Good video on aspects of rooms and speakers

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
DallasJustice post this nice interview of Paul Hales of PHC speakers with Scott Wilkinson where he talks about speaker and room interactions. The views he expresses is that of "modern acoustics" which runs counter to what we traditionally thought we knew (and very much inline with the views of Dr. Toole, etc). While I have one or two areas of disagreement with him, as a whole, he is providing the right story and context.

Unfortunately the player they use for the video is special and you have to go to the site and watch it. And there is no speed controls so allocate the time to listen. It is worthwhile.

http://twit.tv/show/home-theater-geeks/164

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
THAT was stimulating...sacrilege to some, I would imagine :eek:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Indeed. I was surprised myself to hear his views and how he agreed with other experts in the field.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Very, very late to this thread, but great video. I can relate to his comments wrt bass energy. As much as people talk about the lack of ability for the human ear to localize bass at <80Hz, you can feel the energy which can be problematic with subs. The more I measure and listen I find that deviation from 0 degrees phase and increased distance from mains to subs exacerbates this affect. When the room loads at low frequencies it sounds "unnatural" for lack of a better descriptor.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing