Brass screws for speaker drivers?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Personally, I'm glad Northstar and I did that side trip. Otherwise, getting into a second page here might imply that we take this thing seriously.

Tim

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
As most machinists know, the optimal torque and pre-load for a screw is 1/4 turn before it strips.

Most (vast majority) audiophiles, and music lovers, don't know that. ...And both categories of these people are NO machinists.

Correct. Don't know why so many people can't figure that out. :)

Tim

You are in the minority Tim. ...Others think that it's a 1/2 turn passed the 'point of no return' (flush with the surface).

I would never use brass (or bronze) for something like a speaker -- too soft. AFAIK brass screws are only used for looks (decorative) and light-duty applications.

True, and copper also is a very soft metal. It bends easily, and the head of the screw comes out with little over-torqued.
...And when a screw loses its head, you know how hard it is to get back ....

Sooo, that guy from that video is not what people like us want to follow 'screwingly'.
And maybe he also likes brass cables (speaker wires and interconnects)? ...For EMI & RFI noise rejection and all that brass .... ;)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Most (vast majority) audiophiles, and music lovers, don't know that. ...And both categories of these people are NO machinists.

You are in the minority Tim. ...Others think that it's a 1/2 turn passed the 'point of no return' (flush with the surface).

True, and copper also is a very soft metal. It bends easily, and the head of the screw comes out with little over-torqued.
...And when a screw loses its head, you know how hard it is to get back ....

Sooo, that guy from that video is not what people like us want to follow 'screwingly'.
And maybe he also likes brass cables (speaker wires and interconnects)? ...For EMI & RFI noise rejection and all that brass .... ;)
That was really funny Bob. I almost lost my head over it. :D

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Slightly OT. I recently replaced all of the small Philips head screws in my preamp with steel Torx head screws. The reason..to access the tubes inside requires a removal of the heavy steel top plate, do this a few times and you are stripping the head off the Philips screw. Since I roll tubes in fairly often, seemed like a great idea. Sonically, no diff:rolleyes:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
So, how the head is 'cracked' (hex, square, cross, torx, philips, etc.) is important too; for prolonged use. ...Strong hold.

* You are quite right Davey. ...And it's true also for the drivers in the loudspeakers because they do need replacement sometimes;
and with some people (like me for example), more often than not. {I just know how to blow them real good.} :D

** I also would not mind to see Gary's screw's treads, and heads.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Yeah, this was a screwballl thread from the start.

Tim

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Slightly OT. I recently replaced all of the small Philips head screws in my preamp with steel Torx head screws. The reason..to access the tubes inside requires a removal of the heavy steel top plate, do this a few times and you are stripping the head off the Philips screw. Since I roll tubes in fairly often, seemed like a great idea. Sonically, no diff:rolleyes:

That would infer you were using the wrong size Phillips screwdriver for the screws that you are removing. As far as rolling in tubes "fairly often," I believe Ken Stevens would be the first to tell you that it's not a good idea unless the tubes were sourced from him. The CAT is a very picky preamp when it comes to tubes and noise and Ken selects each tube for the socket it's going to be used in.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
That would infer you were using the wrong size Phillips screwdriver for the screws that you are removing. As far as rolling in tubes "fairly often," I believe Ken Stevens would be the first to tell you that it's not a good idea unless the tubes were sourced from him. The CAT is a very picky preamp when it comes to tubes and noise and Ken selects each tube for the socket it's going to be used in.
Lots of inferences and assumptions. :( Too bad none of them are correct.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I wish we would wake up tomorrow and someone would outlaw philips, flat head and English measurement system :).

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
There are THREE (3) countries in the world that do not use SI.

They are Myanmar, Liberia and the United States.

We are NOT in good company.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
The English measurement system; is it miles instead of kilometers, and Fahrenheit instead of Celsius, and feet instead of meters, etc.?
...Pounds (kilograms), US gallons (Canadian gallons) ;), ....

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I don't have a problem with Phillips. The only concern with them is it is easier to use the wrong size driver with it than a Torx or hexagonal Allen wrench.

The straight slotted screw head [which is what I think you mean by "flat head"] has to go because it it not self centering for a screwdriver.

The Torx is clearly the best driver because it gives crisp, almost 90 degree vertical engagement of the star points between the driver and star screw head. The only disadvantage of the Torx is the shallower engagement of the driver and the head than the square drive head, although in some uses where there are space constraints, the shallower engagement is an advantage.

The square drive screw heads are second best owing to their almost 90 degree vertical engagement of the screw head and driver. An advantage of the square drive head over the Torx is the engagement of screw head and driver is deeper than the Torx which enables you to pick up the screw and carry it into position with the driver itself without the screw falling off.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
It's funny that in 2013 the technology doesn't apply to screws! :D ...Well, some, but certainly not most.

Also, some of (many) our tools are so ... prehistoric! ... Can they do better than a 'hammer'.
...Without being a pro carpenter, you run the risk to hammer your small finger, ouch!

Screwdrivers should be outlawed, only cordless drills allowed.

And the alloy of some of our tools, are made of pure rust!
Why can they not make waterproof tools, even electric ones?

* Did you ever build a wood deck? What kind of wood screws were you using?

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
The English measurement system; is it miles instead of kilometers, and Fahrenheit instead of Celsius, and feet instead of meters, etc.?
...Pounds (kilograms), US gallons (Canadian gallons) ;), ....

Yes, the English system sucks.

Long live SI. Système international d'unités

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
The stupid US government with its lobbyists is to blame.

One of the main reasons Canada went metric [the term is "metricated"] in 1973, and literally almost overnight, is because the US said they were going to do the same, but we never did.

We can thank Ronald Reagan for de-funding the metrication board in the 1980's for the US never changing over.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing