Premium Nortronics Playback Heads

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area

Good Saturday afternoon all,

:) I would love to hear from anyone who has had experience or using Nortronics tape heads, particularly, playback heads. I had no idea Nortronics made so many different tape heads and I have gotten the Nortronics catalog but only noted listings of Nortronics heads that could fit different tape decks. I could not find any specs regarding output, etc. Is there another listing I could source that would give me more information? Thanks for any and all input and information. :)

Jazzbo

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Ask Charlie King aka Stellavox. He installed them into my Technics deck and the Nortronics ran rings around the stock heads especially in the low end, noise floor/transparency and resolution.

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
Good afternoon Mr. Astor,
I appreciate your quick response. I know Mr. King is a regular on this site so hope he chimes in as he has the opportunity. I am more than happy to hear of your experience with Nortronic heads. It would appear that these heads are indeed "high quality" which is what I am looking for. Your experience pleases me.

jazzbo

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Probably one of the best nos head you can buy save for the JRF heads. I have nortronics repro in my Technics 1500, JRF in my Studer A810 and will have JRF in my A80 RC2 when it comes back from a restoration.

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
Good evening Rockitman,

What a joy to hear from another user of Nortronic tape heads. This is getting more exciting by the posts :D. I have decided to replace the original TEAC playback head on my Tascam 42B tape deck with 400mHy premium laminated Nortronics. My tape deck will be modified with cables running directly from the playback head terminated in RCA plugs. Thank you so much for this additional information. :)

jazzbo Bob

CosmoT

Nov 29, 2012
Northeast Massachusetts
The "Professional Replacement Tape Head Guide" from Nortronics that pops up in most searches actually does have extensive info on a full range of heads if you read through towards the end. There are other publications from Nortronics that deal more specifically with their different ranges. Generally the 8000 or 9000 series when you find them are the ones to chase down depending on your need. Professional and Studio series.

I have Nortronics in a Lyrec Frida and I'm quite happy.

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
Good Saturday Evening CosmoT,

I really appreciate your response. I will be in touch with Mr. John French on Monday when he returns from vacation to look further into obtaining a Nortronic playback head for my Tascam. I understand that the Nortronic heads are not a direct fit and a nesting shoe must be constructed. It should then fit nicely on my head block. I am sure Mr. French can build what I need as well as supply the Nortronic head I require. Thanks again for sharing sir. :)

jazzbo Bob

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing