Smilies!

Ethan Winer

Banned
Jul 8, 2010
New Milford, CT
Hey, we need more, and better, smilies here! This place seems to have a ton of them with no restrictions:

http://www.smileyvault.com/

I know I can link to external smilies manually, but it'd be great if the forum had more built in to the software. Even having clear good-looking versions of just the basic happy, sad, and roll-eyes smilies would be a nice addition, though sometimes there's no substitute for a good face-palm:

Here two other favorites that are surprisingly useful:

--Ethan

Ethan Winer

Banned
Jul 8, 2010
New Milford, CT
We looked into it as we set up the forum. It is doable to import the smilies but we don't want it to be a hodge podge of emoticons

I agree, and that's why I listed only a few basics. You actually have all the basic types now, but (IMO) they're not very clear and I have to squint to tell if it's smiling or frowning.

--Ethan

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
You're right that they aren't very clear. You should have seen them before we doctored them for the site. These are the generic ones with the program. We tried to make them easier tom read but we did the best. Give me a bit to look into it.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Didn't somone write an article about real men not using emoticons? I think the same article said that real men didn't use multiple exclamation points in tandem to end every sentence either.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Didn't somone write an article about real men not using emoticons? I think the same article said that real men didn't use multiple exclamation points in tandem to end every sentence either.

I wonder what the article has to say about someone who uses a lot of @@@ha!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Just a thought!

We looked into it as we set up the forum. It is doable to import the smilies but we don't want it to be a hodge podge of emoticons

Hi Steve,

I fully agree with you on this, this site should have the accent on quality words of information and highway sharing.

The only thing I find is this: From the dozen of emoticons present right now (which is sufficiant in my opinion, or perhaps up to 20 max or so) is that the only ones that are nice (clear to see) are this one: :) and then they start to be squarish (octogonal), but still seeable like these two: :D :cool:

And after that the rest aren't clear enough, so I don't like to use them; and it is sad because some of them are important. :(
...I much prefer the round ones type; and right now you only have one! :)

No biggie, just what I think, as a graphic design artist.

* At least the ones to put on your title are rounds (real circles), and I prefer their shape to the ones that are for your posts). Anyway, right now there is only one smiley that is useful from them all, and just clear enough in my book, and that is this one: :)
After that it would be those two (borderline): :D :cool:
And then: NONE!

Cheers

P.S. I can tell that Ethan likes to use his good humor to good use... ...I'm all in! :)

Last edited:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I wish you would remove all emoticons. I find them silly and lately have not appreciated seeing a smiley face at the end of a sentence that was anything but smiley in nature. Some people can't make it through a single post without having emoticons posted. Obviously it floats lots of boats around here though so I guess we need more of them for people to choose from in order to really dress up posts and help make their points.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I wish you would remove all emoticons. I find them silly and lately have not appreciated seeing a smiley face at the end of a sentence that was anything but smiley in nature. Some people can't make it through a single post without having emoticons posted. Obviously it floats lots of boats around here though so I guess we need more of them for people to choose from in order to really dress up posts and help make their points.

Hi Mep,

To be totally honest with you, I can live without them! No problem at all, even good in a sense.
But!, if we are going to have few (and I believe we will because it is always the preference of the majority of members in almost any Forums of the Internet, and for a very good and valid reason as you don't see your interlocutor, and that it helps tremendously at deciphering his exact mood when you don't know nothing about him or her), then might is well to have some that are clear to see. I think!

So it does help a lot at the beginning of your newer acquaintances, and as you go and know more that person, then the emoticons that are there at your personal disposition for those speacial circumstances, became less frequently used to not at all with certain members.

But I do love them once in a while to set a good tone and to be reminded of that got tone, which is a token of our appreciation of others, or communication with a good sense of humor, and also an expression of satisfaction for the hobby we love so much with the Music of the Artist at its basic foundation.

Language is words, paintings, graphics, pictures, music, and all that Jazz. And that language is universal. See, no emoticons at all were used in this post during my typing and addressing my reply (honest opinion) directly to you.

Regards,

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing