Big 6000+ DVD & Blu-ray Collection Storage Solution

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

* This guy is pretty well organized, I'd say.
{Not crazy about his surround sound system and speakers and front projector though; he's missing some in those departments, to show all the potential from his superb Blu-ray movie collection.}

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Mmmm... no comment? ...Even on all that white color in that room? ...Anyone noticed the seats? ...The speakers? ...The subwoofer? ...The surround sound system? ...The front projector? ...The screen? ...The window drapes?

* I'd say that the organization of his movie collection takes priority over other more important aspects of the full equation (movie experience: picture & sound wise).

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
He clearly cares way more about having a large, diverse (well organized) movie collection than he does about having a well done environment with high quality equipment to view all of those movies. And there is certainly nothing wrong with that. He probably has $10,000 to $15,000 invested in his movies which may have utilized funds he would have used to spiff up his viewing environment (assuming he actually gave a darn about his viewing environment).

If he's happy, I'm happy!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
6,000+ DVDs & Blu-rays is a much larger investment than just $10,000/15,000

You can tell he's got some of the best Special Editions, Criterion BDs, Disney 3D BDs, etc. ...That is at least ten times your figures!
This is expensive video software man! ...The care he put you can easily see in his video; that stuff ain't second-hand, it's new!

Now he just needs a room with a view*. :b ... * The proper gear, right room, and all that jazz.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
He is for sure much more organized than me. And yes, that is a lot of money. Assuming $15/average per disc, that is $90,000!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Mon cher Amir,

Yes, "assuming".

But here are some facts. ...DVDs; people (I included) paid on average $25 each! ...Some cost $60, others $10. ...And when people started (I included) back in 1996-97 to purchase them, most of them were $25-30 (and even more with tax). ...In North America (Canada), and also in the U.S.A., and also in the U.K.

Blu-rays (I stop buying DVDs in around 2008, and started buying HD DVDs in 2006-07); they cost on average (since 2006-07) roughly $25-35 each.
Some Special Editions cost more than a hundred bucks, and nowadays, for titles that are from the prehistoric age you can get for five bucks each (not my style).
Criterions are $40-50 each, here in Canada. In the USA they are $25-40 each.
Disney BD titles are $30-35 each (2D), and $35-45 each (3D). ..Here in Canada you have to add 12% on top of that for the GST tax!
FOX, Universal, Warner Bros, Paramount, Lionsgate, Columbia (Sony), Alliance Films, Touchstone and all those other Disney's derivatives, and all the other studios from all over; for their BD special editions you can 'realistically' expect to pay between $25 and $40 each.

Now, I personally know (I included) people who purchase DVDs and Blu-rays exactly as described above. ...And not just one title per week, but sometimes dozens!

* That 6,000+ DVDs and Blu-rays is now realistically estimated at $150,000 very fairly (actual cost at the time).

This is nothing! ...Other people have movies' collection (Laser Discs, DVDs, Blu-rays) with over 20,000 titles, and even 30,000+ different titles.
Some of these people buy all the Special Editions of those video formats; no matter the cost.
Now we're talking! ...Huge amount of money, a big pile (mountain) of it!

And those movie titles are not on their walls, but they have a room (big big room) strictly dedicated to them (of course, that's the only way).

Eventually I'll post some of the best of them, so stay tuned. :b

VHS movies; let's not go there; I spent a fortune in the old days.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing