Boulder 2110 Series

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
...I still miss my boulder amp , it sets the standard in gorgeous built audio equipment imo :D it sounds damn good to .
Although the zanden gives extraordinairy bass , the supercontrolled Boulder 1060 couldnt be beat with electronic music , the best Trance/ house music amp i ve ever listened too...

Interesting comments about Zanden v Boulder on bass...in one sense I am not surprised having spent time with 9600 monos and the Boulder 2060 some time ago. That said, how do you isolate your Zanden? The reason I ask is that isolating each tube, plus isolating each component underneath and mass damping on top made a HUGE difference to my Zanden 4-box digital...huge. The bass on the Zanden is a bit weak in the worst circumstances...beef up the PSU tubes to Mullard NOS, add brass tube rings with silicone, and then put each box in an isolation sandwich (on top and underneath)...and the bass quite comfortably surpassed (for me) a specially modified Esoteric X-01SE and an Audio Aero La Source (also Esoteric transports) when playing full-out deep house/electronic...specifically in its ability to produce pure propulsive but tight gut-punching bass. Needless to say, I am extremely happy and 'done'. It took 3 years of getting to know the Zanden to get there...and I wonder if their amps would react to such isolation in a similar way.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I understand that things can improve by switching tubes for example , i merely meant as i stated also in my system thread some time ago , that tube bass isnt optimally suited for those kinds of music imo , other way around the boulder cant match the zanden on accoustical reproduced music , ideally you need both .
Regarding system tweaking , i dont have the time for it , i leave that to audiophiles :D
Tweaking a cd player on a otherwise ss power amplified system as yours is is not the same as tweaking a tube power amp , imo you never get to the point where the system will be on the ultra short leash as with a Boulder SS amp for example

But .... the most controlled gut thumping basssounds i ever heard was on a Halcro Monoblock system Dm 68 i think , Marklevinson 32 preamp and Maxx 2 loudspeakers

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I understand that things can improve by switching tubes for example , i merely meant as i stated also in my system thread some time ago , that tube bass isnt optimally suited for those kinds of music imo , other way around the boulder cant match the zanden on accoustical reproduced music , ideally you need both .
Regarding system tweaking , i dont have the time for it , i leave that to audiophiles :D
Tweaking a cd player on a otherwise ss power amplified system as yours is is not the same as tweaking a tube power amp , imo you never get to the point where the system will be on the ultra short leash as with a Boulder SS amp for example

But .... the most controlled gut thumping basssounds i ever heard was on a Halcro Monoblock system Dm 68 i think , Marklevinson 32 preamp and Maxx 2 loudspeakers

very interesting...after a lot of long, long consideration on super-powerful tube amps...I created a whole long thread on AGon years ago on it...I ended up with Zanden digital, CJ tube preamp...and Class A SS amp...I suppose for reasons that included your description above.

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
wizard-highend.blogspot.com
From Boulder.

"We have just finished listening to the new 2120 D/A Converter for the last time before it goes to Las Vegas for the 2015 CES.
Absolutely amazing. The most control we've ever heard from a source component...."

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
From Boulder.

"We have just finished listening to the new 2120 D/A Converter for the last time before it goes to Las Vegas for the 2015 CES.
Absolutely amazing. The most control we've ever heard from a source component...."

I have heard EXCELLENT things about their D/A equipment from people who have really lived with it.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
From Boulder.

How much are they asking for it?

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
wizard-highend.blogspot.com
From Boulder:

"No printed information yet, since we want to keep the appearance a secret until the 2120 is revealed on Tuesday morning. Also, since it's still a prototype, we don't have any finished product measurements or specs, however I'll be posting info about the features here on Tuesday morning as soon as CES begins."

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks Wizard

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Nice , if i had plenty of loose cash this would be the digital i would buy, but i want a transport for dvd /blu ray as well

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

MasterChief

Jun 26, 2012
Sweden
I really don't understand the reason behind the new Boulder dacs display. Why have that kind of gigantic display that is stills not readable from listening distance? An iPad app is so much more practical than combining a tv with a dac. That was cool five years ago.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
the Mark Levinson No.40 killed the 'old' Mark Levinson as a company because it sucked so much development capital and had so many bugs and delayed time to market and the warp speed of the video market change nailed the coffin shut.

even though i'm not a Boulder customer I respect it's products and like it as a high end company and hope that it's focus on these type products does not harm it. leave interface ingenuity to the mass market companies where volume of sales can cover the costs.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Expected price is $60k.

Whew! That better last a long time for that...digital has occassionally shown a short shelf life in certain ways (mainly format...which may/may not apply here 5 yrs from now).

...Oh and I hope it sounds awesome for that. ;). I have heard the much older 2000 DAC but it was not on a system I knew well...certainly excellent resolution.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing