Low output signal issue. Need help!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I have a friend who posted this on another forum, and I wanted to ask you guys if you know what his problem could potentially be. Any help or words of advice would be most appreciated.

Many who read the title are probably thinking, yes turntables have low outputs. I realize this, but a table I have seems to be a lot lower than normal. Here is the situation. It is a Music Hall MMF5 that had some shipping damage. I decided to fix it up as a project and put it in my 2 channel room. Everything looks good and seems to be working except that the signal level is very low. I have it connected to a Vincent phono stage and to a Jolida integrated. With the Jolida at full volume, I can carry on a normal conversation over the phone with a record playing. I called a couple of places and was told that the phono stage doesn't have a high enough output voltage to drive my integrated. I thought it made perfect sense, but I wasn't 100% convinced so I did some testing of my own. I tried the table out on my other system with the Jolida phono stage which has plenty of gain and the signal was still very quiet. It was a lot louder, but still not normal. I have a MMF 5.1 hooked up to it normally and I don't have to turn the volume as loud as I did with the rebuilt table. I also took my working table and put it in the 2 channel system and it is louder than the rebuilt one with the Vincent and Jolida integrated. I talked to my dealer and he couldn't think of anything off hand.

Thank you,

John

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Probably the cartridge.
A low output moving coil needs more amplification than a high output one.

I think he recognizes that. I think he may have a defective cartridge on his hands or there is something wrong with the tonearm wiring.

John

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
John

we ned him to become a member here :)

I'll point him in our direction!

Goldring 1012GX. I've since learned he has the same cartridge on his other TT. I told him he should switch the cartridges to see if there was any change.

John

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing