Weiss Engineering INT 202 review posted on 6moons

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Looks like the list price is $12,200 for an 8' bi-wire pair which is why I asked. It just struck me funny (but not ha-ha funny) that the most expensive part of your stereo rig is the speaker cables. When the Wilsons arrive, they may blow down your geisha girl screen room divider unless it is more rugged than it looks from the picture. You will have some real bottom end happening with the Wilsons which is something that mini-moes just can't do and you may discover some rattles where you didn't have rattles before.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
You guys are right about mark-up, of course, but pro dealers need mark-up as well, and pro products need to be imported and distributed. The majority of the additional dollars are, I'm sure, neither the faceplate nor the cost of distributing through high-end channels, but what the market will bear.

p
PP-the pricing is all a conspiracy and I can see you are all over it. Tell everyone not to pay $2K more for the home version and I am sure the price will drop very quickly and then you can stop complaining about that. Very few items in audio are sold that don't have a large mark-up except cheap CD/DVD players that play the perfect sounding digital files that you love. I think you can buy a brand new CD/DVD player for under $30 now.

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
Dan Weiss comments on pricing of high-end and pro gear

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/weiss-gear

FYI Third post down for those interested in the entire thread. Here's Daniel's contribution:

There are several possible reasons for the price differences between pro audio and highend audio gear:

- highend gear may use much more elaborate mechanics, even if it is just the frontpanel.
- highend gear may be individually tuned / trimmed for best performance
- highend gear may use special parts like special capacitors, resistors etc.
- highend gear may be manufactured in smaller lots which makes it more expensive.
- the distribution chains can be different, e.g. in pro audio it can be like manufacturer to distributor to enduser while in the highend it usually is manufacturer to distributor to dealer to enduser. This adds another margin. The benefit for the enduser is that he/she can buy at the store around the corner and gets first class customer treatment, like demo equipment at home, help with setting up the system, recommendations regarding acoustics, etc.

All those things add up to a higher price with the highend gear.

Daniel Weiss
www.weiss.ch

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Who's complaining, mep? I just offered the information. If you want to pay $2k more for the Minerva, enjoy.

P

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/weiss-gear

FYI Third post down for those interested in the entire thread. Here's Daniel's contribution:

There are several possible reasons for the price differences between pro audio and highend audio gear:

- highend gear may use much more elaborate mechanics, even if it is just the frontpanel.
- highend gear may be individually tuned / trimmed for best performance
- highend gear may use special parts like special capacitors, resistors etc.
- highend gear may be manufactured in smaller lots which makes it more expensive.
- the distribution chains can be different, e.g. in pro audio it can be like manufacturer to distributor to enduser while in the highend it usually is manufacturer to distributor to dealer to enduser. This adds another margin. The benefit for the enduser is that he/she can buy at the store around the corner and gets first class customer treatment, like demo equipment at home, help with setting up the system, recommendations regarding acoustics, etc.

All those things add up to a higher price with the highend gear.

Daniel Weiss
www.weiss.ch

You overlooked the snob factor. Many audiophiles will not even consider products in a certin price range.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Who's complaining, mep? I just offered the information. If you want to pay $2k more for the Minerva, enjoy.

P

Why you were PP-several times. And no, I don't want to pay $2k more for a face plate.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
You overlooked the snob factor. Many audiophiles will not even consider products in a certin price range.

How sad! How really sad!

John

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
One other consideration for difference between Pro/audio consumer is the retail protection (especially true here in UK).
There is more legal protection for general consumers than business and this would affect the business model to some extent, while also adding to the price differences.
As an example Dell has both a business-professional and general-public consumer purchase model, the business-professional is usually much cheaper even when comparing like for like products.
The reason comes down to the difference in legal rights and also support level, I know this for a fact as I have painfully experienced the downside of this :)

I appreciate there are other factors such as dealer/distributor markup,etc.
But one area usually forgotten is what I outlined above, not sure how it works for America though.
As an example if you want a good priced audiophile quality amp with similar characteristics to Krell, then purchasing the pro side of Chord Electronics is the way to go, however as its pro the design is also subtly different with internal fans, but you do save a fair amount of cash compared to the same audiophile model, just beware buyer's rights and support are not necessarily equal though, including selling/trade-in considerations where businesses can apply some kind of write-off when replacing.
I went with their consumer version some time ago (now with Devialet D-Premier digital integrated).

Cheers
Orb

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing