How to grow the R2R catalogues??

Greg Beron / UHA

Member Sponsor
Apr 5, 2012
Washington DC
www.unitedhomeaudio.com
Hey Larry,
When I had the idea of running this 1/4 page ad in The Absolute Sound I emailed everyone selling Master Tape copies to try and get all of them to go in on the ad.
The ones you see in the ad were the ones that agreed to pay for the co-op ad, Yarlung and The Tape Project did not want to participate at this time.
I have hopes that they and others will get on board too.
We need to start showing our presence, I have been advertising alone for years!

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
Involving more folk at all levels in this reel to reel thing we all love.

Hello all and thank you all for your efforts regarding this tape thing we all love. Many of you have seen some of my first posts so you know I am a man on a fixed income and can't afford the "high end" stuff that many here is blessed with. You have also seen my posts where I have expressed joy when I read about some of the equipment many of you possess. I love audio and music and have been blessed to have a large number of LP records that was on HP's list of "records to live for". I don't want to die for anything (lol). However, my interest now is there any way to get the large number of persons who might want to get involved in audio and reel to reel tape specifically while not being frightened off by thinking this is just a "high end" love affair. I believe building the number of people who can purchase a moderately priced tape deck could be a good start. The great thing about this forum and the Tape Project is, no one has ever made me feel "less than" and I appreciate that. As a matter of fact, some of you have invited me to your abode to listen to music and i would take you up on that invite if most of you were not so far away. I am still looking here in Georgia to find reel to reel lovers. I would love ideas regarding how to get more folk at all levels involved especially those that may feel like this is only for "high end". Thanks for listening all.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Hey Larry,
When I had the idea of running this 1/4 page ad in The Absolute Sound I emailed everyone selling Master Tape copies to try and get all of them to go in on the ad.
The ones you see in the ad were the ones that agreed to pay for the co-op ad, Yarlung and The Tape Project did not want to participate at this time.
I have hopes that they and others will get on board too.
We need to start showing our presence, I have been advertising alone for years!

Hi Greg, thanks for clearing that up. I didn't realize it was a coop ad in TAS that you organized. I need to read my TAS's more carefully! I do see your colorful ads - well done, memorable and easy to spot.

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
Reel to Reel and all that Kool Stuff

:)Yes, Greg has been posting for a while and his ad's are very professional and inviting. I certainly hope that more people pick up on that and any other information, reviews, etc, regarding reel to reel tapes (the music) and tape decks. Is there any other way we, as a group, can refer anyone who might show an interest in this fine musical? I guess I'm asking, what else can we do? I plan to ask my pastor's staff to develop a 3 ring binder of church goers and their hobbies. That way, if there are any who love jazz or classical music or audio in general, I can approach them with the "good news" of tape stuff.

Off topic, does anyone know if any of the audio shows will be making plans to come to the Atlanta, Georgia area in the near future? I think the last one held here was in 2010 or 2011. At any rate, it was just before I got married. Please give me a "heads up" if you've heard anything friends. :cool:

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
No audio shows in Atlanta until the snow melts.

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
No audio shows in Atlanta until the snow melts.

You're very right Asamel, the hard weather hit us here in Georgia pretty hard. Of course none of the higher level people wanted to take responsibility for what was a complete debacle.

At any rate, as I recall the last audio show was in October several years ago and I had come to Georgia to visit my fiance and, by the way, the audio show was here. I don't recall any rooms featuring a tape deck and tapes. Most had turntable, but some had CD front ends. I am not familiar with any of the shows coming more close to us than Washington, DC and I might try to connect that one with my visit home to Baltimore, Maryland. While I am at it, I intend to visit Greg's audio salon. I have not been there since leaving Baltimore. Thanks all. :)

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
I opine that the "RTR tape wave" has crested in the US and that any "new" activity may come from Pacific Rim countries - with maybe a teensy bit from Europe/Russia. From a "newbie perspective" weighing against tape are the marked improvements in the new digital formats (especially DSD). Also, with the exception of Greg's approach, the equipment isn't (necessarily) plug-and-play.

The expense (investment) required to get new playback material to market versus the small sales potential (payback) is an unsolvable chicken-and-egg situation. The only music format I'd "plug" would be "Rock" and the cost of the copyrights would probably doom it. Try to bypass that and you risk incurring the wrath of the Copyright Police.

Tape Project got this whole resurgence going - lets see how/if they can continue.

Charles

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I've been in contact with 2 Asian labels that want to put out tape. There is a U.S. label that will put out new releases hopefully this year.

Greg Beron / UHA

Member Sponsor
Apr 5, 2012
Washington DC
www.unitedhomeaudio.com
Master Tape Movement is Still Growing!

I don't see anything cresting at all!
I did 6 shows last year and there was lots of great press coverage! The buzz was happening and I am backed up a few months with tape deck orders. I have numerous people in the audio industry that want tape decks, (but I have to get the customer decks out first, sorry for the delay!).

At the shows I have experienced allot of new interest in tape. Some guys that are buying my decks have been 100% digital and are jumping into the "other analog" source simply because... they heard it!
I believe that the folks I have spoken to lately like UltraAnalogue, Opus3 and Yarlung are doing well with tape sales. I know that my customers have bought a bunch tapes from them.
I understand that tapes will also be for sale on the Elusive Disc web site soon and there are new companies jumping into Master Tape sales this year, watch and see.

I have been doing lots of R&D and am building new products and they are selling. There will be a new review in TAS and more coverage of the Tape Movement to come.
I am getting calls to do interviews on tape, requests to do shows with various manufacturers, some web sites actually want me to write reviews of tapes, this ain't cresting as I see it.
I am planning to take this tape circus to Europe this year and do the Munich show with Udo Bessler of AVM and Rolangd Gauder of Gauder Acoustics, we showed together at The Newport Show and they have been pushing me ever since to show with them in Munich. They are quite optimistic about the interest in the tape movement in Europe. In Montreal the after hours shows were so packed that people actually brought cushions from the sofas in the hallway and were sitting 2 feet from a freaking speaker just trying to get in the room!
Go to my web site and sign up for my email newsletter to keep up with new events.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I think first is getting the tapemachines to a modern standard , rockport /continuum(and some others ) quality , with modern noise free record and repro amps(boulder )
Secondly take the tapes recorded from the " second grade artists " who (s labels) wont charge the jackpot, most audiophiles are in it for soundquality anyway

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
It's encouraging an effort continues to sustain analog reel-to-reel tape.
Long Live Analog...Master Tape!

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
I've received four tapes in the mail this week form three sources!

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com
I've received four tapes in the mail this week form three sources!

Bruce-

My copy of Suryodaya was waiting for me when I got home today. Thanks for turning me on to it!

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Tape never sounded better than it did on your rig two Sundays ago!

Greg Beron / UHA

Member Sponsor
Apr 5, 2012
Washington DC
www.unitedhomeaudio.com
ABC's series "Nashville" picks up on the Reel to Reel resurgence!

Was watching the ABC series Nashville Feb. 5th titled "Too Far Gone" when one of the main characters Deacon Claiborne was recording his comeback solo album (after a long struggle with alcohol) at the Bluebird Café.
He wanted people to feel like they were at the concert in the Bluebird when the recording engineer said, "Then we better lay it down on analog two track".
See the clip of the song "Keep Coming Back" for a R2R deck recording on a major prime time network!

http://abc.go.com/shows/nashville

Go to new performances, watch now on the right of the page and look for the song "Keep Coming Back" by Deacon.

BTW, this series has some interesting music, the two young girls are great, check out the clip below.

http://abc.go.com/shows/nashville/video/PL55199661/VDKA0_1jamuan0

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Last night I attended a house concert with a great band. The host asked me to bring my reel deck and some tapes for the band to hear. They all loved the deck and the sound! They stayed in the listening room right up until they had to perform. I even saw the bass player taking a picture of the deck! I left the deck for the night and I have a feeling it was well used overnight.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I am late to this conversation but my perspective may be of interest. I love listening to analog and have grown my vinyl collection significantly over the past 5 years after getting back into vinyl. I also own an Otari MX-5050 MKII and love the sound of reels. My frustration is the lack of available recordings. I would be thrilled to support someone's effort to expand this format. It seemed like the tapeproject was the start of things but that seems to have fizzled out. I would love to buy more reels. I wish someone would work with the Music Matters Jazz and get the licensing to produce reels along with records.

Greg Beron / UHA

Member Sponsor
Apr 5, 2012
Washington DC
www.unitedhomeaudio.com
I am late to this conversation but my perspective may be of interest. I love listening to analog and have grown my vinyl collection significantly over the past 5 years after getting back into vinyl. I also own an Otari MX-5050 MKII and love the sound of reels. My frustration is the lack of available recordings. I would be thrilled to support someone's effort to expand this format. It seemed like the tapeproject was the start of things but that seems to have fizzled out. I would love to buy more reels. I wish someone would work with the Music Matters Jazz and get the licensing to produce reels along with records.

Here is a list of places to buy master tape copies, updated list Feb 2014.

Opus 3 : http://www.opus3records.com/

International Phonograph Inc. : http://internationalphonographinc.com/

The Tape Project : http://www.tapeproject.com/

Yarlung Records : yarlungrecords.com

Premonition Records : premonitionrecords.com

Ultra Analogue Recordings : ultraanaloguerecordings.com

Groove Note Records : Can't find a web site but the tapes are available from Kevin Berg with Elusive Disc.

Master Tape Sound Lab : http://www.mastertapesoundlab.com/Ma...b/Welcome.html

NEW! February 2014:

http://www.analog-audio.eu/en/master...nre_en_tid=All

http://www.abcrecord.com/en/index.asp

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing