Personal music at audio shows??

NMMark1962

Jun 29, 2013
Santa Fe, NM
Hey all,

After seeing and reading numerous show reports, I am wondering about (instead of taking CD's and SACD's to audio shows like RAMF) putting my audition music on a flash drive since so many exhibitors seem to be doing either computer music or vinyl.

SO, my question (and please don't laugh)....are there any differences between the various flash drives I see for sale? I can open the ads in the Sunday paper and see 32gb, 64gb and even 128gb flash drives. I also know the read/write speed can vary, so I was wondering if one brand is better than the other to load HD audio files for auditions at this year's RMAF?? What brand should I look for and what features I would need to get the best audio value...

MANY THANKS!!!

Mark

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
When I have a computer set up at shows and people show up with flash drives, it pisses me off when I insert the drive and it wants to load software and drivers.
I like the "SanDisk" brand. Make sure you get USB 3.0 compatible, especially if you have large hi-rez files. When you get the drives, format them and get that auto-load software crap off of them.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Wow! Do you really need that big a flash drive. You can get a lot of HD and SD stereo tracks onto a 32G drive. Even my big MCH DSD files only run a gig or two per track.

I do not know enough about these to know if they have stuff....would it be smart to plug it into my own PC to be sure there is no extra stuff??
Well, you would have to plug it into your own PC to copy the files on to it and that would the time to examine its contents. If there is stuff on it, reformat it.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
If you reformat in FAT32, be sure to break down albums into tracks. Otherwise, an hour long album at 24/192 is over 4GB

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I love FAT32. Not because it sounds better, but because it sounds cool.

Tim

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Exactly. You and I would drink together rather well, I think.

Tim

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Being the cynic that I am, as an exhibitor, I would be leery of inserting a stranger's flash drive into my computer. You never know what malevolent software they might have. I would feel much safer with a CD-R or DVD. It still isn't perfectly safe, but at least they wouldn't be able to walk away with my information. It would be best of they just brought a commercial CD/SACD and told what tracks they wanted to play.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing