Phono stage recommendations

DWR

Jul 26, 2010
Western burbs of Detroit
Ok fellas can some of you give your suggestions/opinions on phono preamps, I am hoping that you can break it down to say $1000 and under,$2000 and under, and over $2000. Thanks in advance.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Under $2000: for older, get one of the CAT preamps from the early 90's, great phono sections, or for newer a used Allnic H 1200. Some of the old CAT's can be had for 1k-ish. For real cheap, get a Yamaha C-70 from the 80's, preferably refurbished, for around $200, wonderful phono section.
Over $2000 is a broad territory, out there you need to hear what you buy, preferably in your own system, taste will determine where you go there.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Under $2000: for older, get one of the CAT preamps from the early 90's, great phono sections, or for newer a used Allnic H 1200. Some of the old CAT's can be had for 1k-ish. For real cheap, get a Yamaha C-70 from the 80's, preferably refurbished, for around $200, wonderful phono section.
Over $2000 is a broad territory, out there you need to hear what you buy, preferably in your own system, taste will determine where you go there.

But I don't remember the CAT working real well with even 0.5 mV output MCs. There were issues with noise and inadequate gain resulting in lost dynamics. So careful cartridge matching is essential.

My friend also had an issue with the volume control being too coarse and not being able to set the volume needed.

One inexpensive phono section worth checking out is Lehman audio. Gain is between 61-66 dB for lower output MCs (it's around 40 dB for MM). Some other circa $1000 phono sections that I haven't heard include the Phonomena phono section from Musical Surroundings and designed by Michael Yee (he has done some nice inexpensive phono sections over the years starting with Monster Cable), Sutherland, Whest and Heed audio.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Not a phono stage per se, but how about an SP-9? If mine is anything to go by, its phono stage is pretty good. Although I've not herad them myself (yet), and ARC PH-3SE might also be your cup of tea.

Jay_S

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
San Francisco - East Bay
I second the SP-9 though many don't like it. With the right tubes (I have vintage Bugle Boys) this preamp will sing. I also like the PH-3SE. Another inexpensive tube choice, and built like a tank, is the Anthem PRE-1.

DWR

Jul 26, 2010
Western burbs of Detroit
I am using a VPI Scoutmaster signature with JMW Memorial 9 arm and a Dynavector Karrat 2D cartridge and a Jolida JD-9A phono pre. I had an Eastern Electric Mini Max phono pre and was not that impressed with it. I have just recently "rebuilt my system from separate 2 ch and H/T to a combination system. The phono pre is one of the pieces I am still looking to upgrade. As for going to another full function preamp no I am not going that route. My CJ PV-14 is going out for major modifications in August and I will be staying with that linestage preamp. I am just trying to get peoples opinions on what is good in the $2000 and under price range. One option is to have the Jolida modified also.

DWR

Jul 26, 2010
Western burbs of Detroit
OK I ended up going with a hand built unit from Aural Thrills, they advertise on audiogon, I looked into Tom's work and decided to give one a try, and I sure am glad I did. This unit is a two piece unit consisting of a tube rectified 274B power supply and the preamp itself using 4 12ax7 tubes. The total price including an Emmision Labs 274B and 4 NOS Bugle Boy 12ax7 tubes was right at $2000. I will write a review after using the unit for a month or so, but right out of the box I am very pleased with what I am hearing.

Attachments

• IMG_9405..JPG
    IMG_9405..JPG
    106 KB · Views: 3,757
  • IMG_9409..JPG
    IMG_9409..JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 3,652
  • IMG_9410..JPG
    IMG_9410..JPG
    170.2 KB · Views: 3,782

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I had a Dynavector Karat 2D before. To fully appreciate the delicacy of its high frequency, you need the Dynavector head amp. Unfortunately, they do not make this head amp anymore. I think it is worth the effort to acquire the head amp if you will keep the Karat.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I'm using a Modwright SWP phono stage which I like a lot. I used a PH3SE from Audio Research for a year and enjoyed that too but I wanted more gain.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
I recently got back into audio/LP collecting after a looong hiatus and needed a phono preamp. The Jasmine LP2.0 SE was recommended by a few people whose ears I trust. they run $520 incl post from China I got a used one on A'gon for $400. this thing rocks! 40 and 70 db of gain 47k for MM and 50/100/250/1000k loading for MC. the sound is superb for the money. Big wide stage, layered depth, plenty of air and palpability - it’s so right in my system. at high gain the s/n is excellent, there’s remarkably little hiss and this thing is 100% discrete using matched JFETS. My point of reference are the phono sections in klyne sk5a, CJ PV-9, ARC Sp-14 (ol' skool)

Rob

Hxt1

Nov 28, 2011
Vancouver B.C.
Wow, I've always wanted to check out one of the Aural Thrills units... I went for the Bottlehead Eros, and coming from the seduction, I must say I am very happy with it.
I'm looking at the Jasmine units as well... my new obsession (reel to reel) has me re-evaluating my system priorities...
The Eros wants SUT's to run Moving Coils, but with an Adcom vdhII HO Mc the sound is superb direct with no stepup.

Wasatch

Feb 17, 2012
Layton, UT
The new Manley Chinook.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing