The Placebo Effect

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
It's amazing what a placebo can do.

I've been taking glucosamine for the past 4 years to treat a left knee worn out by years of competitive bowling. However, if it has worked, may be I would consider that the symptoms has not progressed (the knee clicks and hurts when I climb stairs - more so going down). During my last trip home to Singapore, my mother told me that the glucosamine sold in the US does not work. I did some Google research and found that glucosamine hydrochloride has never been shown to be any benefit at all. It is crystalline glucosamine sulphate that was shown in some clinical trials that helped.

However, crystalline glucosamine sulphate is patented by an Italian company. Even some "glucosamine sulphate" sold in the US are glucosamine hydrochloride with sulphate added.

I've been taking crystalling glucosamine sulphate for the past month, and my knee has stopped clicking, and hurts a lot less when walking up and down stairs. If all glucosamine is a placebo as oneobgyn says it is, it has worked wonderfully in treating my knees!!

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
I had an MRI in Singapore when it was first diagnosed about 20 years ago, and was told to stop bowling... or to put that particular stress on that joint. In the past 10 years, it doesn't hurt any more, and it doesn't hurt any less. Since I've been taking this particular glucosamine, it's hurting less. Still clicks over once in a while, but far, far less often.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
That's how I first found out about it. There's a long flight of stairs going down to the bowling alley, and it used to hurt going bowling, and hurt less going home climbing up. When I went to the hospital in Singapore, the doctor told me that the meniscus is worn out and did an MRI to confirm.

When I told the doctor here in the US 6 years ago, he recommended that I start taking glucosamine. But no MRI was done.

[edit] actually, come to think of it, 20 years ago it wasn't an MRI. They x-rayed both knees and compared.

Last edited:

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
"...and anything with a big-ass science machine can out-perform any of them."

"...a plain pill works worse than a branded one, a discounted pill works worse than a pricey one..."

"...and even a pill that's in a plain box does worse than one that's all shiny and ****."

Stop it. I'm about to pee my pants over here.

Tim

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
That's how I first found out about it. There's a long flight of stairs going down to the bowling alley, and it used to hurt going bowling, and hurt less going home climbing up. When I went to the hospital in Singapore, the doctor told me that the meniscus is worn out and did an MRI to confirm.

When I told the doctor here in the US 6 years ago, he recommended that I start taking glucosamine. But no MRI was done.

[edit] actually, come to think of it, 20 years ago it wasn't an MRI. They x-rayed both knees and compared.

I hate to be OT here Gary but sounds to me as if you have a torn meniscus and need arthroscopy

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
"Expectation Bias" is the placebo of the audiophile. Expensive, big 'n shiny, etc.etc.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I hate to be OT here Gary but sounds to me as if you have a torn meniscus and need arthroscopy

Yep. I've got those symptoms and that diagnosis. Of course I'm taking my usual approach to surgery (of which, at 62, I've had a vasectomy).

Doc: "I want to get an orthopedic guy to look at that."

Me: "Why"

Doc: "He might want to fix it."

Me: "Doc, when I'm in more pain than he's gonna cause me, I'll consider it."

I've had the same doctor for a few decades. He knows me well. But he just keeps trying.

Tim

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I managed to make it to 56 without being operated on, but I couldn't make it past 57. After I completely ruptured my bicep tendon in my right arm, I had no choice but to have surgery. I still asked if they would do it with local anesthesia since I have never been put under before and wasn't looking forward to the first time, but no dice. I wish I had been able to stay awake during the operation because maybe I would have heard what went wrong.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Yep. I've got those symptoms and that diagnosis. Of course I'm taking my usual approach to surgery (of which, at 62, I've had a vasectomy).

Doc: "I want to get an orthopedic guy to look at that."

Me: "Why"

Doc: "He might want to fix it."

Me: "Doc, when I'm in more pain than he's gonna cause me, I'll consider it."

I've had the same doctor for a few decades. He knows me well. But he just keeps trying.

Tim

Haha! Me too. I'm 53, and not even a vasectomy.

The doctors here have proposed surgery twice in the 6 years I've been visiting doctors in the US. In the 46 years when I've been visiting doctors in Singapore, I've never been proposed surgery. One wanted to do it for frozen shoulder (well, not really surgery but putting me under GA and "exercising" the shoulder to "break up scar tissue") and recently because of a trigger thumb. Both have been resolved by going to China and getting massages.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Haha! Me too. I'm 53, and not even a vasectomy.

The doctors here have proposed surgery twice in the 6 years I've been visiting doctors in the US. In the 46 years when I've been visiting doctors in Singapore, I've never been proposed surgery. One wanted to do it for frozen shoulder (well, not really surgery but putting me under GA and "exercising" the shoulder to "break up scar tissue") and recently because of a trigger thumb. Both have been resolved by going to China and getting massages.

Speaking of China and massages, China has been publicly debating lately whether it should be legal for massage parlors to give "happy endings."

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Speaking of China and massages, China has been publicly debating lately whether it should be legal for massage parlors to give "happy endings."

"Happy endings" are usually optional. It involves a release of energy, because a proper Chinese tuina massage can be rather painful, and you do need the release.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
"Happy endings" are usually optional. It involves a release of energy, because a proper Chinese tuina massage can be rather painful, and you do need the release.

Gary-Are we talking about the same "happy ending?"

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing