What material makes for the best amp base

msm_1

Jun 20, 2010
Now that I have my system tore down and am in the process of doing some changes, I have a quick question. With amps that are Class A ( Original DMA200 )and run very hot, are there materials that make for a better amp stand ? I'm not sure how hot the bottom of each amp gets after several hours of play, but always like to side of safe over appearance. I was leaning towards a custom granite or marble stand, thinking the stone would help absorb and displace any major heat without any chance of getting to hot.

Any ideas

Thanks Mike

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
If your amps run very hot, they should be on feet to raise them off the mounting surface and the mounting surface should have ventilation holes bored through it to increase air flow.

Granite, marble or other stone will initially act as a heat sink, but in time will become heat saturated unless there is a way to eliminate the heat. If you want, you can do what I had done in a kitchen counter to keep it cool: I had 1/4" copper tubing zig-zagged across and epoxied to the under side of the counter top to allow cold water to flow through and keep it cool. You need the cold water line and a waste line. This is very effective for rolling out pie crust and pastries in the kitchen. I don't know if you're hard core enough to do this for an amplifier stand.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
If your amps run very hot, they should be on feet to raise them off the mounting surface and the mounting surface should have ventilation holes bored through it to increase air flow.

Granite, marble or other stone will initially act as a heat sink, but in time will become heat saturated unless there is a way to eliminate the heat. If you want, you can do what I had done in a kitchen counter to keep it cool: I had 1/4" copper tubing zig-zagged across and epoxied to the under side of the counter top to allow cold water to flow through and keep it cool. You need the cold water line and a waste line. This is very effective for rolling out pie crust and pastries in the kitchen. I don't know if you're hard core enough to do this for an amplifier stand.

I was at Lloyd Walker's years ago and he had an amplifier that required water cooling. He ran 1/4 copper tubing up from the basement and the return had a valve to control the flow. The system had a very liquid sound IIRC.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
What amplifier requires water cooling?

Does it have internal channels for the water or does it have a radiator/heat exchanger?

msm_1

Jun 20, 2010
I like the water cooling idea but in order to run a water line serving both amps would have to run about 40' to get to the closest water line and major renovations to hide it . I was thinking on seeing how quiet the laptop cooling pads are and may make a trip into Staples to see sizes ( not sure if this will work or not )

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I was at Lloyd Walker's years ago and he had an amplifier that required water cooling. He ran 1/4 copper tubing up from the basement and the return had a valve to control the flow. The system had a very liquid sound IIRC.

The name escapes me but there was a water cooled German amplifier built back in the mid to late '90s. In fact, to make it fancier, the water came in different colors :)

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I like the water cooling idea but in order to run a water line serving both amps would have to run about 40' to get to the closest water line and major renovations to hide it . I was thinking on seeing how quiet the laptop cooling pads are and may make a trip into Staples to see sizes ( not sure if this will work or not )

A laptop cooling pad will support and cool a 5 pound laptop. I think a 100 pound amp will crush it.

Coming back down to earth for reasonable cooling, how about running an air conditioning duct or a fan to blow ambient air on the amplifiers. A fan and a base with holes bored through the bottom for air flow and feet on the amps to raise them a couple of inches off the surface will do wonders for cooling.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I would check with the manufacturer with regards to forced cooling with water/fans/air conditioning/liquid helium.

A well designed amp like the Spectral should reach thermal stability and then the heat sinks radiate excess heat. You may need to cool your amp base, but you should not have to cool your amp. With forced cooling, your amp may never "warm up". I am a competing manufacturer, so please don't take my word for it and contact the manufacturer of your amplifier.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Diamond, Silver, Copper

Copper with copper fins. Use your current bases, and have a sheet metal shop fabricate a top of copper and copper fins on a downward flange.
I can go into details if interested.
Copper has great thermal conductivity [absorbs and carries away heat], silver is better, and I believe Diamond is the best.
zz

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
What you don't do is use any type of Sorbothane or pliable footers under your amp. I made that mistake with the Wave Kinetics footers under my Pass Labs amps and the heat turned them all brown and gnarly!

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
If you want more effective cooling of your Spectral amp, my computer fans on top of the preamp and other units, powered by a selectable-voltage power supply from RadioShack, work very well and are extremely quiet at 3.3V. I would put such either on top of the fins or near them you would need to figure out a way to attach them, but it's not difficult.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
If you want more effective cooling of your Spectral amp, my computer fans on top of the preamp and other units, powered by a selectable-voltage power supply from RadioShack, work very well and are extremely quiet at 3.3V. I would put such either on top of the fins or near them you would need to figure out a way to attach them, but it's not difficult.

I think what we're looking for here is the most complicated way to do it!!!!!!:p

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I think what we're looking for here is the most complicated way to do it!!!!!!:p

Ahh... hmm... dedicated A/C and ductwork blowing behind the amp(s)??? or just blowing :D

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Copper with copper fins. Use your current bases, and have a sheet metal shop fabricate a top of copper and copper fins on a downward flange.
I can go into details if interested.
Copper has great thermal conductivity [absorbs and carries away heat], silver is better, and I believe Diamond is the best.
zz

Diamond IS BY FAR THE BEST known thermal conductor, about five times better than copper, but in order to get enough in one slab, you might have to rocket out to that "Diamond Star" they discovered about a year ago and that might be a bit costly.

I think increasing the amount of ambient air flow via a fan or just improving convection around the amps should do fine. Mike, you aren't the only person running a DMA200 or other large power amps running in Class A, and they don't seem to be lighting on fire for people who own them. You might just want to add an AC duct to cool the room in general.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
I have slate slabs on cones underneath my monoblocks, and the improvement is quite noticeable.

The TAD amps have integrated cast iron, but that might be a bit difficult to implement after the fact.

edwardce

Oct 7, 2010
The Spectral DMA 200 amplifier is forced air cooled by design, make sure the fan is functioning properly, the air inlet and outlet are clean and unobstructed, and all should be fine. It may be worthwhile to have a tech remove the internal shroud and make sure there is no dust buildup on the fins of the heatsinks that are in the air flow path. I am sure Spectral can give advice if there is any question.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
The Spectral DMA 200 amplifier is forced air cooled by design, make sure the fan is functioning properly, the air inlet and outlet are clean and unobstructed, and all should be fine. It may be worthwhile to have a tech remove the internal shroud and make sure there is no dust buildup on the fins of the heatsinks that are in the air flow path. I am sure Spectral can give advice if there is any question.

I have my gear on Stillpoints component stands which lift the units. Don't see the need for any additional cooling methods. :confused:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
My AC vent is directly above the Pass labs amps.... sure needs it.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have slate slabs on cones underneath my monoblocks, and the improvement is quite noticeable.

The TAD amps have integrated cast iron, but that might be a bit difficult to implement after the fact.

I have seen the TAD mono amps...similar base to the legendary Esoteric P-0 Transport sold in Japan. But does cast iron near amp have any issues due to the magnetism?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing