Zanden Aiudio Chouku - new statement mono amp from Zanden Audio

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Its diy so that will forever be a mysterie i pressume ,however i do trust mr yamada(zanden ) regarding his designs , ive heard quite a few ,and own one myself and my expirience is there really is not much to wish for anymore , which makes it kinda boring:D

Last edited:

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Some more Pictures:

Zanden_Chouku_2.jpg
Zanden_Chouku_3.jpg
Zanden_Chouku_Amp_Stand_1.jpg
Zanden_Chouku_Amp_Stand_2.jpg
Zanden_Chouku_Backside.jpg

Apparently the the Chouku is only made for Audio Exotics in Hong Kong but I have inquired about availability anyway.

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Zanden_Chouku_Finemet_Core_Transformer.jpg

The output transformer has a core made from FINEMET - a super material only available from HITACHI Corporation.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
This may well be a great sounding amp, I'm just not a fan of amps that look like they were built into a computer tower case. Can you say VTL, ARC, Dart, and a few others (ML to name another one)?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Audio Exotics has some interesting forums and exposure to some different gear than we always see in the USA. It's partially what turned me on to most recent purchase...Robert Koda K-10 preamp. This Zanden amp really seems interesting...

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
This may well be a great sounding amp, I'm just not a fan of amps that look like they were built into a computer tower case. Can you say VTL, ARC, Dart, and a few others (ML to name another one)?

I on the other hand really like that. ;)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Audio Exotics has some interesting forums and exposure to some different gear than we always see in the USA. It's partially what turned me on to most recent purchase...Robert Koda K-10 preamp. This Zanden amp really seems interesting...

Agree...they are passionate extremists over there...but some of the stuff they rave about really is great. You own one of them (koda) so you know what i Am talking about. I would love to hear the new Zanden amp...love their digital and have heard the ref monos.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks wizard! Any notes on specs or comments about how they sound?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Last edited:

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
In holland there was a guy (diy) who designed an amp around the TB3 - 2000 , the 833 is a dwarf compared to that thing.
huge : http://home.tiscali.nl/fishbowl.amping/bouwfase.html

http://forum.zelfbouwaudio.nl/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12736 scroll down for pics absolutely massive , never heard it unfortunately

There you have some single ended power

Look up the ML-6696A or -6697A (60 kW), or even the Eimacs 3CV200000D3 or ML-7482 (200 kW). Makes the little 2 kW ham tubes look tiny... I helped at a radio/TV station that used some large RF tubes in their 100 kW transmitters, water or vapor cooled. Serious antenna feeds (coax to the antenna had nitrogen piped through to expel any air and moisture).

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Pretty big the first one , but does it have a glass bulb or something else with liquid cooling???

http://www.tubecollectors.org/eimac/archives/ml6696a-6697a.pdf

Interesting read about aging and "" seasoning "" of tubes on page 3

Maybe the tube designers should design some 1 KW triodes, maybe then the SS guys with vampire loudspeakers will stop complaining how bad tubes sound .

I hope the dutch zanden importer will buy a pair of choukus so i can listen to them at a show

Ps ive just polished my zanden with degreasing spray its like new again , and i doubt i ll ever sell it:D

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Roysen tip :why dont you buy a pair of choukus plus a pair of XLFs and get the whole amplification problem (biamping what ever ) over with , 40 watts per channel should work fine.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing