Multi Channel RME With Jriver

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I am trying to set up my RME HDSPe AIO with Jriver. I want to output 4 channels: left and right main and 2 subs. The left and right main to AES and the 2 subs to analog outs. In Jriver, if I set the channel offset to 4, sound is sent to AES 1+2. If I set channel offset to 0, sound is sent to analog channels 1+2. How do I map multi-channel to correct outputs in Jriver? Do I have to route all channels via the Hammerfall DSP mixer or can it more easily be done inside jriver?

ted_b

Feb 4, 2011
Michael,
Have you tried the "order channels" or "mix channels" pulldown in the DSP section?
DSP-> parametric ->add->order channels (and/or mix channels)

I have the Exasound E28 and will finish my review soon. DSD256 and 24/384k for 8 channels. Very nice! :)
Ted

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Yes. I guess what I am saying is that I can't figure out how to assign or route a channel shown in Jriver (eg. Center, Surround Left etc.) to a specific output channel on my RME soundcard. I know I am missing something pretty basic. :D

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Michael,
Have you tried the "order channels" or "mix channels" pulldown in the DSP section?

I have the Exasound E28 and will finish my review soon. DSD256 and 24/384k for 8 channels. Very nice! :)
Ted
Better hurry. I just got one, too. ;)

mojave

Oct 29, 2010
Elkhorn, NE
I posted in your thread at JRiver's forum, too.

Leave the channel offset at 0. You only change it if you are using a different set of outputs on an audio device. For example, channels 0-7 on my Steinberg UR824 go through the its own mixer while channels 10-18 bypass the mixer. Channel 19+ are routed to digital outputs.

In JRiver you set the output to 5.1 in the Output Format DSP You can either use JRiver's bass management in the Room Correction DSP or you can route manually using the Parametric Equalizer DSP.

If you use JRiver's Bass Management, you will still need to copy the subwoofer channel to the center channel. This will give you bass output on channels 2 & 3 on the RME. Activate the Parametric EQ DSP, add Mix Channels, and copy the subwoofer to the center channel. See the attached picture. You will need to make sure to move the Parametric Equalizer DSP after the Room Correction DSP by grabbing and moving it with the mouse.

If you want to have stereo subs, you will need to do that entirely in Parametric Equalizer. You copy the Left and Right channels to the Center and Subwoofer respectively. Then you add high and low pass filters and possibly an adjust the volume filter. I recommend you start with 24 db/octave slopes and then change depending on your drivers and subs. I've attached a picture to show you what to do.

Copy Sub to Center.JPG
PEQ Crossover.JPG

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Thanks Mojave! I was hoping you would respond to my query. :) I thought it too presumptuous for me to ask you directly. I will give this a try. I think I have to first figure out which channel gets routed to which out on the RME card before I start the setup for the 4 channels. I think I need to open the RME mixer and send some solo channel test signals out from the jriver room correction tab while watching the mixer to see where it comes out of the rme AIO card.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Okay this is what i have. I followed Nyal's advice about sending test tones. I went to advanced, calibration and started the tones. I then went to the room correction tab and opened up the RME mixer. I checked the "tone" box in jriver room correction tab. I tried checking the "solo" box but that didn't do anything. But when I checked the "tone" box and then selected a speaker this is what I get:
SL-->AES channel 1 (AES left)
SR-->AES channel 2 (AES right_
L-->Analog channel 1 (analog left)
R-->Analog channel 2 (analog right)

I then went to the PEQ tab and selected mix channels from the drop down for each of these channels. I tried to swap the SL for the Left and the SR for the Right. That didn't do anything. I then tried to copy in the same manner and that didn't do anything. I then tried to move in the same manner and that didn't do anything.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I got it!! I was sending the test tones wrong. Here is a shot of music being played with channels copied to make it 4 channel; 2 channel out analog for each subwoofer and 2 channels out AES to awesome DAC!
4 channel works with RME!.jpg

jdw

Jul 25, 2013
Changing the order of channels

Michael,

Ted

I am looking forward to reading your review. I have also the the e28 and one week ago you have sent me the guide for ripping SACD with the PS3. It works very well. I have just a question. Could you change the order of channels when the setting in Jriver is bitstreaming (DSD). I have tried, but received the message that this option in not available when bistreaming ?

mojave

Oct 29, 2010
Elkhorn, NE
I am looking forward to reading your review. I have also the the e28 and one week ago you have sent me the guide for ripping SACD with the PS3. It works very well. I have just a question. Could you change the order of channels when the setting in Jriver is bitstreaming (DSD). I have tried, but received the message that this option in not available when bistreaming ?
Any DSP in JRiver requires DSD to be converted to PCM. Since it is now PCM, you can't bitstream anymore. MC19 has listed as a feature DSD encoding. Evidently some DAC manufacturers have stated that their DACs sound better decoding DSD than PCM. JRiver has added DSD encoding so that one can use DSP for PCM or DSD and have it converted to DSD for final output or even just convert PCM to DSD for the DAC. This post has too many acronyms. :)

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Any DSP in JRiver requires DSD to be converted to PCM. Since it is now PCM, you can't bitstream anymore. MC19 has listed as a feature DSD encoding. Evidently some DAC manufacturers have stated that their DACs sound better decoding DSD than PCM. JRiver has added DSD encoding so that one can use DSP for PCM or DSD and have it converted to DSD for final output or even just convert PCM to DSD for the DAC. This post has too many acronyms. :)

A more cynical interpretation is that Jriver is I on the ploy to create a market for "DSD" capable DACs, in the absence of actual native DSD content.

You simply encode existing PCM content to DSD, get a few reviewers to proclaim it sounds better and DAC so and so, and presto, you have a rationale for people to buy new hardware - sheer marketing brilliance!

Of course, some DACs already do their own DSD encoding of PCM for internal processing (EMM Labs and I believe Playback design).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing