Software to Catalog Vinyl Collection

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I'm pretty much Mac-centric these days. I know Discogs has a cataloging feature but:
1. I gather that entries are made by searching the releases already in that database and adding them. What about things like promo releases, test pressings and the like?
2. Do I really need or want it to be cloud based? (Upside- computer crash doesn't affect; downside- it's that I want to hold it in my own network kinda thing).
3. Ease of use. This is going to be a giant PITA given how many records I have. I figure it's something to chip away at, perhaps even during listening sessions. (I often read for pleasure and am sometimes on line while I have the stereo going, so it's not that big a distraction. I don't do 'work' work while listening- total buzzkill on the music and it's distracting).
4. How do you tie physical placement of the vinyl to the database? In other words, for those of you with fairly large vinyl collections, does the physical placement of the albums correlate with the organization of the database in some way- pop, soul, jazz, blues (all those lines can blur), classical, etc? I have some fairly rough landscaping of the collection, but it's on a pretty 'gross' level and individual albums are not organized within those categories- some of my gross categories are simply based on label for classical.
5. Any suggestions for easy to use, but scaleable for additional data field entries would be good.
6. What's realistic for those of you who have been through this process? How much data do you capture other than title, artist, label, genre, and perhaps some particulars re the pressing? I can't imagine adding playgrading as part of a cataloging process, but maybe, once started, some additional notes would be appropriate.
7. I guess the value of the Discogs database is that you can quickly do such things as get current value, or import additional data as you want, without typing it all in.
What say youse?

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
You can use Address Book on a Mac. It allows you to customize all the fields if you want, add an album cover picture, and write notes. Just create a subcategory, it is basically a generic database.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
You can use Address Book on a Mac. It allows you to customize all the fields if you want, add an album cover picture, and write notes. Just create a subcategory, it is basically a generic database.

Not to be a PITA, but address book in Mac is a separate page or set of pages for each 'entry.' I can search it in certain ways, not only by name (which is how I currently use it- as an address book), but I suppose by any other field. However, it doesn't enable me to see a list, let's say, of all recorded performances of a particular composer or artist, or generate other 'spreadsheets' showing multiple items? Or does it? And is it exportable? Importable? Sorry, I said I didn't want to be a pain, but I guess I am.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Bill, This thread is really timely, LOL. I am in the process of cataloging my vinyl collection, and on a Mac:D

I am using the numbers program...it allows for a spread sheet that one can customize as to the input characteristics. The primary issue is the input work required (typing). Luckily, my eldest daughter is off school for summer and needed a job.:)
So, we designed a spread sheet with the following columns: Album name, Artist, Label, Mono/Stereo, Call #, Condition, Value, Location description in my storage area. Hope this helps.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I have a different perspective. 'the alphabet'.

I have three groups of Lps, and three sections of Lps in each group.

I have group 'A' (the 5000-6000 best) in my listening room and right outside my door in the hallway, group 'B' (2000-3000 dups, back-ups, and less desirable) downstairs at the end of the hall, and group 'C' (2000-3000 deep depth and yet to be investigated) upstairs in my rec room.

in each group I have 3 sections; pop/rock, jazz/blues, and classical/world....all alphabetized. pop/rock and Jazz/blues by artist, classical and world by composer.

in group 'A' I have a separate section for my 45rpms and a separate section for my mono's.

I typically listen with the lights low and I can mostly select almost any Lp from my 'A' group without the lights on just by being familiar with where things are through frequent use.

when i'm in the mood for vinyl it seems to me that a computer program would be a significant distraction as I listen. I have my music server for that 'vibe' when i'm feeling that way. and since I've never sold any of my Lps i don't really think about the value once I own them.

Last edited:

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Carl, thanks for the links. Will look. I guess a custom database is always best, but Mike's suggestion sure makes life easy. (BTW, no phone or 'real' computer in the music room, but I do take my iPad in there). I think Doc uses Discogs, be interested in hearing from him as well.

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
There must be an app for this.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
A naïve thought, is there a way to use the barcode reader in a smartphone and then import the data into a spreadsheet?

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
A naïve thought, is there a way to use the barcode reader in a smartphone and then import the data into a spreadsheet?

I'm sure that's possible- but vast majority of records I have are pre-bar code. In fact, I go out of my way when buying to get older pressings, unless it is some audiophile remaster that is a must have. So, while I do buy some general release new music, that's really a small fraction of what I'm sitting on.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I'm a big fan of Collectorz: http://www.collectorz.com/music/
Works great for the Mac. Best of all data is on your computer, the Cloud and available on your mobile devices --- yes there is an app for that! Has paid for itself many times over by reducing duplicate purchases. I like the ability to personalize...I catalog by mono, etc. Helpful to know which original pressings I own and keeping a 'want' list.

CD entry is easy; scan the barcode. LP's without a barcode are more labor intensive, however the latest upgrade is MUCH easier and quicker. I paid my kids piece work rates for the initial data entry (and yes, a few child labor laws may have been broken along the way).

Here is my pop/jazz collection:http://connect.collectorz.com/users/jazdoc/music/view

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I use Excel, for which I have categories, but mostly I keep the large part of my classical collection by label and catalog number. Around 10,000 of my 15,000 records are by label and catalog. I use the search function on Excel to find whatever I am looking for, including Composer, Artist, Recording Engineer, venue of recording, etc. As I get old(er) I can't remember catalog numbers like I used to, so the computer to record position is more and more important. Having digitized more than 4000 of my records and tapes, it is much easier to scroll to the digital file and click or drag it to the digital player (I am using Audirvana + without iTunes).

Larry

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Works great for the Mac. Best of all data is on your computer, the Cloud and available on your mobile devices --- yes there is an app for that! Has paid for itself many times over by reducing duplicate purchases. I like the ability to personalize...I catalog by mono, etc. Helpful to know which original pressings I own and keeping a 'want' list.

CD entry is easy; scan the barcode. LP's without a barcode are more labor intensive, however the latest upgrade is MUCH easier and quicker. I paid my kids piece work rates for the initial data entry (and yes, a few child labor laws may have been broken along the way).

Here is my pop/jazz collection:http://connect.collectorz.com/users/jazdoc/music/view

That's pretty cool jazdoc. However, I think it may not work for classical, due to the name description limitations.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

Like you I am a big fan of CollectorZ's Music Collector and have used it for years. I like having a complete list of all my music on my iPhone when I am browsing for music.It was really developed for CD's but some LP barcodes are in the database. If not find the CD and use that to automatically enter most of the data and edit the rest by breaking it down to Side A & Side B and adjusting for playing time.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Thank you all- Davey, Doc, Still-one, Odin, Astrotoy (as well as the others who chimed in, including the indefatigable Mike L- who just says organize the damn records and forget the computer index). I've got a little research to do here.
Best,
Bill

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
whart,

Have a look at Bento, an easy-to-use database app for Mac (and iOS). It's a scaled down version of Filemaker, a very powerful database.
I've set up my collection using it, and I can have it on my iPhone and iPad. And you can make it as complex (or as simple) as you like, with or without artwork, etc.

alexandre

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing