Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: iTunes or Looney Tunes? The great music server debate.

Site Founder And Administrator Steve Williams's Avatar
    Coto De Caza, California on the 13th fairway of the south golf course
    IMHO the ipad makes for the best controller
    Steve Williams
    aka oneobgyn
    There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams BUT there's only "oneobgyn"
    USA Dealer of Center Stage Feet and owner of PitchPerfect Sound (www.pitchperfectsound.com)
    Dealer Lamm Electronics
    My System

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Phelonious Ponk View Post
    The use of my iPod Touch as a graphic, fully-interactive remote control alone is worth the price of admission!
    Same ticket gets you admitted to both camps . Software exists for iTouch/iPad/iPhone to control PC apps just the same. Here is a version for J River: http://melloware.com/products/rivermote/

Your other points were mostly addressed by others. I will just add one more: the fear of putting together a PC in a thread where we are discussing how to put together a music server seems odd to me. Either you are afraid of computers or you are not. If you are afraid, then you should get a black box music server such as Meridian's Soolos. Putting together a PC these days is dead simple. If you played with legos when you were little, you can do the same with a PC. The motherboard has every peripheral you can think of. So there is nothing to plug-in. Get an Intel board and you are assured of high-quality drivers, most if not all of which is in Win7 install disc. Places like Newegg.com will sell you complete kit if you don't want to figure out which memory and CPU go together. The rest is just plugging in a Sata and power cable and you are golden.

Putting together a PC will teach you a lot about what is under the hood and what it can or cannot do. Forums like this can walk you through it the first time. Once there, the sense of accomplishment is quite high -- quite a bit higher than buying a shrink-wrapped Mac. On that topic, let's not pretend that the only way to get a Windows PC is to build one. Units from HP and Dell come prebuilt and pretested and if you get the versions without bloatware, then you are good to go without learning a thing. Turn them on and the thing works. Their extensive build to order process lets you customize your PC to a huge extent.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Williams View Post
    IMHO the ipad makes for the best controller
    Not quite Steve. Having to wake up the unit to control something takes too long -- much longer than picking up a remote and using it. Until OS 4.0 comes to the Mac with multi-tasking ability to let multiple things run without losing their network connection, it is not suitable for simple things like changing volume or TV channels. For scenarios that could take longer, such as searching for what to play, it is a fine choice. But for interactive stuff, it is not.

You also have a problem if you try to share the device. With your TV remote, it is always there. With an Ipad which could "walk" to the bedroom/den, etc. you wind up having the issue of, "where the iPad?" A $10 device can be left around with ease.

Mind you, I think the development of such tablet is a great thing but Apple has really crippled this capability with an OS whose current capabilities are akin to computers of 20 years ago! I am looking forward to Android based tablets which should give us the freedom to do as we please with the tablet.

Come this fall when OS 4.0 becomes available for ipad would be the time to revisit this issue.

Site Founder And Administrator Steve Williams's Avatar
    Coto De Caza, California on the 13th fairway of the south golf course
    Amir

The ipad is instant on. I promise it isnt sleeping. As to where it will reside. Always in my listening room.
    Steve Williams
    aka oneobgyn
    There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams BUT there's only "oneobgyn"
    USA Dealer of Center Stage Feet and owner of PitchPerfect Sound (www.pitchperfectsound.com)
    Dealer Lamm Electronics
    My System

Quote Originally Posted by amirm View Post
    Same ticket gets you admitted to both camps . Software exists for iTouch/iPad/iPhone to control PC apps just the same. Here is a version for J River: http://melloware.com/products/rivermote/

Your other points were mostly addressed by others. I will just add one more: the fear of putting together a PC in a thread where we are discussing how to put together a music server seems odd to me. Either you are afraid of computers or you are not. If you are afraid, then you should get a black box music server such as Meridian's Soolos. Putting together a PC these days is dead simple. If you played with legos when you were little, you can do the same with a PC. The motherboard has every peripheral you can think of. So there is nothing to plug-in. Get an Intel board and you are assured of high-quality drivers, most if not all of which is in Win7 install disc. Places like Newegg.com will sell you complete kit if you don't want to figure out which memory and CPU go together. The rest is just plugging in a Sata and power cable and you are golden.

Putting together a PC will teach you a lot about what is under the hood and what it can or cannot do. Forums like this can walk you through it the first time. Once there, the sense of accomplishment is quite high -- quite a bit higher than buying a shrink-wrapped Mac. On that topic, let's not pretend that the only way to get a Windows PC is to build one. Units from HP and Dell come prebuilt and pretested and if you get the versions without bloatware, then you are good to go without learning a thing. Turn them on and the thing works. Their extensive build to order process lets you customize your PC to a huge extent.
    It's not fear of plugging hardware together, Amir. I have multiple external drives, a digital transport, two audio systems with separate DACs, etc, etc. It is...and I completely understand that this probably sounds paranoid and may be totally out of touch with the current environment...fear of doing anything to a Windows PC that is running well. Again, it's probably not a problem anymore, but consumer loyalty is a funny thing; it's easy to lose and almost impossible to earn back. I spent more than a business day, a bunch of phone time and a couple of downloads once trying to get a a wireless router to share an internet connection in an office with just 3 PCs. In the wonderfully closed Apple universe, I bought an Airport Extreme, plugged in my network hard drive and printer, booted the Mac, said "yes" twice, and have been running perfectly ever since.

Fool me once...

P

Banned
    The problem usually lies in the routers in your example. They take a reference design by the chip manufacturer and spit them out as fast as they possibly can with very little testing. Yet if anything needs testing for a long time, it is a network device. As an aside, those routers most run Linux, cousin of the Mach Unix where OSX came from .

Quote Originally Posted by amirm View Post
    The problem usually lies in the routers in your example. They take a reference design by the chip manufacturer and spit them out as fast as they possibly can with very little testing. Yet if anything needs testing for a long time, it is a network device. As an aside, those routers most run Linux, cousin of the Mach Unix where OSX came from .
    I'm sure you're right. The point is this stuff doesn't happen in the Apple world, or at least it hasn't happened to me. And when you have Apple computer + Apple router = perfect integration. That horrible closed system thing.

P

Banned
    Which is what we have all been saying all along. If your needs are met by what Apple wants you to have, then you are good to go. But if business interests of Apple don't align with your personal needs, then you need to look elsewhere. I am not going to let Apple dictate what hardware, software or formats I use. For me, that is what "greatness" should mean in the title of this debate: no limits imposed by a commercial maker of hardware. I want to learn about something and be able go and try it, not be hit in the face that such and such doesn't run on the Mac. Or that Apple hasn't yet managed to integrate that hardware.

If we were talking mass consumers, I wouldn't debate you at all that they are served fine by Apple. They want simplicity over capability. But for this forum, and for people striving to learn how to maximize what they can do, Apple's tight rules are a constrained many of us rather than have.

Apple router

Quote Originally Posted by Phelonious Ponk View Post
    I'm sure you're right. The point is this stuff doesn't happen in the Apple world, or at least it hasn't happened to me. And when you have Apple computer + Apple router = perfect integration. That horrible closed system thing.
    P
    Wifi routers are pretty cheap. Not a good item to buy on impulse without adequate thought and research.

No reason a Windows PC owner can't buy and use an Apple router. I did. It has been reliable but it is missing some important firewall features. (I have a good firewall ahead of the Apple router. If I needed the firewall features, the Apple router would have been a non-starter.) The Apple s/w used to control the router announces that the Apple router has a problem and downloads a firmware upgrade. Then the upgrade fails. I just go on using the old firmware.

I'd rate the Apple router as a successful purchase but not really up to the Apple hype.

Bill

[WBF Founding Member] Moderator RBFC's Avatar
    This has been a great discussion so far, guys! I'm starting to learn something!

Lee

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast