Thread: Best of both worlds?

Best of both worlds?

I'm looking to update the seating in my dedicated audio room / home theater.

I have some specific criteria I'm looking to meet as I select new seating, and wanted to get everyone's input and experiences with various options and products.
    So if you gone through this process yourself, or if you have direct experience with a product (yours or at someone else place), please chime in.

I'll also use this thread to document my selection process and the outcome.

As noted, my room is a 'both worlds' room, with a primary emphasis on being as good a multichannel audio room as possible, while still providing a satisfying movie experience.
    So from a seating perspective, I want to ensure the products block as little of the multichannel sound as possible. So even though my rear speakers are six-foot tall electrostats, I don't want to 'shade' then with tall seat-backs.

This almost immediately excludes the usual 'home theater' seating with 43" or taller backs.

But comfort while watching movies is still important, so an ideal seat will have a fold-up or adjustable headrest mechanism.

More criteria:
    - Low seat-back when upright, less that 36" tall
    - Adjustable headrest (both for height and for tilt when reclined)
    - Ability to recline/incline seat
    - No pop-out footrest, will use ottomans (but will yield on this if all other criteria is met)
    - Contemporary style, open lower portions preferred from both aesthetics and acoustic perspectives
    - quality construction

As for budget, not really a constraint, but not going crazy either. I have a strong sense of value, but also understand that quality often costs and being cheap on furniture is not always wise.

Look forward to your input and help on this one.

Thanks
    - Jonathan
    My System

An example of a nice seat that meets much of that criteria is this Ekorness recliner sofa, the Legend low-back. However, it lacks good head support for extended movie watching (think LOTR).
    http://www.ekornes.com/us/stressless...wback/3-seater
    - Jonathan
    My System

Good morning, Jonathan. I noticed that you did not mention anything about a beverage holder. Was this something that isn't that important to you or was it overlooked in your initial requirements? The only reason I ask is that a beverage holder would be important to me.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

I post my own opinions except when posting as a moderator in green.

thx Tom, not interested in beverage holders, so hopefully that expands the options (which seem pretty constrained already).
    - Jonathan
    My System

Site Founder And Administrator Steve Williams's Avatar
    Coto De Caza, California on the 13th fairway of the south golf course
    Steve Williams
    aka oneobgyn
    There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams BUT there's only "oneobgyn"
    Dealer Lamm Electronics
    My System

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! GaryProtein's Avatar
    I would look into Fortress Seating.

They will custom make just about ANYTHING to your specifications--upholstery/leather, firmness, height, depth, width, motor or manual recline, motorized tray tables, you name it.

http://www.fortresseating.com/home.php
    Listening Room: McIntosh C46, MCD500, MR78, MPI4, MC602 (2), Accuphase DG58, Pass Labs XVR1 (three-way), tri-amplified Infinity IRS Series V, TailTwister T2X rotator, AtlasSound FMA Rack, dedicated electrical sub-panel, boarded up fireplace, NO TV!

Living Room: McIntosh C28, MC2300, MEN220, Revox B226, Tascam CD355, Thorens TD125 MKII w/vacuum platter, Rabco SL-8E, Grace F9-Ruby, McIntosh ML-2C (2) & ML-1C (4) stacked, MQ-107, SAE 2800, Nakamichi Dragon, Tandberg 64X, JL Audio f113 (2)