Boulder 1008 v.s. Thoress Phono Enhancer

poj_u

Jun 27, 2013
Hatyai, Thailand
Hi, I'm thinking about buying new phono preamp.
After checking my options, I'm interested in these two product.

Boulder 1008 v.s. Thoress Phono Enhancer
Have anyone auditioned or compare this two ?
What's your opinion ?

AMP

Feb 27, 2011
I've had the 1008 in my system for about 6 months. It replaced a VTL TP-6.5 with the MC step-up transformer and I'm glad I made the switch.

Compared to the VTL (which is no slouch) the 1008 has a lower noise floor, better detail retrieval (without a hint of stridency), faster transient response, and more heft to the bottom end. I had no real objections to the VTL aside from tube noise and it wasn't until I installed the Boulder that I found several things that were missing in the VTL's presentation.

I have no experience with the Thoress product, but am happy to answer any questions you may have about the 1008.

poj_u

Jun 27, 2013
Hatyai, Thailand
Thank you very much for your opinion.
Some say the 1008 is not as musical as some tube phono stage like ARC Ref2 SE.
(I won't buy ARC because of the local dealer.)

I listen to Jazz and Rock mainly.
Anyone use Thoress ?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I do not have the newest Thoress phono enhancer, however I do have the original TW Acoustic / Thoress 3 input phono stage. It is a lively, quiet phono stage with that "tube" magic that is hard to beat.

I friend of mine had the Boulder 1008. His TW dealer had a trade in of the TW phono on the new thoress. he tried the TW phono and now owns it. The Boulder is now sold.

cheers

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
a friend owns the Thoress Phono Enhancer and did bring it over to my room.

it's very, very, good. I was impressed. its not slow and round, or lacking detail or top end air like some tubed phono stages. it's very vivid and lively. and it has quite a bit of adjustability to different RIAA curves too.

I've not ever listened to the Boulder 1008 in a familiar system so I cannot offer any comparative opinion.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
What's about Impact, Macro dynamic, Micro dynamic and Bass of the Thoress ?

I thought that the Thoress Phono Enhancer was very good in terms of bass impact and weight, and also micro dynamic snap and transient precision. i'd call it 'fast', with good 'pace'. good soundstage size and depth and width. seemed to have low noise in my particular system. I could not fault it.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I posted this on another thread here...thought you might be curious on this thread...

I got to listen the Audio Research Ref 2SE today vs the Boulder 1008 phono stage. The system was Wilson Audio Alexia's, Dan a'gastino (sp?) amp and pre, AMG turntable and arm with a Lyra Kleos cartridge. Shunyata AC cabling/conditioner and Nordost signal/speaker cables.

The are both great phono stages. One isn't better than the other...but they two are very different from each other. The ARC Ref 2SE had big images and big presentation...very good detail and air. I just kinda melted right into it...

Then we switched to the Boulder 1008. The soundstage was just as wide and deep, however the images had more specificity with in that soundstage stage along with more detail and resolution. The surprise was the Boulder sounded a touch warmer in the mids and top end. The bass and top end was certainly more extended and resolute, the cymbals more sweet and it really conveyed the emotion and intent on the musician better. I could hear the Miles Davis' trumpet inflections more clearly...or course the boulder had a blacker background...but the ARC had next to zero noise with your ear 1 inch from the wilson tweeters..

In this system, I responded to the Boulder...I wish I could have compared it to my Nagra VPS in the same system...

Surprised me a bit, I thought the tubes in the ARC would have been the better compliment with the SS pre and amp.

Your mileage may certainly vary...

poj_u

Jun 27, 2013
Hatyai, Thailand
I bought Boulder 1008 instead. Because Thoress's dealer is very tricky, I can't stand them.
I'm very happy with the 1008, sorry Thoress. But you should find yourself a new dealer.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Congrats on your 1008 ! Dealers matter...I have to agree with you on that...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing