• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 2,368
  • b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,733

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Apparently a special order amp designed in conjunction with audio exotics in Hong Kong?

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
But does it run Windows? :)

Which tube is that big honker?

Looks like the T1610 , like those used in the KR Audio Kronzilla .

This amp looks a departure from their chrome and gold look ....

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
40 watts single ended. The "other" tubes rectifiers and a 300b driver?

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I thought the 212 would output 100, 150 W max? It's been a long time so you are probably right, and I may be thinking RF amps/oscillators rather than continuous audio power.

Wonder how long before someone builds an amp using a high-power tube. Water-cooled and all that jazz.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
150w max power output usually translates into about 25-30percent rating for single ended audio output. My Wavac's 572b is rated at 160w for radio transmission, but 50w class A single ended for audio, which is probably optimistic.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Do you know if its possible to order for anyone?

I would think calling Audio exotics is a good place to start. Or email Eric Pheils at Zanden. If you need details, let me know.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I thought the 212 would output 100, 150 W max? It's been a long time so you are probably right, and I may be thinking RF amps/oscillators rather than continuous audio power.

Wonder how long before someone builds an amp using a high-power tube. Water-cooled and all that jazz.

Is an 833 considered a high powered tube? I thought that is the name of the tube in the Wavac 150-watt Class A 833-series amps. I think there is another company which uses that tube as well...Winn?

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
@cjfrbw: No argument. I am sure the big amps I have dealt with in the primordial past were push-pull and/or something other than class A, especially for radio Tx. I checked the specs (yes, should have done that first) and the WE212 replica is rated 150 W max, 40 W steady-state/DC (which I infer is class A to them).

@lloydelee21: Power designations are another of those things subject to interpretation. One system's high-power tube is another system's driver. The 833 is actually an old radio tube designed primarily for class B or C operation in the modulator or output stage of a medium-power transmitter, say around 150 W for a single tube and perhaps 500+ W for a pair, depending upon the class. As noted above, used for a class A audio circuit, the max output is probably 1/4 that. It is hard to get a good read from the various data sheets I quickly skimmed, but it looks like the two tubes are in generally the same ball-park, with the 833 having a little higher output.

I noticed the Psvane site also listed a much cheaper (~$210) version of the 212 in one of their other series.

Always a hoot seeing the plates glowing cherry-red near full power...

Disclaimer: I do not even know where my old tube manuals are, going off Google for spec sheets...

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Aretha Franklin - R. E. S. P. E. C. T.

In holland there was a guy (diy) who designed an amp around the TB3 - 2000 , the 833 is a dwarf compared to that thing.
huge : http://home.tiscali.nl/fishbowl.amping/bouwfase.html

http://forum.zelfbouwaudio.nl/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12736 scroll down for pics absolutely massive , never heard it unfortunately

There you have some single ended power

I truly & honestly RESPECT these builders/artists/engineers to an extremely high level.
BUT, I would like to be able to hear these different systems. I would like to hear the music. I would like to know.

Great pics,
zz.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing