Switzerland is more than chocolates and cheese (a darTZeel factory tour)

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Glad to see they do make a black model. Much better looking!

Making a $12k Integraded with DAC..... just like Playback Designs..... coincidence? Uses the EA speakers too!.... hmmmmmmmmmmmm...

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I LOOOOVE the gold/red! Seems to be very polarizing though...

I'm on the other pole. This is one piece of gear I would never buy based on aesthetics (along with the champagne colored Marantz stuff the McIntosh retro look). Just give me a boring black box with industrial look. The cutesy design of my MSB DAC is about as much as I can stomach, but only barely.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
I'm on the other pole. This is one piece of gear I would never buy based on aesthetics (along with the champagne colored Marantz stuff the McIntosh retro look). Just give me a boring black box with industrial look. The cutesy design of my MSB DAC is about as much as I can stomach, but only barely.

+1 ;)

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY

I wish the gold Marantz stuff was available here, I love it, and I do like the McIntosh look. I could give up some of the fancy D'Agostino treatments though.

Last edited:

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
The only complaint that I have is he should have saved the money on all that bling and passed the savings on to the consumer.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I personally like the design , it s well made stuff as well , from how many colours can customers choose from , i reckon black /gold also looks great .
I still never heard it yet

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
No mention of the anticipated smaller mono's in the article. Looks like the integrated/DAC, standalone DAC and preamp update are next in line...

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Hahaha It's funny how opinions vary!
I love the darTZeel look, it's even more impressive in person, once you see the build quality.
The MSB, on the other hand, are ugly :) But does the job, and it's small, so I'm not complaining, but it's ugly, and the heatsink fins on the side have to go...
I do agree with Bruce that the cost overhead on having the monobloc casing done in that level of precision/quality adds significantly to the cost. But as Hervé explained to me, when he designed them, he was answering his dealer's wish for "the best". So he spared no expense, even in the casing. That's why I have high hopes for a smaller monobloc, since he could just downsize things a bit, have a simpler case, and produce something substantially cheaper.
After the preamp mk2, comes the 108 mk2. Then, hopefully, the smaller monoblocs.

alexandre

Mar 24, 2012
Maryland
parttimeaudiophile.com
For the record, I love the look. The price, not so much, but I'm led to believe there may be a relationship that holds between the two. :D

Hopefully, Norman will find his way through a few more of these tours for us!!! But I do believe he's going to head out for another round with darTZEEL in a couple of weeks -- I'll forward some of your questions on and have them addressed directly, if you'd like.

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
Any idea if the preamp mk2 will be an upgrade option for preamp mk1 users? Or complete new design/faceplate/casing?

This is something I'm really interested in as well as I'm leaning towards a used pair of the current pre- and stereo power amps.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Any idea if the preamp mk2 will be an upgrade option for preamp mk1 users? Or complete new design/faceplate/casing?

As far as I understand, all current gear can be upgraded to Mk.2 status. I would not doubt if the upgrades are 1 or 2 years away.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
This is something I'm really interested in as well as I'm leaning towards a used pair of the current pre- and stereo power amps.

As soon as the hot summer ends and I can return to tube amplifiers I will put my mint latest version NH108b on sale. ;)

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
As far as I understand, all current gear can be upgraded to Mk.2 status. I would not doubt if the upgrades are 1 or 2 years away.

OK, sounds promising. I would really like to get this confirmed by darTZeel. If Mk.2-versions are on the way, I believe this to be the first time that they'll make an "official upgrade". As I understand it, they've done modifications along the way, which means that a NHB-108 from 2007 will differ from the same unit manufactured in 2012. Correct?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I still think the red and gold is finished to a degree that would make Tony Stark proud.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing