The United Home Audio, Phase 11, Reel-to-Reel Review- world's best source component

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I have just finished the state-of-the-art UHA Phase 11 tape machine review with two systems; the MBL 101E MKII/AVM MA-8 super system and the YG Acoustics Sonja/Ypsilon Aelius super system.

The UHA deck is the finest source component I've heard, period. I thought it deserved its own thread :)

You can watch the tape being threaded and see and hear the machine whirrrrr. It's totally cool.

When you watch part 2, the listening session, please set the video for HD and listen through a good set of headphones. Sorry, it's Keith Don't Go, but at least we all know it. You can really hear the speed of the system and Keith's guitar and fingerings. The sound is very similar to hearing it here. I hope you enjoy it.

http://www.avshowrooms.com/UHA_Reel_to_Reel__Deck.html

UHA Review.jpg

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Thanks, Peter and Greg, for sharing...very nice :)

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
For anyone wanting to get into tape with a turn-key solution, the UHA decks are a no-brainer.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Nice deck but quite frankly I think it's time for Keith to go..

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Nice work Peter.

I've listened to Greg's deck with multiple combinations of equipment. I think Bruce mentioned it is a no-brainer for turn-key tape playback. Based on what I've heard from this deck, I think it deserves consideration no matter what you are looking for; turn-key or not.

At some point the question has to be asked: Why caveat the deck for turn-key?

From what else I've heard so far, it's a darn good deck no matter whether its a personal preference or not.

Dre

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
At some point the question has to be asked: Why caveat the deck for turn-key?
Dre

Because so many people have succumbed to the perils of eBay and have ended up with either a door-stop or having to spend literally thousands of dollars just to have a working machine, much less a machine that sounds decent. Present company included.

This is the biggest roadblock for most folks trying to get into tape, tech support. This deck, the UHA, comes with tech support, warranty, spare parts and can compete with the top of the line Studer and Ampex machines.

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Because so many people have succumbed to the perils of eBay and have ended up with either a door-stop or having to spend literally thousands of dollars just to have a working machine, much less a machine that sounds decent. Present company included.

This is the biggest roadblock for most folks trying to get into tape, tech support. This deck, the UHA, comes with tech support, warranty, spare parts and can compete with the top of the line Studer and Ampex machines.

Bruce,

Excellent response! I think we are on the same page with your comments above. I see it as an advantage for the UHA deck. Your line of thinking on this mirrors my thoughts as well.

I asked the question because I've seen, in the past, references that seem to me on the surface to cast the deck as not worthy of top of the line which I think is somewhat misleading.

From a pure performance perspective, I have not observed anything that would lead me to believe this unit can't stand with anything else (tape/pre combo) around. Of course, I see preference as something different and the prerogative of each individual.

Dre

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Bruce,

Excellent response! I think we are on the same page with your comments above. I see it as an advantage for the UHA deck. Your line of thinking on this mirrors my thoughts as well.

I asked the question because I've seen, in the past, references that seem to me on the surface to cast the deck as not worthy of top of the line which I think is somewhat misleading.

From a pure performance perspective, I have not observed anything that would lead me to believe this unit can't stand with anything else (tape/pre combo) around. Of course, I see preference as something different and the prerogative of each individual.

Dre

If you go back to the tape seminar we ran at Axpona (think it's on Peter's site), we discussed the pro and cons, particularly as Bruce pointed out, about getting a machine that becomes a monetary black hole.

Last edited:

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
That is why I decided to sell the Nagra and retained the EAR all-in-one RtR!

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Peter what other tape decks was the UHA compared to?

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I've wondered how the UHA deck compares to the J-Corder decks at a fraction of the price. Further, did I understand Peter to say that the UHA deck only runs at 15 ips?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
If you go back to the tape seminar we ran at Axpona (think it's on Peter's site), we discussed the pro and cons, particularly as Bruce pointed out, about getting a machine that becomes a monetary black hole.

Good point, Myles. However, for $17K ( the price of this UHA), that black hole has to be pretty deep. IMHO, one can get an AWFUL lot of repairs and mods done for that kind of money.
The UHA machines are great, but so are the prices:(

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Good point, Myles. However, for $17K ( the price of this UHA), that black hole has to be pretty deep. IMHO, one can get an AWFUL lot of repairs and mods done for that kind of money.
The UHA machines are great, but so are the prices:(

That of course for Greg's very top-of-the-line deck; an entry level, PB only deck will set you back $8900. I'm sure that deck is no slouch :)

http://unitedhomeaudio.com/prices_and_features.htm

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I've wondered how the UHA deck compares to the J-Corder decks at a fraction of the price. Further, did I understand Peter to say that the UHA deck only runs at 15 ips?

Build wise, there's no comparison. As I recall, Jeff does some work as an option on the record side to give the deck more headroom but otherwise (and correct me if I'm wrong), he basically goes over each deck with a fine tooth comb, greases and replaces parts as needed and makes sure each machine meets spec. That's for the entry level J-corder and then of course, you get the souped up versions as you pay more. In fact, mine came from Jeff and then sent it to Dan at BH to mod it and then Charlie King did his voodoo to bring it up to the level it's at now. Also, Ki had one of Jeff's decks and perhaps can add more.

Greg's on the other hand, are completely rebuilt from the wiring to the electronics to the power supply to the heads, etc. In all reality, you are getting a new deck. In fact, maybe what would be made today if decks were being made today.

I think the 15 ips only option only applies to UHA's top-of-line deck. As I understand it, Greg optimizes for today's tapes and that also includes only a choice of IEC EQ.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Just an hour ago I received a call from a friend who saw the A820 on eBay going for $7k. I wouldn't touch this with a 10 foot pole. Not an A820. It's too complicated and you'll be spending a "minimum" of $5k to get it in decent condition. There are too many parts and logic circuits that can go wrong. Hell, I had a friend I helped change out motors to get them serviced at Athan.... the deck is still not working.
I told my friend if he wanted to get into a big Studer, get a A80RC Mk II. With 3 or 4 tools, you can completely disassemble it in about 30min.

I'm telling you people, if you want to get into tape, the UHA is the way to go!

Last edited:

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com
Build wise, there's no comparison. As I recall, Jeff does some work as an option on the record side to give the deck more headroom but otherwise (and correct me if I'm wrong), he basically goes over each deck with a fine tooth comb, greases and replaces parts as needed and makes sure each machine meets spec. That's for the entry level J-corder and then of course, you get the souped up versions as you pay more. In fact, mine came from Jeff and then sent it to Dan at BH to mod it and then Charlie King did his voodoo to bring it up to the level it's at now. Also, Ki had one of Jeff's decks and perhaps can add more.

Greg's on the other hand, are completely rebuilt from the wiring to the electronics to the power supply to the heads, etc. In all reality, you are getting a new deck. In fact, maybe what would be made today if decks were being made today.

I think the 15 ips only option only applies to UHA's top-of-line deck. As I understand it, Greg optimizes for today's tapes and that also includes only a choice of IEC EQ.

That is the direction I went in as well. I purchased a fully restored Technics 1500 from Jeff, sent it to Bottlehead for their mods including the disable of all the stock electronics, adding ceramic tape guides and other optimizations for the Tape Project. Then I took the output from the Technics into one of Charles King's King/Cello tape head pre.

I am a charter subscriber to the Tape Project, and I also get tapes from Yarlung and UltraAnalogue as well. I also was lucky enough to stumple into a cache of 7 1/2 ips RCA and Mercury tapes that are still in pretty good shape some 50 years on. As good as a well setup LP rig is, if you have the where-with-all to make the jump, tapes are an other-worldly experience

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
What Joe said!

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
That is the direction I went in as well. I purchased a fully restored Technics 1500 from Jeff, sent it to Bottlehead for their mods including the disable of all the stock electronics, adding ceramic tape guides and other optimizations for the Tape Project. Then I took the output from the Technics into one of Charles King's King/Cello tape head pre.

I am a charter subscriber to the Tape Project, and I also get tapes from Yarlung and UltraAnalogue as well. I also was lucky enough to stumple into a cache of 7 1/2 ips RCA and Mercury tapes that are still in pretty good shape some 50 years on. As good as a well setup LP rig is, if you have the where-with-all to make the jump, tapes are an other-worldly experience

If you don't mind me asking, what was the total hit on your checkbook after all was said and done? Just trying to get some perspective with regards to the UHA deck. Thanks.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
If you don't mind me asking, what was the total hit on your checkbook after all was said and done? Just trying to get some perspective with regards to the UHA deck. Thanks.

The UHA decks are Tascam BR-20 machines.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing