just so we don't start indiscriminately naming amps that are just "different", what areas specifically would you like to hear improvements in?

Hammer

Jun 10, 2013
I would say the highs and mids sound very, very realistic with superb imaging. But somehow, the bottom seems a bit "missing." Given the reputation of Krell, that was another brand I was thinking of.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
In my opinion you need Boulder power as the YG s need control , i had krell before .
Did you hear them also with the active woofersection before the passive filter up grade ??
Do they have the aluminium membranes ??

Hammer

Jun 10, 2013
Yes, I had the active amps before doing the passive upgrade. I wasn't completely happy with the active and figured after the upgrade, I can get the amp of my choice which is where I am now...and yes, they have the new aluminum drivers.

What are others using to drive these or the sonja as I think except for the skin, the speakers are the same?

Thanks, hammer.

Hammer

Jun 10, 2013
Tenor is another idea. I see yg pairing those regularly, but I don't think I'm up for dealing with tubes at the moment, although I like the idea very much. If I were to upgrade my preamp, currently a sim audio p8, I would seriously look into the AR reference 5 and so I'll probably stick with a SS amp.

trh8654

May 29, 2010
Virginia
The tenor amps with the Anats have been my favorites. But they are alot of money. The krell evo 402e or BAT VK-655se would be my choices.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Krell Power!

I use the passive Anat III Signature with a pair of Krell 900e. It's the best I've had. I've had the following among others:
Soulution 710
Dartzeel CTH 8550
Luxman M800
BMC Monoblocks

The Bryston is a poor choice for this speaker, IMO. The Bryston is a bridged design which won't play well with the YG. If you look at the most recent JA measurements in last month's Stereophile, he shows that the YG does not present a easy load. Because the Bryston is bridged, it will deliver plenty of voltage but not enough current, IMO.

Try as many as you can. It will be fun!

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I have a pair of Ypsilon Aelius ($36,000 a pair) on the Sonjas and it's a match made in heaven. Perhaps the best sound of my life.

Hammer

Jun 10, 2013
Yes, that's what I'm going to shoot for, budget allowing...thank you very much for your help. And your prior advice on the passive upgrades as well!

Hammer

Jun 10, 2013
Please let us know how it goes. Did you get the upgraded binding posts too?

No, I couldn't justify the added cost for that since I knew I'd want to upgrade my amp as well. But I agree that the passive upgrade is well worth the cost. I'm still figuring out final placement in my room. How much do you have yours toed in?

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I can't remember the exact messurment, but its close to 1". Mine are about 9.5' apart. It's always tempting to set speakers up as far apart as possible, but you will find the soundstage will be pretty huge even with them fairly close together. Use a mic to set them up. You will be able to find the best bass for them much faster that way.

No, I couldn't justify the added cost for that since I knew I'd want to upgrade my amp as well. But I agree that the passive upgrade is well worth the cost. I'm still figuring out final placement in my room. How much do you have yours toed in?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing