Software to Catalog Vinyl Collection

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
whart,

Have a look at Bento, an easy-to-use database app for Mac (and iOS). It's a scaled down version of Filemaker, a very powerful database.
I've set up my collection using it, and I can have it on my iPhone and iPad. And you can make it as complex (or as simple) as you like, with or without artwork, etc.

alexandre
Thank you, Alexandre.

Soundproof

Jan 13, 2012
Oslo, Norway
Discogs is a cloud-based, open-source and community driven database over records.

When it comes to vinyl, it has excellent overviews of issues, in various nations and by different labels. You can access a wealth of information about a given release, down to detailed photos of the labels, covers, dead-wax annotations.

Crate Digger is an app that accesses the Discogs database, via smartphones, etc. When you establish an account on Discogs, you begin marking which records you have that are already in the database - which is where those detailed label-photos, etc., come in handy. Then you can begin entering those records that aren't in the database, though it has grown tremendously in just a few years, and extended no-hits have become rare. But that's how the database grows, by members adding to it, thus sparing other members of having to do the entire work themselves.

Here's the entry for Beatles for Sale, from first issue onwards. Clicking each issue accesses different information for label/cover shots, etc.

http://www.discogs.com/Beatles-Beatles-For-Sale/master/45799

You can establish a Want List of specific issues that aren't in your collection, or where you are hunting for a better copy.
When crate digging for real, you can easily access the Crate Digger app on your smartphone, and quickly consult with your database: Do you have this record? Or you can find out the specifics of it by entering the release data, or scanning the bar code.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Discogs is a cloud-based, open-source and community driven database over records.

When it comes to vinyl, it has excellent overviews of issues, in various nations and by different labels. You can access a wealth of information about a given release, down to detailed photos of the labels, covers, dead-wax annotations.

Crate Digger is an app that accesses the Discogs database, via smartphones, etc. When you establish an account on Discogs, you begin marking which records you have that are already in the database - which is where those detailed label-photos, etc., come in handy. Then you can begin entering those records that aren't in the database, though it has grown tremendously in just a few years, and extended no-hits have become rare. But that's how the database grows, by members adding to it, thus sparing other members of having to do the entire work themselves.

Here's the entry for Beatles for Sale, from first issue onwards. Clicking each issue accesses different information for label/cover shots, etc.

http://www.discogs.com/Beatles-Beatles-For-Sale/master/45799

You can establish a Want List of specific issues that aren't in your collection, or where you are hunting for a better copy.
When crate digging for real, you can easily access the Crate Digger app on your smartphone, and quickly consult with your database: Do you have this record? Or you can find out the specifics of it by entering the release data, or scanning the bar code.
I have used Discogs for several years for research and occasionally, for purchases. Two questions:
1. If the release isn't already in the database, by adding it to my 'collection' it goes into the public database as well, right? (including odd things, like test pressings, promos or the like?Or are those variations simply part of 'notes' and if so, are they still word-searchable, i.e. I could generate a field only of test pressings, as an example?)
2. Through settings, I can make my collection 'private' even though adding a release, as in #1 above, becomes part of the public database?
I guess that's more than two questions, so here's another few:
3. can the database be managed by any field to generate lists?
4. can you add fields that will be searchable and can generate lists?
5. it won't export to Excel but if I wanted to print out or shift to another platform to generate a list of some sort, how well does that work?

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
5. it won't export to Excel but if I wanted to print out or shift to another platform to generate a list of some sort, how well does that work?

That was my problem with Discogs/Rate your Music. They won't let you export your own data. Perhaps some day they will, but when I last checked, a few months ago, the answer I got was "no".

alexandre

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
That was my problem with Discogs/Rate your Music. They won't let you export your own data. Perhaps some day they will, but when I last checked, a few months ago, the answer I got was "no".

alexandre
From what I read, they used to enable EXCEL export, but no more. Here are the current options (which do allow export):

Export Data

Choose export options
What to export
Contributions Collection Wantlist Marketplace Inventory Marketplace Orders Marketplace Order Items
Data Format
CSV XML
Request Data Export

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
PS. The one thing I do like about Discogs is that the database is very 'deep' for vinyl releases, which is all that i am focused on- i.e., various pressings from different countries, time periods, labels, etc. And all of that can be loaded by a click, as Soundproof indicated. (Obviously, I'd be selective, since I don't own every pressing of each release).

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
My dream cataloging software would have

1. album art
2. artist
3. album
4. track listing
5. if it's a jazz release, all the musicians playing on it and instrument
6. year of release
7. genre
8. pressing details, ie matrix information, release label
9. jacket/LP condition
10. a section to add your own details or notes

I know it is OCD :)

I use a Google Docs spreadsheet for the time being. It's accessible on any device connected to the net and there is an app for Android and iOS. I only do artist, album, condition and matrix/label info.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
My dream cataloging software would have

1. album art
2. artist
3. album
4. track listing
5. if it's a jazz release, all the musicians playing on it and instrument
6. year of release
7. genre
8. pressing details, ie matrix information, release label
9. jacket/LP condition
10. a section to add your own details or notes

I know it is OCD :)

I use a Google Docs spreadsheet for the time being. It's accessible on any device connected to the net and there is an app for Android and iOS. I only do artist, album, condition and matrix/label info.
This is one of the reasons why I asked about Discogs, b/c it is very vinyl-centric, has tons of data about various releases that you simply click into your private collection, including artwork, and you can categorize by genre (I'm not sure how finely, I'll have to research more- old country vs 'new Nashville' aka 70's pop? or just 'country' :)). There is also a field for notes, and for grading of sleeve, jacket, etc. I'm not sure the various release data already in the database has the matrix info, but it does have label, year and country of origin) and I suppose you could add your matrix info in the notes.
As Mike L. rightly points out, I want to spend my time listening, not being a data entry geek. So, I'm leaning this way if I do it. But will continue to look at the other programs people have suggested. Many thanks to all those who have contributed so far. Kinda ironic, right- old skool listening, new school data management.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
This is one of the reasons why I asked about Discogs, b/c it is very vinyl-centric, has tons of data about various releases that you simply click into your private collection, including artwork, and you can categorize by genre (I'm not sure how finely, I'll have to research more- old country vs 'new Nashville' aka 70's pop? or just 'country' :)). There is also a field for notes, and for grading of sleeve, jacket, etc. I'm not sure the various release data already in the database has the matrix info, but it does have label, year and country of origin) and I suppose you could add your matrix info in the notes.
As Mike L. rightly points out, I want to spend my time listening, not being a data entry geek. So, I'm leaning this way if I do it. But will continue to look at the other programs people have suggested. Many thanks to all those who have contributed so far. Kinda ironic, right- old skool listening, new school data management.

Good to know Discogs offers all those things. The irony didn't pass me by :) I was thinking the same thing when I was retyping some of my listening notes into Google Docs. I used to do it John Peel style with notecards.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing