Review of the Xs-300 power amps

Cyclotronguy

Aug 31, 2012
N. CA
Just up this am, Tone Audio's review of the Xs-300's (www.tonepublications.com)..... lots of other good stuff too, music review's, interviews.... eye candy.

Cyclotronguy

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Time for an upgrade Christian? :p

other than power, my amps are the same. XS 150 power is plenty for 94db sensitivity speakers. They have never broken a sweat in my system. I on the other hand can sweat due to the heat and the warm musical feeling they give me.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I am astonished. :eek: The May/June issue of The Absolute Sound publishes a great review of the Pass Xs Preamp and the Xs 300 Mono Power Amplifiers by Anthony H. Cordesman and the Pass owners are not commenting it!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I am astonished. :eek: The May/June issue of The Absolute Sound publishes a great review of the Pass Xs Preamp and the Xs 300 Mono Power Amplifiers by Anthony H. Cordesman and the Pass owners are not commenting it!

I haven't seen the issue yet. What did they say about the XS pre ?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com

We don't have to say anything.... we know they are good. ;)

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I hope the review is not just a variation of his XA160.5/XP20 review. That review was very positive, but I hope he tells us more than "they are much better." I hope he explores the technology differences and goes into some depth about how and why they sound better. Reviewers always talk about how the Pass amps and preamps bridge the gap between SS and tubes. I want to learn more. You can already guess that he loved them.

I also hope he addresses the value question. Pass has always been considered a great value product relative to the competition. This combination is so much more expensive than what Pass has done in the past.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
What's a bit interesting about this issue of TAS is what else it contains, i.e. reviews of "moderately" priced amps/preamps from Viola and Zanden which Harley and Valin, respectively, compare to the best available regardless of price.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Isn't this April 2nd?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Great article... actually compares it against the XP-30/XA-160.5 combo ;)

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I just read Cordesman's review of the Xs Preamp and Xs300s. I would say he is spot on with his comments. I had been using the XP30 and XA100s prior to getting the Xs pair so I have a good feel for where he was coming from. It would have been nice if he had at least discussed other aspects of his reference system, unless I missed it some place in the article.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I just read Cordesman's review of the Xs Preamp and Xs300s. I would say he is spot on with his comments. I had been using the XP30 and XA100s prior to getting the Xs pair so I have a good feel for where he was coming from. It would have been nice if he had at least discussed other aspects of his reference system, unless I missed it some place in the article.

I may be calling my dealer later this week. I found the article a little light on sound performance specifics. Clearly he loved the combo as he should.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

As an owner of the XP-30 / XA160.5's / Alexias who also has the XA160.8's I think his review mirrors what I'm hearing with the .8's.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing