Magico Ultimate 3

Cyclotronguy

Aug 31, 2012
N. CA
Thank goodness we have a few Alon Wolf's who will take on a project of this scope, one suspects just because it amuses.

If you've casually followed Alon, since long before there was a Magico, you will get a sense that while the U3's are clearly a money project....... It's not ALL about the money. And if it was, it long ago all went to the guys who were supplying material & turning big plates of Aluminum into sculpture, or the folks building the room.

And for what it's worth, I've never owned a Magico speaker. Closest I've come is hearing his product at shows. I don't have to be in love with the U3 to have a great appreciation for it.

Cyclotronguy

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
With this guy, its ALL about the money, nothing but.....

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Has this SOTA project got any further fwd, Stereo?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hmm, obviously not.
A shame, this was one uber project I was REALLY interested in
Maybe an Israeli military-spec server/multi amps/multi dacs/multi clocks, and the not insubstantial concept of a $600k pair room-devouring horns was always going to be just a LITTLE too much :p.

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
Hmm, obviously not.
A shame, this was one uber project I was REALLY interested in
Maybe an Israeli military-spec server/multi amps/multi dacs/multi clocks, and the not insubstantial concept of a $600k pair room-devouring horns was always going to be just a LITTLE too much :p.

Sorry, I have not visited this forum for the past 2mths, had other things than audio keeping me busy.
To answer your question: the project is still completely live:
- room is built
- speakers are built, ready to be shipped in Magico
- custom made server/ multi channel digital crossover is done
- custom made 10 channels digital clock is done
- the DACs have been secured (I have 6 Pacific microsonic PM2)
- current phase is testing of different custom made amplifiers, and then working on the right settings for digital crossover.
I am not in a hurry as I have little time for audio these days, think it will take 6 more months for everything to be completed.
Once I am done, I will post on my own website the learning

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Great news. Pls keep us posted !

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Very nice seems like the definition of understatement. But, what the hey, very nice.
I know nothing about digital, but 10 channels of clock seems like a bit beyond the normal configuration. Are you confident it will all pull together?

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
Very nice seems like the definition of understatement. But, what the hey, very nice.
I know nothing about digital, but 10 channels of clock seems like a bit beyond the normal configuration. Are you confident it will all pull together?
the 10 channels are output of the same clock... I need them as I will run 5 DACs in parallel.
Am I confident it will work as well as I think? I don't know, but I want to give it a try (the real question is on the crossover not on the clock: can I make a FIR filter sounding better than a standard IIR). I can always go back to Magico standard x-over solution for the Ultimate if my solution doesn't sound as good as what I hope for.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Whatever happened to this speaker?

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
When I was at Magico I was under the impression they were custom made if somebody wanted one. I doubt the market is that big for $650K speakers. When I listened to the one in the Magico demo room I was amazed at how effortlessly it seemed to play. However, it didn't strike me as all that great, and was big and ugly to boot. Plus you need an amp for each driver. I will take my S5s any day, thank you. :)

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
When I was at Magico I was under the impression they were custom made if somebody wanted one. I doubt the market is that big for $650K speakers. When I listened to the one in the Magico demo room I was amazed at how effortlessly it seemed to play. However, it didn't strike me as all that great, and was big and ugly to boot. Plus you need an amp for each driver. I will take my S5s any day, thank you. :)

And you wonder why someone like stereo would post anything about his Ultimate here :rolleyes:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Stereo is probably too blissed out to bother posting

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
And you wonder why someone like stereo would post anything about his Ultimate here :rolleyes:

I certainly don't wonder about that. :)

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing