Roll-up, etc. screens

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Faced with a room that will not accept a permanently-mounted screen, what are the members' thoughts on screens that roll down (manual or motorized)? Although I have the architect's plans for our dedicated music/theater room add-on in hand, frankly we cannot afford it at this time. Therefore, if I want to progress to a front-projection system, I would need a screen that "disappears" when not in use.

Are this type of screen suitable for high-performance video? I'm currently using a 60" Pioneer Elite plasma, and don't want to substantially downgrade the image quality, brightness, etc.

Lee

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
My screen is a roll down. It is on a trigger. I push a button on my remote and ta-da! First time guests always love to see that. High performance video? Absolutely.

LesAuber

Jun 21, 2010
I'm using a Stewart motorized screen that drops down. I don't believe it gives up anything to a fixed screen which I had no place to mount anyway. With their tab guy tensioning (hope I remembered the right terminology) the thing is perfectly flat. No ripples and whatnot. I think you can get pretty much any of their screen materials in this kind of system. I believe you also can get motorized masking on these though the cost goes up rather quickly. It's on a 12 V trigger from the projector. No idea what it would be in todays dollars.

muralman1

Jul 7, 2010
Sacramento Ca
I hate spending a lot of money for a bit of better performance in video. I suppose that is so, because the audio holds such importance to me in watching movies. I use a manual table top pull up screen. It gives an 80" diagonal. That was 5 years ago. It operates smoothly, and the picture is all I want from a projector. The blacks are deep, shadow detail is very good, bright sun on the water has you reaching for your shades.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
My front wall is slightly concave, so I wonder if one of the drop-down screens would work. I also have some projector location issues. Seems as though the gods want me to remain focused upon the music!

Lee

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
My front wall is slightly concave, so I wonder if one of the drop-down screens would work. I also have some projector location issues. Seems as though the gods want me to remain focused upon the music!

Lee

Hi Lee,

The drop down projection screens mount to the ceiling. As long as the screen is positioned properly away from the wall I can not see where a slightly concave wall would create an issue.

Rich

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
I have 22 ft. ceilings in the room, so that's out.

Lee

Hi Lee,

I am sure that you could use chains to suspend (which is a normal way for these to be attached to the ceiling), or some sort of frame and/or scaffolding system could be made that the projection screen could mount to. This could be desigend to be free standing or possibly leaning/attached to the rear wall. But, that may not be to your liking. Look at the Stewart screen site for their options:

http://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/

Rich

mimesis

Sep 26, 2010
I use a dNP Supernova Flex drop down screen. Absolutely outstanding image quality when paired with my modest light output JVC projector. I believe you can get a Supernova with enough cable to drop it to the proper location even if installed 22' high. The price may be painful but for me it's been worth it and isn't subject to upgraditis, unlike power amps, preamps, DACs etc.

William

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I have 22 ft. ceilings in the room, so that's out.

Lee
Hi Lee. My crew has done drop down screens with ceilings as tall as 33 feet! So don't give up on that option. If you need ideas on how it can be done, drop me a PM.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I use a roll down screen from Elite. I'm not too thrilled because after only a few uses, it was wrinkled already. It appears to have no effect on picture quality though but I'm still going to talk to the distributor about it. It didn't cost much because I had to scrimp the bulk of the budget going to the Music room so maybe it's a case of "you get what you pay for".

There are pop up motorized screens both 16:9 and Anamorphic. Elite offers them too but I am hesitant to recommend them until I find out if the wrinkling is a solitary case or an "Elite" thing.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing