The best-sounding CDs that are good...

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I'm no audiophile music collector. I would much rather have a great performance that is digitally compressed than a bunch of new age noodling perfectly captured. But hey, I have a few bucks invested in audio too. I enjoy a well-recorded set as much as the next audiophile. So I would like this distinguished group's take on great-sounding CDs (I don't do vinyl) that are also great music. I'll start...

Van Morrison, "It's Too Late To Stop Now." -- A little light at the bottom end, but otherwise a pretty exemplary live rock recording. You can feel the ambience of the room, hear every nuance of every instrument, easily tell when Van is a bit too close to the mic creating proximity effect to good effect...hell, you can almost picture the hippie chick who says "Alriiiiight" when "Listen To The Lion" finally completes its long wind down to silence. This is the stuff. The original release from the 90s is a bit better than last year's remaster, IMHO.

Shelby Lynn, "Just A Little Lovin'" -- A modern analog recording, and I mean analog to the bone. You can hear the tube preamp of the old RCA mic she's using. It's a neat effect that gets a bit too trick after awhile, but it contributes to the uber intimacy of the recording and it's easy to overlook. The music? It is Shelby Lynn interpreting songs made famous by Dusty Springfield, backed up by a small, mostly acoustic jazz combo. It is transcendent. As I said in the Female Vocalist thread, it sounds like you walked into a smoky basement jazz club on a rainy evening, to find the ghost of Dusty Springfield singing her lifetime of heartbreak and regret. God, it's good.

P

DWR

Jul 26, 2010
Western burbs of Detroit
Ok I'll throw a couple out there.
1) Harry Chapin "The Gold Medal Collection" covers most of his stuff I love the story teller and his music. Mail Order Annie, and Remember When are excellent recordings.
2) Natalie Merchant "Tigerlily" Just an excellent album and recording.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Shelby Lynne, "Just A Little Lovin'" -- A modern analog recording, and I mean analog to the bone. You can hear the tube preamp of the old RCA mic she's using. It's a neat effect that gets a bit too trick after awhile, but it contributes to the uber intimacy of the recording and it's easy to overlook. The music? It is Shelby Lynn interpreting songs made famous by Dusty Springfield, backed up by a small, mostly acoustic jazz combo. It is transcendent. As I said in the Female Vocalist thread, it sounds like you walked into a smoky basement jazz club on a rainy evening, to find the ghost of Dusty Springfield singing her lifetime of heartbreak and regret. God, it's good.

Yeah, this a great album and a great recording. Couple of other female vocalists, a bit more off the radar:

Kelly Flint of Dave's True Story -- their Chesky stuff and the self-titled debut album are great recordings, and their songwriting is superb and often really funny Ned has a big Dutch wife... Turns out she runs a brothel

Anjani, Blue Alert -- an album of Leonard Cohen covers that has a similar intimacy to 'Just a Little Lovin' Puts you in a jazz club in the village or Paris

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
HI

DO you mean CD that were also recorded digitally or simply CDs .. because the Mercury Living Presence CD are good to great sounding. Almost all of them ... Since there are 60 or more of these that would make for a long list. Great Music and Great sound
From the top of my head:
Lyle Lovett : Joshua judges Ruth
Lyle Lovett: Step Inside This House .

Same: Great music and great sound.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Slightly OT sorry but.......

One of my favorite labels with well recorded music is Winston Ma's First Impression Music most of which have been remastered by none other than our own member here Bruce Brown of Puget Sound. I had the great pleasure of meeting Bruce and his wife today at the California Audio Show in Emeryville. Bruce had his Pyramix on display. It is certainly one pro level bit of gear he had on display. Thanks for giving us such great stuff. In fact Bruce gave us a demo of one of my favorite songs ever and that's "You Cant Take That Away From Me" with Louie Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald recorded in 1956 and remastered by Verve Label in SACD mono. First Impression and Bruce have now remastered that in stereo and will be soon released. He played the tape master, then the version i have and then the remastered stereo version of that song. Very revealing.

Steve Williams

I thought I did say the cut was "You Cant Take That Away From Me" by Louie and Ella originally recorded in mono in 1956

Bruce did the remastering on the soon to be released album by First Impression Music.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
HI

DO you mean CD that were also recorded digitally or simply CDs .. because the Mercury Living Presence CD are good to great sounding. Almost all of them ... Since there are 60 or more of these that would make for a long list. Great Music and Great sound
From the top of my head:
Lyle Lovett : Joshua judges Ruth
Lyle Lovett: Step Inside This House .

Same: Great music and great sound.

Lyle seems to be one of the artists that pays close attention to the sound of his recordings. Most of them are very good recordings as well as very good music. Sadly, sometimes really good artists don't pay attention, and turn out albums that, in spite of containing great songs, can be kind of hard to listen to sometimes. Bruce Springsteen and Steve Earle come to mind.

P

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I thought I did say the cut was "You Cant Take That Away From Me" by Louie and Ella originally recorded in mono in 1956

Bruce did the remastering on the soon to be released album by First Impression Music.

Just the cut, or will the be releasing an album containing the cut?

P

Steve Williams

Sorry for the confusion. Bruce was the mastering engineer for Winston Ma at FIM and the entire album was remastered from mono to stereo. I have the SACD version on the Verve label and that song has become a trademark for opeing our BAAS get togethers

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing