VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
003 .... At Paragon Jeddah

image.jpg image.jpg

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
If I am not mistaken the amps are XA Avantgarde series? Two power amps per channel and pre XA with battery supply.

Last edited:

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
If I am not mistaken the amps are XA Avantgarde series? Two power amps per channel and pre XA with battery supply.

Yes correct , some problems with the X-over settings, so did not hear them at their best . The Arrakis in the other room sounded FAB !

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Magico Ultimate III installation video :

Ultimate III, Air Force One, Soulutions, Crystal Cables ...etc

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks, CKK...and they did not play even one note? Not one? Killer!

SeagoatLeo

Feb 23, 2015
This speaker is totally different from Magico's retail lines of A, S, Q, M Did they think perfection is unrelated to their conventional designs? Wilson, Von Schweikert, B&W, Giya, YP Acoustics, Rockport all have top of the line speakers which are in line with their design philosophies.

SeagoatLeo

Feb 23, 2015
The Ultimate III looks like an open baffle and horn system. Looks more like an Avant Garde Trio in reverse horn treatment.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
This speaker is totally different from Magico's retail lines of A, S, Q, M Did they think perfection is unrelated to their conventional designs? Wilson, Von Schweikert, B&W, Giya, YP Acoustics, Rockport all have top of the line speakers which are in line with their design philosophies.

Interesting question. Remember, the Ultimate was developed very early on before they had all of these lines. They had the Mini and perhaps a couple other designs at the time. The company has grown a lot since then. I think these are the third model of the Ultimate. My suspicion is that Wolf prefers horn designs, but he also likes growth and what the company has become. His other models cover a broad range and have attracted many customers. I wonder if that would have been possible with an all horn line up.

Reactions: SeagoatLeo

SeagoatLeo

Feb 23, 2015
Here are some YouTubes of the speaker.
Bad recorded sound
Description only
Taiko drum demonstration
Description only
Description only

Reactions: CKKeung

SeagoatLeo

Feb 23, 2015
Well, the greatest music system I ever heard cost $1.4 million and had Von Schweikert Ultra 11s, 4 VAC 450s, VS Subs and a large assortment of other equipment, multiple stands, $400,000 in cabling. Set-up must have been more difficult but it was worth it as all reviewers have stated.

Reactions: Alrainbow

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

SeagoatLeo

Feb 23, 2015
Interesting question. Remember, the Ultimate was developed very early on before they had all of these lines. They had the Mini and perhaps a couple other designs at the time. The company has grown a lot since then. I think these are the third model of the Ultimate. My suspicion is that Wolf prefers horn designs, but he also likes growth and what the company has become. His other models cover a broad range and have attracted many customers. I wonder if that would have been possible with an all horn line up.
Yes, you're correct that it is an older initial design and that as a horn system there would be some negativity in the marketplace. This then is a one-off model of a speaker for them. Probably only one or two sales annually (if any since they are rarely shown).

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Reactions: SeagoatLeo

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Well, the greatest music system I ever heard cost $1.4 million and had Von Schweikert Ultra 11s, 4 VAC 450s, VS Subs and a large assortment of other equipment, multiple stands, $400,000 in cabling. Set-up must have been more difficult but it was worth it as all reviewers have stated.

You must have gotten lucky. I have heard a system with Von Schweikert Ultra 11s and VAC 450s at AXPONA in 2017. The sound was unimpressively mediocre, shall we say. Just goes to show that you cannot necessarily expect great sound at a show. Nonetheless, some reviewers raved about the sound, which speaks to the honesty of reviewers, I guess.

I have no doubt that in more favorable circumstances, such as in a well set-up home setting, the sound from such a system will be vastly better.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Solution amps and compression drivers, sounds like a match made in Heaven.
I hope you forgot the "rolling eyes" at the end of your sentence :eek:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing