Fremer Does Detective Work

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Good question. One could do something similar for uncounted CD sales; the Grateful Dead alone sell 350,000 - 400,000 CD's per year (directly) that are not tracked, groups like Pearl Jam probably at least twice as many. Those two groups alone may match the LP sales of big retailers like Acoustic Sounds and Music Direct.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I for one would find it interesting to know what the true number of LPs being pressed world-wide are and what numbers are reportedly being sold.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I for one would find it interesting to know what the true number of LPs being pressed world-wide are and what numbers are reportedly being sold.

Yeah, and I get why an industry magazine might want to run an article on unreported sales, or the resurgence of vinyl, and would put a research assistant on surveying all of those sources. I just don't get why an audiophile publications highest profile reviewer would be doing it.

Tim

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Tim-I'm sure you know that MF's mission for years was/is to be the apostle/Pied Piper of vinyl and he is credited with an undefined number of converts. So why wouldn't MF be chasing the actual numbers of vinyl records pressed and sold as well as tables and cartridges? Who better to get this info and who would have more credibility with the companies that MF is trying to obtain data from? It makes perfect sense to me.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
My response was meant to show that nowadays the sales of ALL music formats are being significantly under-reported. Who knows how many of the download sites are actually reporting to Nielsen/Soundscan? nuts.net, munckmusic, bandcamp, etc, in addition to artists' own Web sites. And direct sales (mostly of CD's) at concerts and through artists' Web sites are huge, and as I suggested those alone may exceed total worldwide sales of vinyl.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
the only detective work we need is substantiating the provenace of the master tapes used for reissued music (analog or digital). i dont see the point in finding numbers for the actual sales of TTs and vinyl as the 'truth' probably wont make his case and if you're not convinced by now why keep beating a dead hose:rolleyes:

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
the only detective work we need is substantiating the provenace of the master tapes used for reissued music (analog or digital). i dont see the point in finding numbers for the actual sales of TTs and vinyl as the 'truth' probably wont make his case and if you're not convinced by now why keep beating a dead hose:rolleyes:

+1

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
My response was meant to show that nowadays the sales of ALL music formats are being significantly under-reported. Who knows how many of the download sites are actually reporting to Nielsen/Soundscan? nuts.net, munckmusic, bandcamp, etc, in addition to artists' own Web sites. And direct sales (mostly of CD's) at concerts and through artists' Web sites are huge, and as I suggested those alone may exceed total worldwide sales of vinyl.

Yes but with CD sales, how much can it be off? A couple of pct? Conversely with LPs, it could be off 50-100%. I think the take home message is that the numbers show companies currently producing LPs as well as those that are contemplating doing th same that it's still worth their time and investment.

Personally, I don't understand for one moment the negativity that this post has engendered. And as far as Rob's comment, what does it have to be mutually exclusive and not complementary to what Michael is doing? Perhaps it's a good suggestion that he should take under advisement?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
But what's the point. Likely the only people who care about all those CD and download sales are the artists; other than having to report taxable income there is little reason to share that information. And who knows what the volume of all that unreported stuff really is? It's often very popular artists who are generating these sales; in addition to the two I mentioned, there is The Who, Dave Matthews Band, Genesis... many artists whose more "standard" releases typically sell in the millions.

Even for LP's, I don't see where the sales figures matter except to someone trying to demonstrate a "vinyl revival". As far as the companies are concerned, the only thing that really matters is the bottom line, and they already know that...

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I don't know that it's "negativity" as much as silliness and irrelevance. But it's all just opinion anyway...

Groucho

Aug 18, 2012
UK
It's funny how this at the start of the article
Most of us are convinced that the media regularly underreports record sales.

becomes this when he sends out the letter
Dear industry colleague:

As you know, both turntable and vinyl sales are hideously underreported by the media...

It doesn't seem very scientific or objective to tell your industry colleague what he "knows" before you've even asked him the question.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
It's funny how this at the start of the article

becomes this when he sends out the letter

It doesn't seem very scientific or objective to tell your industry colleague what he "knows" before you've even asked him the question.

How do you know he's wrong? The jury is out until MF receives enough replies to gauge what the sales appear to be vice what the sales are that are reported.

Groucho

Aug 18, 2012
UK
How do you know he's wrong? The jury is out until MF receives enough replies to gauge what the sales appear to be vice what the sales are that are reported.

I'm not saying that I know he's wrong about what he says, just that he's potentially skewed the data before he even starts.

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I must be missing something. I don't understand why " .... most privately held turntable manufacturers are under no obligation to divulge their sales figures, nor are they eager to do so for reasons that should be obvious."

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing