Anyone have experience with Classic Records test pressings?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I'm wondering if test pressings of the 45 RPM Classic Records are regarded as better, same or worse than the production versions. Anyone know?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I have a couple of test pressings in my collection and think highly of them. Do they sound better or worse than the regular production LPs? I don't know.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Many test pressings are simply failures. I have numerous test pressings from my recording engineer friends, some are wonderful and much better than the production LPs, others have flaws, some are much worse than the production LPs. The test pressing from which they approved the master for production tend to be the best.

You have to look at the record production process and make a judgement for yourself. A lot of years ago (my pre-Genesis days), I had a lot more money than time or sense and had someone buy me a batch of test pressings. They cost a lot, and sound quite a bit better than production ones. I've had friends here in Seattle hear my test pressings, find another one online, and discover that my copy is far better than theirs, and even the production copy is better than the test.

You have to ask whether it's a real test pressing, or simply more early copies made and then sold as test pressings?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Thanks for the replies. I want to get a copy of the LSC Bartok's Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta on 45RPM and I think I'll take a chance on a test pressing and see what happens (test pressing is cheaper than buying a sealed production version).

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Many test pressings are simply failures. I have numerous test pressings from my recording engineer friends, some are wonderful and much better than the production LPs, others have flaws, some are much worse than the production LPs. The test pressing from which they approved the master for production tend to be the best.

You have to look at the record production process and make a judgement for yourself. A lot of years ago (my pre-Genesis days), I had a lot more money than time or sense and had someone buy me a batch of test pressings. They cost a lot, and sound quite a bit better than production ones. I've had friends here in Seattle hear my test pressings, find another one online, and discover that my copy is far better than theirs, and even the production copy is better than the test.

You have to ask whether it's a real test pressing, or simply more early copies made and then sold as test pressings?

I think it all depends upon how and why the test pressings were made. Traditionally, test pressing were made for one thing: to allow the record label to listen to the LP for any mastering flaws eg. grooves are properly formed eg no groove narrowing, off center pressing, etc. After checking, they are often destroyed. Test pressings are often made whenever the press was free so that could have been before they started up the first run of the day and the press hadn't reached proper temperature or between runs, etc. So obviously the test pressings are variable. I've some say from Decca that were really noisy, others that were great.

Now as far as Classic Records goes, I assume, because these test pressings were often given out to reviewers, etc, that their test pressings were made just like an actual production release eg. after the machines were properly warmed-up and ready to go. Accordingly, theoretically, Classic Records' test pressings were the first off the press and when the mother was at its freshest. Just as in many cases, the earlier the stamper/matrix number, the same goes for pressing. The earlier off the press, the better the sound.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I'm wondering if test pressings of the 45 RPM Classic Records are regarded as better, same or worse than the production versions. Anyone know?

My experience has been very good. I probably have 30, 45 rpm RCA Living Stereo issues (Classic Records), some jazz and close to 100 or so of 33 rpm...jazz, rock and classical. If there isn't a pressing issue they sound a bit better (Clarity and noise floor) obviously done with a much newer stamper. I have a few though with some noise (too many ticks) where I have replaced with the production version. I only have RTI Classic Records test presses.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Now as far as Classic Records goes, I assume, because these test pressings were often given out to reviewers, etc, that their test pressings were made just like an actual production release eg. after the machines were properly warmed-up and ready to go. Accordingly, theoretically, Classic Records' test pressings were the first off the press and when the mother was at its freshest. Just as in many cases, the earlier the stamper/matrix number, the same goes for pressing. The earlier off the press, the better the sound.

I suspect this is the situation in my case because the test pressings are sealed.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
My experience has been very good. I probably have 30, 45 rpm RCA Living Stereo issues (Classic Records), some jazz and close to 100 or so of 33 rpm...jazz, rock and classical. If there isn't a pressing issue they sound a bit better (Clarity and noise floor) obviously done with a much newer stamper. I have a few though with some noise (too many ticks) where I have replaced with the production version. I only have RTI Classic Records test presses.

Thanks, Christian. I'm really getting sucked in to these RCA LS 45's; the ones I've heard so far sound great.

Slightly off topic: anyone know if the Heifetz road case is good from a pressing standpoint? I see that it's the 200g version of CR's 45 RPM releases and I know that as time progressed the 200g pressings got worse and worse.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Slightly off topic: anyone know if the Heifetz road case is good from a pressing standpoint? I see that it's the 200g version of CR's 45 RPM releases and I know that as time progressed the 200g pressings got worse and worse.

I have all those records but bought individually. While the older 180's give you a better chance of a perfectly quiet pressing, you can still get quality pressing with 200 gram. I just find the pressings not as perfect pop wise more often.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I have all those records but bought individually. While the older 180's give you a better chance of a perfectly quiet pressing, you can still get quality pressing with 200 gram. I just find the pressings not as perfect pop wise more often.

Much appreciated, Christian.

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012

I'm about halfway through my Heifetz case. They play very quietly. No problems on my end.

Dre

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing