Best of both worlds?

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
I'm looking to update the seating in my dedicated audio room / home theater.

I have some specific criteria I'm looking to meet as I select new seating, and wanted to get everyone's input and experiences with various options and products.
So if you gone through this process yourself, or if you have direct experience with a product (yours or at someone else place), please chime in.

I'll also use this thread to document my selection process and the outcome.

As noted, my room is a 'both worlds' room, with a primary emphasis on being as good a multichannel audio room as possible, while still providing a satisfying movie experience.
So from a seating perspective, I want to ensure the products block as little of the multichannel sound as possible. So even though my rear speakers are six-foot tall electrostats, I don't want to 'shade' then with tall seat-backs.

This almost immediately excludes the usual 'home theater' seating with 43" or taller backs.

But comfort while watching movies is still important, so an ideal seat will have a fold-up or adjustable headrest mechanism.

More criteria:
- Low seat-back when upright, less that 36" tall
- Adjustable headrest (both for height and for tilt when reclined)
- Ability to recline/incline seat
- No pop-out footrest, will use ottomans (but will yield on this if all other criteria is met)
- Contemporary style, open lower portions preferred from both aesthetics and acoustic perspectives
- quality construction

As for budget, not really a constraint, but not going crazy either. I have a strong sense of value, but also understand that quality often costs and being cheap on furniture is not always wise.

Look forward to your input and help on this one.

Thanks

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Good morning, Jonathan. I noticed that you did not mention anything about a beverage holder. Was this something that isn't that important to you or was it overlooked in your initial requirements? The only reason I ask is that a beverage holder would be important to me.

Tom

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I would look into Fortress Seating.

They will custom make just about ANYTHING to your specifications--upholstery/leather, firmness, height, depth, width, motor or manual recline, motorized tray tables, you name it.

http://www.fortresseating.com/home.php

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing