New Electrostatic Speaker

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Interesting how they call them full range when they only go down to 80 hz.

That was one thought I had not to mention they need a lotta, lotta power seeing they are only 83 dB efficient. And they still present a somewhat difficult load esp. with the types of gear you might use with a $3K speaker. Highly unlikely going to use a receiver.

But yes, as is often the case, you are left trying to match a sub to the speaker. I don't believe for one minute that one won't as claimed in the literature, miss the bottom end. And there's a lot in the PR that raises one eyebrows.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
The advert copy is... interesting. From the pictures, it appears to use a number of narrrow, tall panels to create the single large area. Compared with something like ML's EFX it appears lacking in most ways but the panels do reach down to 80 Hz compared to 530 Hz for the EFX (for the panel; the EFX claims 68 Hz with the built-in woofer). I agree that is not normally considered "full-range", and personally I would like to see the -3 dB point at least a half-octave lower (60 Hz) to provide a little margin at the crossover point. At 84 dB/W/m at 150 W max that is about 100 dB for a pair 10 feet away, loud enough for most but on the low side (sensitivity and power handling) compared to the competitors I quickly perused. At $4k - $5k'ish they seem to be at a good price point...

Here is the link to the actual speaker manufacturer: http://www.crescendo-systems.com/ They have several audio products in addition to the speakers, power amps, a bass management module (with on;ly 12 dB/oct slope? hmmm...), etc. I find their product mix kinda' different:

Apart from our distinctive audio products, Crescendo Systems also has a line of video products like our VGA to Component transcoders and our Component to VGA reverse transcoders including the RTC2220 with adjustable gamma. A new addition to the family is the BUF2000, a video buffer amplifier with adjustable gamma correction.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Initial reaction provokes thoughts of Sound Lab and Martin Logan...at least in appearance.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Initial reaction provokes thoughts of Sound Lab and Martin Logan...at least in appearance.

I was thinking more like old Accoustats.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing