Room treatments....natural or commercial??

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Nature Boy

I think anyone that 100% relies on an acoustical treatment retailer to get setup, design and acoustical treatment advice about their room is making an error in judgment. There are perfectly qualified people that can make independent recommendations concerning room treatments, speaker placement, room construction etc. If you hire one of them and you follow their comprehensive advice, you will almost always come out better than taking the ad hoc approach.

As far as the so called natural approach goes: I guess I'd like to see some in-room bass measurements first. I assume this person has some clients, so it shouldn't be too much to ask for them to provide those in room measurements; frequency and time to be sure.

:)

Last edited:

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
A... JohnFo's is another room that is helluva cool with his lighted panels echoing the curves of his Logan stats.

Thanks Jack. For the rest, here's a link to a thread discussing acoustic treatments with multiple posts and pics of my setup.

Both Amir's installation and mine show what can be accomplished with tensioned fabric over the various treatments, and how one can artfully integrate a design that echoes some tech (like my ML panels re-used in the treatments) or a general architectural motif.

j_j

Jun 25, 2013
In the Rain
home.comcast.net
Bonded-fiber unfaced fiberglass insulation behind a light black scrim does fine.

In any case, room adjustment should be the first thing tried.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi Mark, well I partially agree with Pascal. I have my room treated (via a Rive's Audio plan) with synthetic fibers - most being a specific type of Owen's Corning fiber glass in strategic locations. Also I use a fair amount of wood (stained & lacquered pine). My room made amazing improvements with these synthetic fibers...

However, where I agree with Pascal is the older construction methods...like wood floors, wool rugs, and plaster walls. I've heard 2 systems, with very little treatments just sound fantastic. One is a member here Peter Rayer...I believe his home was built in the 1800's...maybe 1829 if I recall correctly.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing