Meridian DSP7200 and DSP8000 speakers

Groucho

Aug 18, 2012
UK
Has anyone heard these speakers? Are they as stunning as I'm expecting them to be?

pers1

Jun 11, 2015
Yes they are great I have the DSP8000SE 40th Anv, DSP7200SE HC, 2 pairs of DSP 7200SE and DSP5200SE I use them in a surround setup.
There is a huge difference between the SE and the standard models

Last edited:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I heard them in a surround config. and thought they were good... but not great.

crion

Oct 29, 2014
I've been a Meridian owner for 11 years now and I actually think they are better than ever.

The new DSP SE range released both as a new model and an upgrade last year is a clear and definitive step up in true to the source performance. This year they will also accept DXD, 4x DSD and ofcourse MQA when run from a compatible MQA capable source like 808.6 or 818.3. For multichannel we are expecting 861v9 taking the channels further to handle immersive audio, release is not announced but we expect years end/1H 2016.

The Sooloos source ID41 is still top notch performance when run from inside the 818, 808 or 861 digital preamps which shows it was designed right from the beginning.

I run a multichannel setup with 861v8, DSP8000SE, DSP7200SEHC, DSP5200SE sides, DSP7200SE rears and listen to music in multichannel and Trifield and 7.1 BD movies. The performance is fantastic. But I also give them the same love that other OCD audiophiles do. I use AQ Diamond RJ45 cables as other people run Odin to their front speakers. I use HRS vibration control sandwiches for components (Nimbus Assembly/DPX plates). I use 2x Shunyata Triton v2/Sigma HC for power delivery on dedicated circuits. In other words, it's not your run-of-the mill dealer setup in an otherwise empty room.

Show them the same love as with a true reference setup and they will perform impressively and reward you with many years of pleasure.

Last edited:

pers1

Jun 11, 2015
Hi Crion
Have the same setup as you with 861V8 ID41, 818V2,HD621, C15, DSP8000 ANV. SE Front, DSP7200HCSE and DSP 7200SE for rears and sides.
What Shunyata Sigma are u using one the Speakers and 861?

PerS

Last edited:

crion

Oct 29, 2014
The 861v8 preamp and BD streamer is using Shunyata Sigma Digital for noise suppression.

All DSP Speakers use Furutech Flux 8ga powercables to the Triton v2's/Sigma HC/Wall.

I'm considering Shunyata Sigma HC for the three front speakers to Triton v2. CGS cables (shunyata chassis ground cables) are also used for frontend components and front DSP speakers to the Triton v2's.

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
A pair of dsp8000's have been parked in my listening room a few weeks now. I moved a pair of usher be-20 dmd's out of the room to accommodate them and I like them. they set the bar for stereo reproduction, width, depth, height all impressive but most of all natural. I'm nick naming them the time machines since I lose hours every time I sit for a listen. mine have the speakerlink update but are before the .2 tweeter change...They make me wonder what speakers that use all this exotic material could sound like if they were all self powered?

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
Even though I’m talking to myself, never know who’s listening. The se upgrade doubles the processing power, allows the speakers to reach 120 dB, are full mqa compatable and come with a 5 or 6 year warranty. If, like me you have a room thats problematic in the bass, but don’t want subs for stereo a pair of these used are worth considering. I didn’t think the salon2 was musical in my room, I loved in the room they were demonstrated but at home the lack of bass made them to clinical. My big ushers were musical but too big. The beethovens just couldn’t play loud. Kanta3 was nice and smooth thru the mids and treble but again in my room there was no bass audible or measured below 80 hz. No bass meaning -20 db or more. I’ve suffered buyers remorse from nearly every pair of speakers I’ve bought because every combination of components and room acoustics changes them. Problem solved!

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
Congrats on the happy purchase. I have listened to dsp8000 and liked it. Have you tried beolab90?

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
Haven't even seen them until just now looking them up. They look like omnipolar speakers, once they've been around awhile and deals can be had maybe i'll give them a try, but tbh the 8k's are doing everything I could have expected out of a pair of speakers and i'm in no hurry to replace them.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I still own a pair of DSP5200SE and used to own the 8Ks. Great speakers and oh so easy to use. If i simplify my system one day that's the way i would go.

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
I was excited about a pair of Vienna Acoustics The Music speakers on ag when these came up and after the last 5 years of trying to assemble a system I was starting to feel like a dog chasing my tail with the component matching and was starting th research brands like ATC and pmc always believing the 8k’s were out of reach. When I considered what I was spending on used quality speakers and amps and not really feeling the results the price of a used clean pair was really in line and by now I was done shopping and just wanted to enjoy the music.
I don’t doubt vinyl lovers consider Bob Stuart the antichrist but thet’re making digital better.

Reactions: howiebrou

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I was excited about a pair of Vienna Acoustics The Music speakers on ag when these came up and after the last 5 years of trying to assemble a system I was starting to feel like a dog chasing my tail with the component matching and was starting th research brands like ATC and pmc always believing the 8k’s were out of reach. When I considered what I was spending on used quality speakers and amps and not really feeling the results the price of a used clean pair was really in line and by now I was done shopping and just wanted to enjoy the music.
I don’t doubt vinyl lovers consider Bob Stuart the antichrist but thet’re making digital better.
With the current price of speakers being frankly silly, the DSP8000s are now looking cheap.

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
There's a used pair of .2's listed for $16k and I got mine for the price of a used pair of salon 2's!!! Although the upgrade was extra.

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
Found the review of the beolab 90, the measurements show quite an excess of bass in the room. No complaints from listeners tho.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing