Julf

Nov 27, 2011
Amsterdam, The Netherlands

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Nasa & bmw

I think NASA banned lead solder. NASA then had so many problems due the ban that they everyone just ignored the ban and used lead solder.

I think BMW had a monster problem involving 10s of thousands of cars due to the whisker problems in the electronics.

Amazing - the world jumps up & down about electronic lead, and Monsanto is allowed to destroy the world's agriculture with genetic seed engineering.

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I think NASA banned lead solder. NASA then had so many problems due the ban that they everyone just ignored the ban and used lead solder.

It is interesting that the exemptions include aerospace, automotive and "servers, switches, routers, cell sites and other telecommunication equipment that constitute the global Internet and phone systems".

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

I think BMW had a monster problem involving 10s of thousands of cars due to the whisker problems in the electronics.

Amazing - the world jumps up & down about electronic lead, and Monsanto is allowed to destroy the world's agriculture with genetic seed engineering.

You said it.

BIG +1

Priorities are all screwed up.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
It's not a case of superlatives. I think if you go back and look at the history of heavy metals and pollution, you'd be surprised by their prevalence. As I said on another site, go back and look up the history of Cadmium poisoning. Or the preponderance of lead in our society and children eating lead paint. How soon we forget.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I believe we have touched on this issue before. If you want long-term reliability with your electronics, we need the old, tried and true solder that we know works. Pulling the lead out of solder is great if you don't mind replacing your electronics on a regular basis. There is a reason that critical technologies are exempt from the lead-free requirement, that's because informed people know that using lead-free solder will cause the electronics to fail over time due to growing tin whiskers.

Last edited:

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
I think NASA banned lead solder. NASA then had so many problems due the ban that they everyone just ignored the ban and used lead solder

Not a chance. Nasa has never banned lead solder. They have always required it's use becasue of the combination of tin whisker issues and not enough long term reliability data on lead free solders.

It is interesting that the exemptions include aerospace, automotive and "servers, switches, routers, cell sites and other telecommunication equipment that constitute the global Internet and phone systems".

Yes any place that performance was critical you could use the lead solder ROHS exemption. We use it on all the stuff we manufacture. We won't go near lead free solders.

You have to remember though that ROHS is not just about lead. There are several compounds and metals like cadmiium that are also covered under the standard.

Rob

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Not a chance. Nasa has never banned lead solder. They have always required it's use becasue of the combination of tin whisker issues and not enough long term reliability data on lead free solders.

Yes any place that performance was critical you could use the lead solder ROHS exemption. We use it on all the stuff we manufacture. We won't go near lead free solders.

You have to remember though that ROHS is not just about lead. There are several compounds and metals like cadmiium that are also covered under the standard.

Rob

Yes while we look back and laugh at the radium dial painters, the story of the cadmium/battery factories is no less a disaster.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Tin whiskers caused the failure of the Galaxy IV satellite in 1998.

Not a chance. Nasa has never banned lead solder. They have always required it's use because of the combination of tin whisker issues and not enough long term reliability data on lead free solders.

OK, maybe not a ban of lead solder, but there were problems with lead free solder use: Tin whiskers caused the failure of the Galaxy IV satellite in 1998.

zz.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Or asbestos.....

Good point Gary, had actually included asbestos on another site but forgot here ;)

Actually the biggest tragedy with asbestos miners/workers, etc. wasn't just that asbestos was an irritant and carcinogen that is trapped in the lung tissue. Actually the biggest issue was with those miners, workers (like in shipbuilding -- or even auto mechanics --since asbestos was used in brake linings) and people who came into contact with asbestos and smoked; studies showed that the mesothelioma rate for this group wasn't just additive between the two carcinogens but synergistic :(

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
OK, maybe not a ban of lead solder, but there were problems with lead free solder use: Tin whiskers caused the failure of the Galaxy IV satellite in 1998.

That's true but you have the wrong cause. It wasn't that lead free solder was used.

whiskers grew on pure tin plated electromagnetic relays.

I have actually seen them and it's amazing how fine, long and flexible they can be. In this day and age every component that is plated or has a silver metal finish gets scanned to make sure there is no 100% tin. This gets done on everything all the way down to the hardware used so nuts screws and bolts as well. They take it very seriously and with good reason.

Rob:)

http://nepp.nasa.gov/whisker/failures/index.htm

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Thank you Rob.
Very good to know, and I do not mind being corrected when I am wrong.
Thank you again Rob, and I will try to stay out of all of the tin whiskers.
Best to you,
zz.

NMMark1962

Jun 29, 2013
Santa Fe, NM
I may be dreaming (or having a senior moment) but I swear I saw/heard/read that Wilson auditioned various types of solder for their speakers.....

Cheers,

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
It's not a case of superlatives. I think if you go back and look at the history of heavy metals and pollution, you'd be surprised by their prevalence. As I said on another site, go back and look up the history of Cadmium poisoning. Or the preponderance of lead in our society and children eating lead paint. How soon we forget.

Not to sidetrack the thread, but I think the problem of children eating lead paint is more a problem of parental control and maintenance of their homes than the paint itself, which happens to be better than other types of paint.

Last edited:

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Hmmm... Sounds like a guy who has not had a house of kids... Kids will put anything into their mouths, lick walls, etc. However, most of the exposure comes from pre-1978 houses with lead paint on the walls. Kids with wet/sticky hands touch the walls, then put their hands into their mouths. Another problem was that a lot of toys back then, and they still find them today, have lead in the paint, and kids chew on the toys. And so forth...

Al also has problems with sintering (spikes) and I am sure there are others (I am not a metallurgist).

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hmmm... Sounds like a guy who has not had a house of kids... Kids will put anything into their mouths, lick walls, etc. However, most of the exposure comes from pre-1978 houses with lead paint on the walls, then kids with wet/sticky hands touch the walls, then put their hands into their mouths. Another problem was thqat a lot of toys back then, and they still find them today, have lead in the paint, and kids chew on the toys. And so forth...

Al also has problems with sintering (spikes) and I am sure there are others (I am not a metallurgist).

You took the words right out of mouth. Plus paint that flaked off walls and kids ate it. Particularly in those of lower socio-economic status.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing