Vintage McIntosh stuff

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
I recently sold a C22 and an MC225.

Last time I used them was at least 15 years ago. Powered them up slowly with a variac and ran them long enough for a listening test. They seemed to work very well and sounded good, at least I thought they did.

The fellow that bought them restored an old Atwater Kent for me. He is very knowledgeable about these kinds of things.

He said the electrolytic capacitors were toast, dried out. He also said the vintage ones have a finite life and will always go south whether they get used or not.

Does anyone here use this type of vintage equipment as a "daily driver"? I've been to Thailand numerous times and have seen these types of things displayed in showcases, not for sale.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I think you will find lots of people who use that very gear on a daily basis. They are both popular pieces and the MC225 has a big following world-wide.

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
use MX-110 tuner preamps in my second system. MX-110 is also a tape head preamp (NAB only) and MC-30 monos and have four MI-200 monster power amps to be rebuilt.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing