Bought my first DAC

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS

It's a $100 Shiit Modi. I plan to use it with my desktop, as the MAudio soundcard fried itself after ~12 years of flawless service. I also want to try it in my main system in conjunction with my laptop and Spotify. I'm not expecting much in a hi-fi application, but I do hope to get a taste of what the whole thing is about. Ultimately, I want to purchase an OPPO-105, which should provide all the digital ins/outs I'd need. Wish me luck. I'm pretty excited. It's the first DAC I bought with my own money. lol

Last edited:

Odysseus

Jun 2, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Looks like an American company, when they came up with the name of the company, did they realize they might sell to the English-speaking community? Can you imagine: "Hi guys! I just bought an awesome piece of Schiit equipment, can't wait to immerse myself in it! " LOL!

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
They must have named it to bring attention to themselves, but from all that I've heard (even though I have not heard one) they are very good value for money, and also very good period..... I'd get one for myself to try, but I just can't bring myself to shell out good money for a piece of Schiit.

Felix, congratulations! Welcome to the dark side. Please don't sell digital short. When you're ready, optimize a computer for music server duties, and you'll be surprised how much music you enjoy from 1's and 0's.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Looks like an American company, when they came up with the name of the company, did they realize they might sell to the English-speaking community? Can you imagine: "Hi guys! I just bought an awesome piece of Schiit equipment, can't wait to immerse myself in it! " LOL!

It was reportedly done on purpose. The story goes that the owners of the company horsing around with tag lines (The main one involving the phrase "You ain't heard Schiit") and it just stuck. :D

Odysseus

Jun 2, 2012
San Antonio, TX
That makes sense. I guess this changes my first impression about the people running that company from "total idiots, what were they thinking? " to "they're clever, or at least bold"... I still think I'd have a hard time buying something with that name.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
That makes sense. I guess this changes my first impression about the people running that company from "total idiots, what were they thinking? " to "they're clever, or at least bold"... I still think I'd have a hard time buying something with that name.

The name was a selling point for me. Love it! I get a big kick saying, "I just bought a Schiit piece of gear."

FWIW, the DACs are designed by Mike Moffat (Theta).

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
Felix, congratulations! Welcome to the dark side. Please don't sell digital short. When you're ready, optimize a computer for music server duties, and you'll be surprised how much music you enjoy from 1's and 0's.

Gary, it's interesting that you mention a music server idea, as I've been struggling with how I would actually use one. I mean, now I select a recording, either drop it into the CDP or cue the 'table, and away we go. With a server I'd first have to upload all of my CDs, then use an interphase (smart phone?) to select a title to play. Maybe I'm missing something, and I probably am, how is that better? I realize that I'll be able to stream the music all over the house, but it's not like we live in the Versailles. Hell, my system energizes the whole house. I'm not sure there's a benefit in my situation. Of course, I may be missing a crucial piece of information.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
BTW, IIRC, a Schiit DAC - a more full-fledged model than mine - was reviewed in Stereophile this month.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS

The guts: I have no idea what I'm looking at. Not really. Worth $100?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Gary, it's interesting that you mention a music server idea, as I've been struggling with how I would actually use one. I mean, now I select a recording, either drop it into the CDP or cue the 'table, and away we go. With a server I'd first have to upload all of my CDs, then use an interphase (smart phone?) to select a title to play. Maybe I'm missing something, and I probably am, how is that better? I realize that I'll be able to stream the music all over the house, but it's not like we live in the Versailles. Hell, my system energizes the whole house. I'm not sure there's a benefit in my situation. Of course, I may be missing a crucial piece of information.

With my music server, any CD I buy is immediately ripped and loaded. All my CDs, SACDs and DVD-A's have already been loaded over the past few years. I'm also slowly ripping my vinyl collection to DSD and PCM 20/176.4.

Anytime I feel like listening to any music, I pick up either my smart phone, iPad, iPad mini, Android tablet and pick something to play. I can sort by genre, album, artist, composer, conductor, soloist. Best thing about putting everything in a music server is that I listen to things that I wouldn't have picked up, and re-discover CDs I had bought years ago. When I hear something I like, I can easily segue into another artist/album in my server, or through Pandora or Spotify into something I don't have, and if I like something I can order a new album with one click.

Hard to do that with physical CDs.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA

The guts: I have no idea what I'm looking at. Not really. Worth $100?
Not sure how he makes a living given what is in there :). Kind of hard to see the chip markings but looks like the main processor/USB interface is the cmedia 6631a: http://www.cmedia.com.tw/ProductsDetail.aspx?page=p&C1Serno=25&C2Serno=27&PSerno=43

This is a $10 part in single pieces. In quantity it is probably $5 to $6. There is an SST part next to it that may be flash memory to store its program. And an AKM DAC. It is probably $30 in parts plus the cost of case, packaging, assembly/test. Hard to understand how he is making any reasonable amount of money given the low volumes in this crowded market.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
The name does present an interesting dilemma. If you had someone over to listen and they said: "what a piece of Schiit", you would not know if they did not like it or were just making a statement of fact. :D

Or this Schiit stinks! :)

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
One of the most underrated things in life. Enjoy it in good health. :)
(FWIW, i haven't fooled around with any of the current digital separates, so it will be interesting to get your take on budget DAC in the context of 'serious' hi-fi.)

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
OK, I got my Schiit a few hours ago. Its build quality is terrific, not only for its $100 price, but for similarly box-enclosed components at several times the cost. Impressive at first touch. It locked onto my laptop immediately and my impressions are solely based on very familiar tracks using Spotify as a source and a generic USB cable.

No real bass. Not a problem in its intended place on my desktop, but still. Complex vocal passages sound homogeneous, compared to what I heard through the MAudio card and a lesser resolving system on my desk. Nearfield, farfield, etc... give me time.

This being said, it's an absolute hoot playing songs almost instantly, especially those I'd likely never own.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
Odd effect in the system: most male singers sound like tenors. Winwood, on John Barleycorn, sounds like a 17 year old girl. Almost a soprano. Cable issue, maybe, possibly, hopefully?

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
I've donated the Schiit to my 11 year old son. He's a gaming addict and this will make the experience a lot more fun for him. Got him some MAudio speakers, too.

As for me, I picked up a HRT Music Streamer II. It will soon find a permanent home behind my desktop, but for now I'm trying it out in the main system. The HRT's sound is at least a grade above the entry-level Schiit. Everything is better; the presentation is so much less etched and more dimensional. Much better delineation of individual tracks, if you will. Complex passages no longer sound like a big blob of sound, but the bass is still a bit weak. Perhaps it's due to a lack of a real power supply, but what do I know.

Inspired by all this, I may be buying an Oppo 105 in a couple of weeks. They seem to be out of stock.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing