Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 79

Thread: iTunes or Looney Tunes? The great music server debate.

  1. #11
    [WBF Founding Member] Moderator RBFC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    5,057
    I have read that Airport Express does not wirelessly transmit files in greater than 44.1 KHz samples, thus rendering high-res files useless in that application? True, or False?

    Lee

  2. #12
    [WBF Founding Member] Moderator RBFC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    5,057
    Also, which system (PC or Mac) is less prone to loss of function when used as a server? I know that PCs are affected by far more viruses, etc., but does that apply to this usage?

    Lee

  3. #13
    [WBF Founding Member]
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    San Francisco - East Bay
    Posts
    308
    Quote Originally Posted by RBFC View Post
    I have read that Airport Express does not wirelessly transmit files in greater than 44.1 KHz samples, thus rendering high-res files useless in that application? True, or False?

    Lee
    That's true Lee. But I don't have any hi-res digital files and if I did I would use something other than Itunes.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by RBFC View Post
    I have read that Airport Express does not wirelessly transmit files in greater than 44.1 KHz samples, thus rendering high-res files useless in that application? True, or False?

    Lee
    True. I only have a very few hi-res files. They're really not worth the inconvenience to me.

    P

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by RBFC View Post
    Also, which system (PC or Mac) is less prone to loss of function when used as a server? I know that PCs are affected by far more viruses, etc., but does that apply to this usage?

    Lee
    I'm not sure what you mean. Use as a music server is not particularly resource-intensive. I don't think it stresses the system more than any other multi-tasking.

    P

  6. #16
    [WBF Founding Member] Moderator RBFC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    5,057
    As I understand it, PC-based machines are more prone to crashes, etc. than Macs. As I'm not that versed in computers, I would ask this to those that have more experience.

    Keeping the thread warm for Amir....


    Lee

  7. #17
    Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Johnny Vinyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    8,561
    An upgrade to Win7 may solve that problem for you! I can't compare it to a Mac, but my newish DELL has had no issues with crashes.
    I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
    John Adrian Spijkers - "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
    Dynavector DV20x2L - Genesis G7.1f - Marantz Reference PM KI Pearl - Nitty Gritty 2.5Fi - Oracle Paris Mk.V

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by RBFC View Post
    As I understand it, PC-based machines are more prone to crashes, etc. than Macs. As I'm not that versed in computers, I would ask this to those that have more experience.

    Keeping the thread warm for Amir....


    Lee
    I don't have enough experience with 7 to judge yet, but my past experience with 98 and XP tells me that OSX is more stable. But if you just shut down the PC at night and re-started every morning it took care of 90% of the issues. Really, though, the difference is maintenance. PCs need it or they slow down over time. Macs don't. My iBook ran for 5 years, constantly hooked up to the internet, often left on for weeks at a time without re-booting. No firewall. No virus protection. No utilities. I never de-fragged the hard drive. I never un-installed and re-installed anything. I just ran my music collection and my business on it -- Safari, Mail, Quickbooks, Office, iTunes, etc. -- day in and day out for 5 years until something in the power function was becoming unreliable and I deemed it time to replace it. When I did, it wasn't running noticeably slower than it did when new.

    But this is not a Mac vs. PC debate. It's a discussion of how to set up a computer based music server, and that can be done quite effectively on a PC, I just need someone to fill in those blanks as I have never done that myself. If there is anything controversial, debatable here, it is the audibility of different computer audio playback software, and the value of "optimizing" computer systems for audio. There are plenty out there in the world of computer audio who disagree with my positions on these two issues.

    P

    P

  9. #19
    Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] rblnr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    NYC/NJ
    Posts
    1,833
    I use iTunes as well. Also Squeezebox Server which can directly access the iTunes library and stream 24/96. The Squeezebox Touch can output 24/96 to a DAC via s/pdif. W/the iPhone/iPad control, I can't fathom why anyone would want to pay several thousand dollars for some of the other streaming systems out there. A Sooloos salesman once told me that the great thing is that they backup automatically. Think I'll save the cash and handle that myself.

    I'm a hardcore Mac guy and try to avoid PCs whenever possible. Part of it is familiarity, the other is that they seem (or were, haven't used 7) clumsy to use, were rarely plug 'n play with anything, and throw popups at you constantly. A PITA vs. Mac.

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by rblnr View Post
    I use iTunes as well. Also Squeezebox Server which can directly access the iTunes library and stream 24/96. The Squeezebox Touch can output 24/96 to a DAC via s/pdif. W/the iPhone/iPad control, I can't fathom why anyone would want to pay several thousand dollars for some of the other streaming systems out there. A Sooloos salesman once told me that the great thing is that they backup automatically. Think I'll save the cash and handle that myself.

    I'm a hardcore Mac guy and try to avoid PCs whenever possible. Part of it is familiarity, the other is that they seem (or were, haven't used 7) clumsy to use, were rarely plug 'n play with anything, and throw popups at you constantly. A PITA vs. Mac.
    Time Machine will back up automatically in OSX, so that's not an advantage. Systems like Sooloos and Sonos allow zones, so you can be playing different content in different rooms. iTunes doesn't have that capability. Yet.

    P

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Music Server Project
    By PNWAS in forum The Pacific Northwest Audio Society Forum
    Replies: 195
    Last Post: 04-02-2012, 11:32 AM
  2. Music Server my way
    By Wardsweb in forum Computer Based Music Server Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-22-2011, 07:16 PM
  3. New Classical Music Server
    By RBFC in forum Computer Based Music Server Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-31-2011, 10:18 PM
  4. The Great Cable Debate
    By Steve Williams in forum General Audio Forum
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 07-24-2010, 04:38 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •